Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 467342 times)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

grabbing a barrel and drinking its content directly is just more fun.... A dwarf would never be pleased with the small amount of booze a mug can hold.

How is it possible that this farmer got 50 Kills but yet has no weapon- or fightingskills?  :o

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's been abusing his livestock..

Why are marksdwarfs so damn stupid?

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

It's a well-known fact that dwaves are, by nature, axe or hammer users, though they can become proficient with most any weapon. When a ranged weapon weapon was first presented to them, one dwarf decided to beat the crap out of the test target with it. The crossbow's firing mechanism accidentally triggered just after the first hit, ripping apart the target and forever convincing the dwarves that it was an amazingly effective melee weapon with the added bonus of maybe hitting from longer away. Most dwarves don't even consider the latter, since it's not dwarfy enough to attack without possibility of death.

What's up with the lack of considerable convection?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

It's a well-known fact that dwaves are, by nature, axe or hammer users, though they can become proficient with most any weapon. When a ranged weapon weapon was first presented to them, one dwarf decided to beat the crap out of the test target with it. The crossbow's firing mechanism accidentally triggered just after the first hit, ripping apart the target and forever convincing the dwarves that it was an amazingly effective melee weapon with the added bonus of maybe hitting from longer away. Most dwarves don't even consider the latter, since it's not dwarfy enough to attack without possibility of death.

What's up with the lack of considerable convection?

Dwarven physics has yet to perceive the concept of convection, and as they can't observe it it doesn't happen.

How can infinite amounts of stone blocks fit into a single bin?
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Stack them on top of each other. Dwarven Jenga.

How do the dorfs make thousands of green glass serrated discs without ever depleting that one tile of sand?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Because the dwarves only use a few grains of sand for each piece of glass. It will run out, You just need to make them take everything.

How can bolts manage to puncture candy armor?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

How can bolts manage to puncture candy armor?

As said so by the holy embark screen, only three things can pierce adamantine armour with ease.

The bolt, the plow, and the hook.

Lycans.

How do they work?!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Well, "lycan" means wolf, so they work by hunting deer and sheep.

Why do people call werewolves "lycans," and were-something-other-than-wolves "lycanthropes" (which means something like "wolf-men")?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile

Because the hipster Werewolves were Lycans before it was mainstream.

Why are Dorfs all scottish?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because all scots are dwarfs

Why can't goblins open doors?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile

Because they try pushing and pulling the door, never knowing how a door knob works.

How come superlight adamantine doesn't float?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

Because its not actually light in density, it just warps space around it.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Because its not actually light in density, it just warps space around it.
Because. ((Answer > Question.))

Why does physics work?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it didn't, it'd be too hard to post here to ask the question.

Why can almost nobody, dorf, human or otherwise, swim? There are rivers and lakes (&@#%* everywhere!
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile

'Cos water in dwarf fortress is actually some sort of sticky blue goo of bouncing drowning.

If an elf falls in the dwarf-made bottomless pit and there's no one to hear it, does it still make a sound?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 301