Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454490 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Clearly, a dwarven crossbow is very unlike a normal one. Considering that a wooden crossbow contains no metal parts, nor any string, we can only conclude that the construction of said crossbow relies more on a kind of double brace mechanism than on a normal brace + string mechanism.

(Imagine 2 braces, with the "tips" that would normally be where a bow string attaches, fully attached to each other, so instead of this: |) you have this (). Now, imagine a screw gear between those two, and a mechanical disengagement. The rear brace has notches in it to lock the arrow.)

Why do dwarves insist on doing thing in the strangest possible fashion like this?

Edit: Ninja ninja ninja! It's always about the ninja!

Why do nobles always lose their temper so easily?
You try having ti reconcile thoughts of being opposed to tradition, with having to uphold tradition by holding a traditional office some time!  Doublethink; It ain't just in Orwell novels!

(See above question.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:28:51 pm by wierd »

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Question!

Why don't dwarves use mugs as weapons?

They don't use em for anything else...
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Wierd: Because if their technology doesn't make any sense except to them, those filthy elves can't steal it.

Nidilap: Mugs simply aren't heavy enough to make good weapons. As for socks, those are just always at hand.

What if humans actually could get drunk from booze?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then they'd shrink in size over a few generations and then become a new species of dwarf. Since that ecological niche is already filled by dwarves, the new species would die out.

Why do impulse ramps work?

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do impulse ramps work?

Toady played minecraft that weekend.

Do French dwarfs brew cognac?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Yes, but because dwarves don't understand the difference between mead and ale, so Cognac and Scotch just go under "Heavy".

Did Dwarves come from the earth, or were they just the first to delve?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

Both and neither, only Armok knows.

Why does one become highly skilled by sitting on a spear trap?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

It isn't SITTING, it's FALLING!
(2 Z-levels in fact)

And the reason makes PERFECT sense in the DF universe: The dwarf dodges having a whole planet "Thrown" at them. How can that NOT make them extremely experienced at parrying dangerous projectiles, to the point of being legendary?
I mean, come on, the dwarf BLOCKS a WHOLE PLANET traveling ~9.8 meters/sec with his shield! --WHILE DRUNK!
Do you have any idea how much mass energy he is deflecting there!?

Now, What exactly is it that sky supported tiles are ACTUALLY hanging on?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

The bottom of another world's HFS.

Why are dwarves against making totems of their enemies' skulls?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

actually, the planet is moving considerably faster then that.  That is acceleration due to gravity, the acceleration of the dwarf.

Why are cloaks so good at blocking spears?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

actually, the planet is moving considerably faster then that.  That is acceleration due to gravity, the acceleration of the dwarf.
I think tiles are supposed to be 3m tall, so that would make the velocity ~59 m/s. Of course, this assumes no air resistance, terminal velocity, and g=~9.8.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Why are cloaks so good at blocking spears?

More material for the spear to get tangled in. (Actually, it's because of the tag which determines amount of coverage  but that answer isn't as Dwarven)

Somewhere in the Headshoots LP, it is discovered that dwarves have made a wall made of pure water. How is such masonry possible, and how is it that the said wall still acts as a barrier?

Here's the page in question:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/Update%2065/

The second or third pic down.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yes , that. My only guess was an ice wall that melted, but because of the way the definitions worked it became a liquid state wall.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

That... makes sense in a warped way.

I don't want to have two questions in a row, so could someone think of something?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is it that everyone picks on elves.  In world gen.  Even civs I mod in.  With [EAT_SENTIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]...
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 301