Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466067 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile

Have you ever been to temperate wetlands?

Why can't I burn peat?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[I actually live in a temperate wetland area (Chesapeake Bay) and while it's not very exciting, I'm pretty sure we have more than four kinds of animals living here.]

If you had something that served as both soil and fuel, that would just be cheating.

Why haven't dwarves developed racial prejudices despite the clear existence of physical types within a civilization?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile

Dwarves transcend such pettiness that only fools like Humans bring upon themselves.

What happened to the idea of Dwarven dropships?
I do stuff, I guess

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

The kittens kept exploding so the project was deemed a partial success and abandoned like the rest.

How many other forums would that response make perfect sense on?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not many, considering that this is the only big DF forum.

How is water in the caverns not stagnant?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It gets aerated whenever the cave crocodiles swim in it.

Why can't we butcher giant sponges and use the pieces for more effective cleaning?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cleaning? Is that a type of fish?

Why can't we pelt snail men with rock salt pebbles?
I do stuff, I guess

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried arming a catapult with rock salt boulders?

Is warm stone in DF actually warm or hot?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile

Trick question. Warm and hot are merely degrees of Magma.  Break open that rock to get a true measure of Magma.

Why isn't there catnip in the game yet? I like my cats in the extra crazy flavor.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only way dwarves could consume catnip is for tea.  Tea is for elves.

Why haven't dwarves discovered cordials yet?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because a cordial implies cordiality. And cordiality implies sanity. And politeness. And a whole HOST AND A HALF of other COMPLETELY NONDWARVENLY things that we don't go into.

Why haven't the dwarves discovered the plague yet?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile

They have. Their plague is greed.

Why haven't Dwarves accepted Elves yet?

Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

They have, many times in fact. But in the tight quarters of a dwarven fortress, the plague spreads very very quickly. Combined with their tendency to seal themselves off unless they have a reason to unseal themselves rather than the other way around, and you've got a recipe for a lot of dead dwarves in a very short time. Those who do survive and escape are usually completely insane, and rave on and on about demons and monsters coming from the depths and destroying their homes, having no other way to articulate the idea of a syndrome that spreads by entirely invisible means.

*grumbles about ninjas*

They're too cave adapted to even consider going outside to meet them. At the same time, the elves are far to claustrophobic to go to the dwarves' underground home. The result is that the only time dwarves and elves meet is in the meeting room when the elves ask the dwarves to limit their logging or on the battlefield as a direct result of the first case, neither of these environments being very conducive to compassion and understanding.

Why is seemingly every other dwarf either a fishery worker or a ranger, when the dwarven caravans carry almost no animals and very little fish?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:25:00 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All the rangers and fishery workers have moved out of the Mountainhomes.

Why does a hunter insist on sticking every last single bolt in his quiver into a creature when he can easily go bludgeon its head in when it's unconscious?
I do stuff, I guess

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because hunters do not use the same data as military crossbowdwarves do, and therefore attempt to use arrows before going all hammer-dwarf on the target.

Why do military dwarves prefer to use perfectly good crossbows with perfectly good crossbow bolts to bludgeon enemies?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 301