Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454226 times)

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The defining trait of brooks is that over centuries, they form a layer of semisolid foam. Once breached, this will take a similar amount of time to replenish, which is why channeling it away leaves an effectively-permanent gap.

Why do dwarves insist on stripping a corpse before bringing it back to the fortress for burial, instead of more efficiently stripping it after (or just burying the poor fallen dorf with all his/her possessions)?

All the other dwarves tell themselves they are lightening the load for the last dwarf that gets there and has to carry the naked corpse...

Why do cattle kill each other over a single patch of grass when there's plenty more in the pasture?

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do invaders or bandits seem only to have a breastplate and a helm? And nothing else?

They descend from the first followers of Winnie the Pooh, he who wears no pants.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do dwarves insist on stripping a corpse before bringing it back to the fortress for burial, instead of more efficiently stripping it after (or just burying the poor fallen dorf with all his/her possessions)?
Clothing in DF is designed to be EXTREMELY loose-fitting and easy to remove, (This is why, when you lop off an arm, the glove falls at their feet instead of flying off with the arm.) This is likely to make the spores' journey a lot easier.

Why do cattle kill each other over a single patch of grass when there's plenty more in the pasture?
For cows, pastures are a lot like prisons. You either constantly establish that you're not to be messed with, or you're a doormat.

Why can you sneak up on enemies on a completely exposed, barren mountainside?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

After years and years in the caverns, dwarves are covered in layers of filth that is so neutral in color that it allows camouflage in any shade of grey or brown environment. Also, they're shorter and easier to conceal.
And if you're doing adventure mode as a human or elf, though, there's always giant rock costumes for old-timey Solid Snake antics.

How do nobles know about slade, and why do they think it's obtainable?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile

Because they Really belong in slade rooms.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

Why is it that, after *quality questions, someone replies to a question posted a long time ago, and then someone else forgets to ask a question?

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No clue...

Do dwarf still ignore liquid items when cooking, also, how were roast made of pure booze possible?
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile

No, cooking needs a solid ingredient now, roasts made of pure booze is possible because if you boil anything long enough eventually you'll have something semi-solid. (Charcoal, dust, minerals, the pan, etc.)

Why do kobolds insist on stealing socks, metal baubles, and useless junk instead of food(So they don't die before year 2)?
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They look nic- wait, year 2? They die for me at year 4.

Why do we like, somewhat, kobolds?
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

I answered this question in another thread

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look at him, he's just a sad little man. He knows dorfs hate having lots of rocks so he just starts breaking rocks, maybe you'll let him be a dorf if he breaks enough rocks...

Why do dwarves notice enemies outside the fort and then run outside of the fort to get away?

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, they pretty cute. Also a stab to the head is less painful then being beaten, straved, crushed, burned, drowned, etc. Dwarf forts are death traps!

Why don't dwarfs eat sapinets? Dwarfs should be able to eat trolls and what not.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile

Why do dwarves notice enemies outside the fort and then run outside of the fort to get away?

Because no matter what dangerous thing is outside, the nobles are probably still inside. Which would you pick? (Not my question, a rhetorical).

Why don't dwarfs eat sapinets? Dwarfs should be able to eat trolls and what not.

Because it's creepy having your stomach growl when you're really not hungry.

How is it that dwarves get so very attached to clothes, other dwarves, socks, cats, masterpieces and useless lay-about artifacts, yet still seem like emotionless monsters?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How is it that dwarves get so very attached to clothes, other dwarves, socks, cats, masterpieces and useless lay-about artifacts, yet still seem like emotionless monsters?
Because it's actually a capitalist society.

Why the hell do we still
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Shhh, let the new people give in to greed..

Why can't we buy mechanisms on embark?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because, without a intelligent administration (player), dwarves are naturally not smart enough to use mechanisms for any purpose, other than simply building them.

Why can't you build windmills anywhere else but on ground level?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 301