Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466191 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Lights gnomeb on fire.

Wait, what the hell is a gnomeb?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The plural of "gnomes" when you have hayfever.

Why does time in fortress mode go so damn fast? Like it takes one day for a normal dwarf to take 20 steps :/
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

Simply a translation error. What we have labelled a "year", they call a single day. Yes, seven dorfs can build a fort in a single day. They're DORFS DAMMIT.

What is the most dangerous plant in Dwarf Fortress?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile

Plump helmets.
It's a stage in the life cycle of the plump helmet fungus. They infest vermin corpses due to their being small enough to be shaded by grass and such, much like they infest corpses and food left in the dark to rot, producing clouds of spores. These spores interfere with dorf reproductive spores and have become associated with frustration and disgust, hence why they are called miasma and make dorfs sick. If left alone long enough they will take up root as plump helmet plants which then send out spores into the local environment in an attempt to find other corpses to decompose. When they are unable to do so they enter a new stage in the life cycle wherein they grow limbs and are known as plump helmet men, which move around until they find a suitable area and upon death provide food for more vermin.

Should I start playing DF?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plump helmets.
It's a stage in the life cycle of the plump helmet fungus. They infest vermin corpses due to their being small enough to be shaded by grass and such, much like they infest corpses and food left in the dark to rot, producing clouds of spores. These spores interfere with dorf reproductive spores and have become associated with frustration and disgust, hence why they are called miasma and make dorfs sick. If left alone long enough they will take up root as plump helmet plants which then send out spores into the local environment in an attempt to find other corpses to decompose. When they are unable to do so they enter a new stage in the life cycle wherein they grow limbs and are known as plump helmet men, which move around until they find a suitable area and upon death provide food for more vermin.

Yes, or else the dwarves shall rise up and transform you into !!McDonald!! for the heresy of not doing so.

Why do Kobolds steal almost exclusively bone, stone & wood jewelry?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

They've never seen glass, metal or gems before except for their copper daggers, so they assume they have some kind of cursed demonic power that they can avoid by going for the more familiar materials

Why do my dwarves keep walking while they vomit, spreading it over the entire entryway?

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They've never seen glass, metal or gems before except for their copper daggers, so they assume they have some kind of cursed demonic power that they can avoid by going for the more familiar materials

Why do my dwarves keep walking while they vomit, spreading it over the entire entryway?
They want the elves to share in its green glory. Or, dwarves are so used to it (drunkeness) that they just don't pay it any attention.

Why do dwarves feel the need to collect the fallens' socks?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To commemorate their sacrifices.  Statues crumble and engravings wear away, but Xpig tail fiber socksX are forever.

How do the dwarves get a staircase carved from fucking sand to hold its shape?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

It helps if you soak it in vomit first and let it set.

Did I just invent vomit-cement?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes.  I don't know if you should be proud or ashamed.

How the hell did I get otter blood in my aquifer?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

By piercing the aquifer you've disturbed the natural clime of the aquifer otter, leading to their extinction at the hands of vicious predators.

With no such thing as nipples, how do dwarves milk anything?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

*ahem, ahem*

You haven't already?

Why has MacDonwald not started playing DF?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Because he found the forum while meditating in a monastery at the top of a Himalayan mountain and went straight down, skipping the DF boards.
With no such thing as nipples, how do dwarves milk anything?
They tear the animal's mammaries open with their bare fists, take the milk, then slam them shut.

How do dorfs produce cheese so quickly?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's all soft cheese that doesn't take real long to make.  They're missing out on cave-aged cheddar, but then again dwarves are none too bright.

Why can't you use peat as fuel?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pete? Who's he?

Why can't you build near the edge of your fortress' territory?
()==[:::::::::::::>
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 301