Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466637 times)

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

How does one boulder make four blocks, OR one wall? But the same 4 blocks makes four walls.
Because dwarves will cut down the boulder bit by bit looking for the perfect bit of stone, but they use blocks just as they are.

Why do female dwarves not have beards?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
It's partially a genetic trait, partially an ethnic one.
Some dwarven gene strands simply don't have a dwarven beard gene on the X Chromosome, while others do.
Sometimes Female Dwarves are permitted to shave for no good reason, other times they're expected to keep the beards like everyone else.

Why are skulls so fragile?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Armok would be bored if they were durable.

Why does a pond filled with 6/7 water still be filled with 6/7 water after dumping your entire fortresses' stone supply in it?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Why does a pond filled with 6/7 water still be filled with 6/7 water after dumping your entire fortresses' stone supply in it?
For the same reason that you can put the entire stone supply on one square in the first place.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

The Tragic lack of Questions make me sad.  :'(

How Are dwarves aware of certain things from across far distances (i.E., Know that cat they've never seen and that just adopted them are dead, or that relatives are dead) But cant tell that gobins are right behind the corner?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all in dwarven telepathy. All non-evil entities have a telepathic link in the quantum sphere that lets their brains interact. Evil creature's brains are different. Their internal quantum foam structure resonates on a different spectral sub-frequency that negates any telepathic abilities.

Why do I know how that works?

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

It's all in dwarven telepathy. All non-evil entities have a telepathic link in the quantum sphere that lets their brains interact. Evil creature's brains are different. Their internal quantum foam structure resonates on a different spectral sub-frequency that negates any telepathic abilities.

Why do I know how that works?
Obviously, you're a dwarf.
Or at least a tall one.

What happens when you drop the entire mountain into Hell (Using the special Slade Mining Technique)?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

It turns into flat land.

Why can't we truly set up our dorfs upon embark? We can pick skills and the stuff they bring, but we can't customize their looks, likes, dislikes, relationships or families. What gives?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

It turns into flat land.

Why can't we truly set up our dorfs upon embark? We can pick skills and the stuff they bring, but we can't customize their looks, likes, dislikes, relationships or families. What gives?
The idea behind it is that they're not just something created right on the spot.
The idea is that they're a team of seven selected by the queen/king to go make a new outpost.

How do you make something from Chicken Leather?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With great difficulty and care.

Why are dwarves the only creatures that can successfully rock a turkey leather thong with style?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Because only dwarves are in the Mood.

How come no dwarf worships Armok like they do with other gods?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

Because only dwarves are in the Mood.

How come no dwarf worships Armok like they do with other gods?
Because Armok would explode them into a fine mist if they started building temples to him instead of killing things.

Would sufficiently large dwarven water guns, when sprayed in below-freezing conditions, cause instant killing of whatever they hit?
My wooden badge was delicious.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Yes.

What would happen if a dwarf invented a magma super soaker?
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

The dwarf would use it on itself, taking suicide and unfortunately destroying the device.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Why can dwarves build a computer out of nothing but large quantities of axles and gears, but cannot build a wall because there is a piece of thread there?

WellBredMutt

• Bay Watcher
  • Go to the Neuro Tower.
    • View Profile

Why can dwarves build a computer out of nothing but large quantities of axles and gears, but cannot build a wall because there is a piece of thread there?

Because computers are brainy and undwarven things that are only built because a command came from on high. But the honorable task of creating a military defense wall of fine stone requires perfection.

Why can 99 dragons occupy the same tile as long as only one is standing?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 301