Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454980 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

!!Evolution!!

Why do military dwarves feel the urge to KILL EVERY LIVING CREATURE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET that aren't traders or dwarves?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Normal dwarves feel it too, military dwarves just express it better.

Why do goblins insist on taking the shorter route into my fort even though it's covered in blood?

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile

Because they belive in the idiodic motto of:

"If it doesn't work the first time, try, try again."

Why have dwarves so far not have weaponized mounted soldiers/weaponry/combat, despite having even weaponized BREEDING?
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Sitting on the animal, rather than letting it fight alone, only reduces the number of individual fights that can occur. Quantity over quality is the dwarven way, after all.

Why has Armok not gifted the world with mages beyond necromancy?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because necromancers are !!FUN!! enough.

Why does the section of ocean that could flood my fortress with waves not producing waves?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're waiting for the most Fun moment to happen.

How can a forgotten beast take down a fully trained militia and then die to a single child?

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your militia was worthless. The FB knew that and wanted to show you, who is REALLY good at defending your fortress.

Why cant the elves bring me some metal? They must have gotten the same goblinite source then i?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

They disintegrate the goblinite with magic that has yet to be implemented.
Because time travel is a valid excuse in a universe where the constants gradually change.

Why hasn't Toady implemented magic into the game(play) yet? Necromancy does not count.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They disintegrate the goblinite with magic that has yet to be implemented.
Because time travel is a valid excuse in a universe where the constants gradually change.

Why hasn't Toady implemented magic into the game(play) yet? Necromancy does not count.

I dont know, letting dead people walk, fight, chew on their friends and possibly dance sounds really magical to me...

Why are bolts out of Candy so useless, while a spear out of candy is overly good?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

You didn't know this one? Candy can form a perfect edge or point, but has the density of styrofoam. It doesn't matter how sharp it is if it can get blown off course by a monarch butterfly (BUTTERFLY CONSPIRACY). So basically, a candy bolt doesn't have the inertia to penetrate anything when fired, even if it's really damned sharp.

How do goblin snatchers teleport off your map as soon as they snaffle a minor?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You didn't know this one? Candy can form a perfect edge or point, but has the density of styrofoam. It doesn't matter how sharp it is if it can get blown off course by a monarch butterfly (BUTTERFLY CONSPIRACY). So basically, a candy bolt doesn't have the inertia to penetrate anything when fired, even if it's really damned sharp.

So, if i fire it, it will do nothing, but if i stab someone with it, he will drop dead? Genius, i need Dwarfes stabbing people with cand-bolts!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

So, if i fire it, it will do nothing, but if i stab someone with it, he will drop dead? Genius, i need Dwarfes stabbing people with cand-bolts!
Or you could melt down the bolts one by one and make 2.5 spears out of one candy. Except it requires a technique you'd have to look up :(
My wooden badge was delicious.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It makes more sense than you'd think. Stabbing somebody with an object lets you put the force of your own strength behind it; using it as a projectile depends entirely on the projectile's momentum (speed * mass). Since adamantine has very little mass, it has very little momentum; but because it is so rigid, it is excellent for transferring the kinetic energy in a dorf's arm into the body of a hapless goblin. It seems counterintuitive only because of adamantium's extremely odd material properties.

How do goblin snatchers teleport off your map as soon as they snaffle a minor?
Seems you've answered your own question: They teleport. Goblins are, as we all know, secretly a hyperadvanced civilization which invented the art of teleportation long ago. Unfortunately, they can't teleport into the fortress because there's no way of knowing whether they'll end up wedged into a wall or have a random kitten forcibly implanted into their spleens; but once they're in and have their target bagged up, they use their super-advanced psionic implants to call for teleportation back out.

Why do dwarves show no ill effects from working with substances like pitchblende, cinnabar, and lead?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Oh, they feel it alright, but the alcohol dilutes the sensations that they feel, so they don't complain.

Who created Armok?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile

Energy.

Why doesn't magma cool into anything other than obsidian?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 301