Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 467363 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're shy, and don't ever mine where they might be observed.

Why do military dwarves attack everything but their designated target, given the choice?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Your entire military is planning a rebellion against your cruel, omnipotent rule. these are the first signs shown in every fortress. Euthanize them immediately.

Why do dwarves complain about carrying new shiny things across a river due to 'dangerous terrain,' but don't hesitate to construct a floor over a volcano caldera?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Volcanoes rarely have carp.

Why don't monarchs have any sort of material or item preferences whatsoever?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile

Volcanoes rarely have carp.

Why don't monarchs have any sort of material or item preferences whatsoever?

They were pregenned with the world, your dwarfs are made on the spot.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Why do a pool of blood and a pool of magma look exactly the same? (Both bright red double-tildes IIRC)
Blood is dark red.
Since the previous poster didn't put his/her own question...
Why do marksdwarves always insist on using the good metal bolts on the ranges?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they are uppity soldiers who absolutely ust use the highest quality item, no matter what1 you can, however, give them a VERY STERN talking to in the military menu, and supply them with bone bolts for training only and metal bolts for combat.

why can dwarves only make rock swords from obsidian?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obsidian IS a rock (or close enough, in game terms; a stone). Specifically, one that cleaves into very sharp pieces, which can then be set in a length of wood. Rocks with that property are relatively rare.

Why do underground plants, sealed away from the elements on the surface, have seasonal cycles, whereas all surface plants are year-round?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cuz dwarves dont want to farm all the different plants all season every year that would suck!

Why does the dwarven steel battle axe with proffesional skill glance off a human iron breastplate but a good punch from a novice jam the rib right through the lung?

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dwarf you are commanding was eager to show his squad-mates his Karate prowess, and so allowed his axe to be blocked so as to increase the punch's impressiveness.

Why are dwarven ghosts represented by such strange characters on-screen?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Because dwarven ghosts ARE pretty strange characters.

Why haven't dwarves obtained gunpowder yet?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why haven't dwarves obtained gunpowder yet?

Dwarves have discovered the secret of gunpowder no less than 278 times. To date, no survivors have been found.

Why are dwarven children not satisfied with my lovingly crafted gabbro toys, and instead seek to incite insubordination by declaring parties all day long?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If YOU had the choice to either Party or play with rock toys, which would you do?

Why can you dump an infinite amount of items onto a single square?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

For the same reason 2 kiitens can't stand beside each other but 10000 dragons can share a tile as long as 9999 of them are lying down.
*Hugs*

Komra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why can you dump an infinite amount of items onto a single square?

Or, the items are stacked atop one another. since layers are variably high (see: fitting titans in a DWARF-size fortress with no issue), a perfectly-balanced stack can go as high as it needs to be.

how do dwarves know that they have been adopted by a kitten?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Ever wake up with a cat lying on your face? That's how they know.

With all the inventions of the day, why am I forced to mod in shovels?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 301