Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454474 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

It would be decidedly more... elvish... (Ahh! Blasphemy!)

Why must kittens brave all odds, climbing though staircases, airlocks, and several pet-tight doors in order to crawl their lowly selves into my danger room only to be impaled on wooden spears?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those kittens are sacrifices in the name of the Great Feline Conspiracy. By transmitting some of their misery to their mind-controlled dwarven hosts, they work toward the downfall of dwarven civilization, one tantrum at a time.

Why, when told to go to an indoor burrow, do dwarves who happen to be outdoors run away from the entrance(s) and right toward the attacking goblins, only to complain about the "interruptions", mill about in confusion, and get shot, impaled, hacked apart, pounded to a pulp, or otherwise brutally slain?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Their beards are too thick to process the "Get in burrow" command.

What would dwarves be like if beards didnt exist?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

What would dwarves be like if beards didnt exist?

Female.

Why does the wind never change on a given map?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

The wind continuously goes in the same direction, all around the world. This is due to a strange gravitational setup with the dwarves' flat planet- the moon is always in the same spot, drawing air towards it. New air fill the void at the other side of the world.

What will the first use of electricity be if dwarves discover it?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Electric motors to spin those cotton candy serrated discs even faster.

Why can a dwarf (I'm currently in adventure mode, hunting) haul 10 rhinoceros corpses, 7 giraffe corpses, 5 gazelle corpses, 2 honey badger corpses, and 130 copper bolts and still be able to move?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile

because dwarves don't get an encumbrance penalty.

why doesn't the sun set in fortress mode?
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile

Because DF world has an empty border,so the sun and moon need to be generated every morning and everning and this would cause massive lag if your fort have more than 1 kitten.

why dwarfs are short?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

because dwarves don't get an encumbrance penalty.

why doesn't the sun set in fortress mode?

Because Armok scares the shit out of the Sun god.

--- --- ---

Dwarves are short because their dense beards defy gravity, pulling them down towards the ground.

Question:

How do goblins find that one accidental opening in the massive layer of walls surrounding my hillside fortress by walking from a hill to the top of a long link of walls, to go down an abandoned construction ramp, to be discovered only once they've gone all the way down the constantly-traveled lengthy road into my fortress without being spotted?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

Because you don't pay enough attention, and goblins are sneaky bastards.

Why, given that we have a pause button, do so many easily avoidable bad things happen?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

Because you don't pay enough attention, and goblins are sneaky bastards.

Why, given that we have a pause button, do so many easily avoidable bad things happen?

Because our fortresses are engineered to fail. ((And to your answer: considering how I'm an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist who spends ridiculous amounts of time just covering embark basics, with an extreme penchant for perfect symmetry and designs, its so saddening that I miss places. Here's an example of me spending hours using XP Paint to make designs. http://maximilian-aurea.deviantart.com/art/Chaotic-Origins-134661047 Zoom in to go "How long did it take to make that!? Answer is, 4 months at maximum possible zoom, one pixel at a time, a few hours a day.))

Why is it that I can spend 15 hours designing my fortress only to have a random fucking pool of water completely murder my design by being in the most utterly horrible location possible? That and freezing ponds/moats, I hate you.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cuz you must dig deeper to have a true dwarven fortress

why is it that severed limbs and organs do more damage than a conventional weapon?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

Cuz you must dig deeper to have a true dwarven fortress

why is it that severed limbs and organs do more damage than a conventional weapon?

Because DF gives you bonus points for killing an elf swordsman with his own leg.

Question:

Why would anyone willingly befriend the Elves?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

Because cloth trade is useful.

How many people here actually understand the origin of the hatred of the elves and aren't just spouting old memes in an attempt to appear funny?
*Hugs*

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few I assume.

Didn't it start because they demanded you not to cut trees, offer wood goods, or plant/animal products, even though they themself do all of that without even a hint of irony?
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 301