Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 453797 times)

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The planet that the story of Dwarf Fortress takes place on has an extremely thin but dense atmosphere.  There essentially is no air above the ground level.  The heavy gravity of the planet ensures short falls are deadly and that dwarves are short and stout.

Why is it my dwarf dresses like a bee keeper, when I've told him he is not allowed to be a bee keeper, but instead a carpenter?  It seems a little eccentric...

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile

his beard is afraid he is going to get stung by bees wile he makes beds, training weapons, and coffins.

(insert witty question here)?

i'm expecting an answer to the witty question you must first think of! and just the answer not the question itself!
MWA HA HA HA HA!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:35:39 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First, beards are not strong enough to wield twenty whale corpses, and second, you're sick to think of a dwarf doing that to a kobold, and the thought alone makes me have nightmares.

Why haven't any types of transportation been invented yet?
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile

There isn't anywhere worth going to yet.

Who makes the candy swords and the carnival buildings?
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

It's where Armok keeps the extra materials while he's building the rest of the world. The candy swords are his toothpicks, he tends to create worlds on a full stomach.

why do some animals not have to eat?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

Because they ate before arriving on screen. Yes, even if they were born on screen. Try not to think about it too hard.

What's the easiest way to keep a lava pump stack from killing your FPS? Aside from not building it or keeping it turned off, I mean.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Throwing things into it, obviously, to satisfy its fatal hunger that eats your FPS. (And also reduces the amount of UNITS on your screen, which is good for FPS)

Any interesting things to !!RESEARCH!! that haven't been done yet? (11pm, can't think of any good things)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK, it's unknown how well weapons made out of food work. Hop to it.

Why aren't there provisions to make lava lethal on contact when temperature is off?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because Toady must be working on coding up molasses still.  Lava will act like that as well as being hot in the future.

Why does a race of Axe, pick and spear-lovers name its children Dagger so often?

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they're so smart.  ;)

Why does everything menace with spikes?
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because it couldn't serrrate with disks.

Why can a copper pick pierce a perfectly rigid material?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile

Do you doubt the mastery and perfection of dwarven forging, lad? What daftness.

How does a human diplomat see where he's going when navigating a dwarven fortress hundreds of z-levels below the surface with no light source?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are signposts. Invaders know directions as well, and how else?

Where do the Forgotten Beasts come from?

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile

There are signposts. Invaders know directions as well, and how else?

Where do the Forgotten Beasts come from?

Australia. (Look at a platypus and argue the point. It can't be done with a straight face.)

Why do my miners ALWAYS leave a few tiles undug when they run off to the next room, preventing the nearly-dug room from being used as intended?
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

Because they got bored, and plan on coming back to it when it's exciting again.

Why do diplomats appear close to goblin ambushes, at the same time as said ambushes, so very often?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 301