Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454248 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

Why do I always seem to look away from eleborately built traps that need manual activation at EXACTLY the wrong moment to look away from them?
Activating traps always takes second priority to watching your dwarves eat cheese

How can a lamb prevent a dwarf from passing through a tile but thousands of whales can fit in it if all but one are lying down?
When lying down, animals lose all mass and essentially disappear from existence. It is still unclear how a duckling takes up the same amount of space as a dragon, but Dwarven physics is always working on solutions.

Why do all my woodcutters choose the middle of an ambush to go outside when the designation has been active since 6 months prior?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

They were on break up till that point.

Why do glassmakers not go fill their own bag of sand to use on a project if there aren't any in the stockpiles?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

Why do glassmakers not go fill their own bag of sand to use on a project if there aren't any in the stockpiles?

Unions!  You wouldn't want to put that poor sandbag stuffer out of a job, now would you son?  No, of course not.  You're not being efficient, you're taking food out of the mouths of that poor soul!  Now, please, don't question the labor union... we only have your best interests and our union fees in mind.

On the subject of sand though, how is it that sand was QSP'd before dwarven arrival?  I've built entire towers out of a single square meter of sand!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Sand is the remains of worn away rocks. Sand grains in and of themselves are really tiny rocks. Clearly, Dwarves learned their QSP tactics from sand.

How can clay do the same stuff?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clay is even smaller rocks ... mixed with a bit of water. Which reminds me. Aquifers. Clearly dwarves learned the concept of QSP from aquifers first, not sand.

So why does a single aquifer tile have an infinite amount of water?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Sand is the remains of worn away socks. Sand grains in and of themselves are really tiny socks.
Fixed that for you.

Aquifer's are Armok's attempt to expand his godly repertoire into fields other than magma, so as to increase the number of his adherents that survive.

Why is the amount of clowns in a clown car so small? Half the standard population cap seems rather little for an event that is marked as "endgame" in the raws.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

Why is the amount of clowns in a clown car so small? Half the standard population cap seems rather little for an event that is marked as "endgame" in the raws.
Armok wasn't expecting you to change the population cap to 4

How do dwarves not overheat from wearing 3 layers of clothes in a tropical biome?

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software

How do dwarves not overheat from wearing 3 layers of clothes in a tropical biome?

Whenever dwarves drink a form of liquid, be it booze or water their beards absorb all of the liquid that gets splashed on it. <= This explains the location of the beard on the dwarven body.
The beard then acts as a reservoir distributing the needed dose of water/beer to keep the body cool. This once again shows the symbiotic nature of the beard.

Why do dwarves let their wells overflow? Why dont they use some kind of cover for it?
~Volvo kauhee laiva tehoo täytyy olla liikkuu joskus BMW ei ikinä perä vaivaa mese joo mut ei riitä hitsi lanka voi otta sellasen

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Because if they covered the well, how could any dwarf drink from it?

Why will the merchants happily accept tattered clothes and other rubbish in exchange for food, booze, and metal bars?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they know that the market for tattered clothes is just in a small slump and are investing for when it skyrockets.

Why do dwarves seem to have a lust for death and !!FUN!! and will even kill each other or themselves in order to achieve !!FUN!!?

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile

Because they know that the market for tattered clothes is just in a small slump and are investing for when it skyrockets.

Why do dwarves seem to have a lust for death and !!FUN!! and will even kill each other or themselves in order to achieve !!FUN!!?

A:They don't, their Overseers do. The dwarves are just the victims of said crusade for !!FUN!!, due to being so prone to it.

Q: Why do the ice walls always unfreeze into 7/7 water, regardless of how much it was before freezing?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Q: Why do the ice walls always unfreeze into 7/7 water, regardless of how much it was before freezing?

Same reason why you can build a glass fort from the sand from a single tile.

Why do dwarves have "clean shaven" beards sometimes?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A clean shaven dwarf is a dwarven hippie.

Why does it seem every goblin has "extremely long hair"?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile

Because any time a goblin barber goes near a pair of scissors, somebody dies.

Why do dorfs with high creativity still craft the same old stuff?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile

"The same old stuff? Are you blind? Do you not see that when Urist McCreativeCraftsdwarf made that turtle shell earring, he was making a commentary on the current state of affairs in our fair nations crafting industry? That, with the forging of this item, we must now re-evaluate the way we look upon all crafts made, in both future and past? Why, it's so terribly obvious, to anyone who understands art. "  ::)

Why are dwarves so willing to believe it when a vampire blames a baby for their kills?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 301