Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466730 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

You did assign it to her, right?

Why do people think dwarves are stupid? They've mastered Quantum &^%$ing Mechanics!

Because they haven't mastered basic survival instincts.

If no one leaves my map alive, and my fortress is air-tight how come the goblins know I have a lot of wealth?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile

Rumors. Legends. Superstition. Also because of the fact no one comes back, they reason that you have to be hiding something. Something valuable.

How does one simulate the last stand of 300 in DF, what with most sieges not exactly numbering in the hundereds of thousands and most PCs hardly running at 100 dwarves?
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arena? Or Supercomputer. Or both. Or you could find a really big city and steal 1 berry in adventure mode.

Why do my minetracks (which have been weaponized to perpetually run minecarts into anyone in it's path) seem like the best place to go if a dwarf is startled?
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

How does one simulate the last stand of 300 in DF, what with most sieges not exactly numbering in the hundereds of thousands and most PCs hardly running at 100 dwarves?

Simple, set pop cap at 400 in d_init file, and provoke different, but important not at war countries, and fight off the humans, elves, and gobbos at once. It iseven better cause in the movie, persia was supposed to be "the empire of a thousand nations".

Why do my minetracks (which have been weaponized to perpetually run minecarts into anyone in it's path) seem like the best place to go if a dwarf is startled?

Simple, Suicide. They cant go on in this crazy world.

You did assign it to her, right?

Yes, she IS assigned to it, B****. anyway, Why do dwarves feel compelled to use the blunt side of spears and axes? You're DOING IT WRONG!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile

It's not always nessisarily blunt. Take Spartan spears for example. They have a main stabby part, yes, but on the other side is a counterweight that is also slightly pointy, which can be used as a weapon if you have somebody behind you and you can't take the time to turn around. Like an elbow to the stomach, I guess.

Axes, swords and daggers, though, I have no idea.

Why hasn't stockholm syndrom been added into the game yet? And where the hell are the gobbos' siege weapons?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:57:15 pm by Orky_Boss »

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what do mean, not implemented? prisoners take a look at those *masterwork iron bars* and they never want to leave! as for the gobbos, they are in fact amassing the supplies to launch an all-out mechanized invasion of the mountain homes. so yeah.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile

Why hasn't stockholm syndrom been added into the game yet? And where the hell are the gobbos' siege weapons?

Stockholm Syndrome hasn't been added in because prisoners/captives/whatever are put in cages. Cages, as of now, are chambers of suspended animation, with nothing in them really living as much as just existing.
Once released from cages, captives stop being captives - they're allowed to run rampant all over your turf, or at least they think so. As such, you're not their captor anymore. In their minds.

As for siege weapons - well, notice gobbos don't bring any siege engineers nor packmules with them when coming over. As such, they can't take siege weapon parts with them, with which they could assemble some - and even if they did, they don't bring anyone who would know how to put the bloody things together.

Now, for my questions:

Why does everything - EVERYTHING - immediately die if some knee-deep (2/7) water freezes while the poor anything was wading through it?
Every single drop of water in and on their body freezes. If the freezing of their vital fluids doesn't kill them, like in the case of Element men, then they flat out get torn apart by water expanding in any crevice.
Why does nothing die when walking around when it's winter, or even a snowstorm?

...okay, maybe I'll give you some other question.

Dwarven green glass. Almost every object can be made out of it, and then it never breaks, and it's made solely out of sand, which despite having many colours always becomes green glass! How do they achieve such durability, versatility, and colour?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Now, for my questions:
Why does everything - EVERYTHING - immediately die if some knee-deep (2/7) water freezes while the poor anything was wading through it?
Every single drop of water in and on their body freezes. If the freezing of their vital fluids doesn't kill them, like in the case of Element men, then they flat out get torn apart by water expanding in any crevice.
Why does nothing die when walking around when it's winter, or even a snowstorm?
A snow storm is gradual temperature change. The water freezing is literally instantaneous. That's like being thrown into a hot bath versus slowly edging your way in.

...okay, maybe I'll give you some other question.

Dwarven green glass. Almost every object can be made out of it, and then it never breaks, and it's made solely out of sand, which despite having many colours always becomes green glass! How do they achieve such durability, versatility, and colour?

As to how they make it all green, I ain'ts got no idea.
Dwarven Glass is extremely thick. Your average human pane might be a quarter, maybe half inch thick. Dwarven glass is three feet thick on average. It should also be mention that it's infused with Adamantine Super Cross-Joints in the atoms. (Technobabble, how I love you so.) The adamantine can keep it from shattering under even the greatest force.

Why do Demons have the power to warp Slade?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

[derail]
Most glass has a slight green tint because of iron oxide impurities, which are common in silica (sand).  A green tint is still noticable in modern soda-lime glass, but the tint is much more pronounced in glass that has not been treated with manganese. 

Other colors of glass are usually produced by the addition of various elements (titanium, cadmium, sulfer, cobalt, chromium, uranium, ) that may not always be accessable with the level of technology available to dwarves.

OTOH, dwarves are able to smelt iron, copper, gold and nickel, which can all be used to color glass as well.  I don't know whether the techniques required to make glass with these compounds also require other more advanced technology, but it sure would be awesome to make blue, ruby and cranberry glass!
[/derail]
At last, she is done.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because there Armok's children.

[ETHIC:HARM_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE] is in elven raws, but they eat plants. What?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

They extract the edible part without causing harm. Picking an apple won't harm the tree (usually).

Why are pickaxes such brutally efficient weapons?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Because they're pointy, heavy, and easy to train.

Why do dwarves walk over placed cabinets, coffins, chairs, tables and other bits of furniture?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

To get to the other side?

Why do your dwarfs let captured necromancers re-raise the contents of your butcher shop as they're marched from their cages to the execution tower?
At last, she is done.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Because the dwarves heard it would be fun. And it was !!FUN!!, just not as they expected.

I was looking threough legends, and saw that the elves declared war on a kobold civ for hating animals. There were 800 kobold defenders, versus 1900 elves. At the end of the day, there were 300 (yes, 300, I just noticed) remaining defenders, and 800 elves. The elves sued for peace. How the hell did the kobolds achieve this? for every 5 kobolds, 11 elves died.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile

The story of the 300 spartans is a widely known tale, even across dimnsions and video games, apparently.

Not really a wtf, but how do you search for wars and battles specifically?

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 301