Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454267 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Because the water just feels so good, they try to find reasons to splash it all over themselves! Seriously, it's one the biggest happiness buffs in the game!

But why don't they at least take a little more pride in keeping the fortress clean!? Seriously, if they showed half the festidiousness they show toward "Must bathe NOW!" To "gee, this floor is absoltuely filthy! Maybe I should mop it or something?", the problem would be moot anyway.

Seriously, it's as if they keep the dirt around just as an excuse to bathe.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile

You may have answered your own question there.

My hypothesis: cleaning floors is just another job; one that doesn't even create anything.  That makes it a kid's job, much like deconstructing a wall or floor.

Why, for the love of Armok, don't dwarfs prefer to elect mayors whose mandates will actually be useful to the fort?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because the only one who cares about the fort is the overseer and he is kinda self-elected.

BTW, why don't they talk to the overseer?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Here's your answer!
« Reply #2328 on: December 04, 2013, 03:42:27 pm »

Because they would need a real brain to do that. And anyway, If they ever contradicted or disagreed with the overseer, they would usually be promptly directed to mine out the lava so that it can reach the pumps and gates. Either that, or they would be sent to inspect the circus for candy and clowns.

EDIT: (forgot my question) Why don't dwarves like to use mugs for drinking alchohol?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:45:15 pm by Erils »

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile

Given the amount of alcohol a dwarf drinks at one sitting and their tolerance for said alcohol, if they had to fill, drain, and refill a mug to get drunk it would take them many times longer to get drunk than it currently does.

What would happen if dwarves found an aphrodesiac?
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, considering dwarven "marital life" appears to be either conducted with spores, or is some kind of quantum entanglement like connection between spouces, not a whole lot. It's a well established fact that dwarven procreation requires zero physical contact, and that for all intents and purposes (or is that intensive porpouses? I always get them confused..) dwarves simply have no concept of sexual congress. An aphrodesiac would have no effect.

If, however, you wish to reframe that statement away from something that induces desire (aphrodesiac), to something that induces fertility instead...

Well, that goes with one of my earlier questions about what would happen if the dwarven birth rate was rapacious enough to make dwarven homocidal mania into a self-sustaining bloodbath.

(I believe the word used was "armokgheddon".)

Would it be too horrible to contemplate to add a syndrome to alcohol that makes female dwarves have the [multiple_litters_rare] token removed to simulate this effect in dwarves?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Never too horrible if the odds are 1 in 100.

Why do goblins always march into my hall of death traps? I always make sure to send one back to give warning but they continue to grind themselves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a touchy subject, given how toady likes to avoid anything and everything to do with the subject of "intimacy" in his game, but--

The only sensible explination is that goblins are BDS&M fetishists, who for socio-political reasons, NEVER use safe words.

It simultaneously explains their low birth rates, bizzare social customs, proclevities to wield whips and chains, and also-- as you asked-- why they seem to relish being mutilated to death in dwarven torture devices.

I am now at a loss for what to ask next...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:03:26 pm by wierd »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

(To the unanswered question):
... because not using your safeword is much less painful than telling the Queen Goblin "No."

Why the hell is 16:10 the new standards for monitors and phones, but 16:9 and 4:3 are the only standards that most movie making software, youtube, and the rest will accept?  Don't these frickin' people TALK to each other?!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st question) marketing, in their usual "detatched-from-reality" manner, ordered that the pixel aspect ratio be "more round", completely misunderstanding what a pixel aspect ratio actually is, and instead thinking it had something to do with corners. This naturally angered the engineering staff, who promptly voiced that displeasure in the form of the 16:10 aspect ratio, which is the "More round" version of 16:9.  --in that it is not a properly reduced fraction, and thus both sides of the ratio can be divided by 2. (Which is, of course, what makes it "round".) Of course, 8:5 doesn't sound as catchy, and just looks plain weird. Advertising of course knew exactly what a pixel aspect ratio was, since they specialize in making the advertisments for the product, which must meet the specification to be properly presented-- and got in on the joke as well, claiming that 16:10 was "Bigger and better!" Than 16:9, and marketing believed them.

The rest is history.

2) No, they have H1B visa holding interns, secretaries, and personal assistants do that for them. Nothing must ever introduce the corrupting influence of "the real world" into their carefully created personal fictions from which they draw their "Inspiration."

What does this have to do with dwarf fortress?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

What does this have to do with dwarf fortress?

Well, the thread doesn't specify, but it does actually have to do with DF... as in I have to completely reconfigure my fricking system when I want to record the game otherwise it looks like crap.

Why do I always seem to look away from eleborately built traps that need manual activation at EXACTLY the wrong moment to look away from them?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't you just drive your monitor in a non-native resolution to retain 16:9 on the recording software, and just suffer the occasionally lumpy looking pixel on your display?

I can't imagine DF running higher than 1280x720 anyway, and that's pretty close to the native 1280x768 res.  That's just one "fat" horizontal line every 15 lines or so. More likely is that your monitor will just display 24 black lines on the top and bottom of the display, and no pixels will be distorted.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

Can't you just drive your monitor in a non-native resolution to retain 16:9 on the recording software, and just suffer the occasionally lumpy looking pixel on your display?

I can't imagine DF running higher than 1280x720 anyway, and that's pretty close to the native 1280x768 res.  That's just one "fat" horizontal line every 15 lines or so. More likely is that your monitor will just display 24 black lines on the top and bottom of the display, and no pixels will be distorted.

I run dual 1440x900s, so that's not near my native.  There's no way to 'drive' the monitor without going into display settings to adjust it, at least not that I've found.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McPoster cancels answer question: job item missing or lost

How can a lamb prevent a dwarf from passing through a tile but thousands of whales can fit in it if all but one are lying down?

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile

Urist McPoster cancels answer question: job item missing or lost

Why do I always seem to look away from eleborately built traps that need manual activation at EXACTLY the wrong moment to look away from them?

I don't see anything that looks like an answer to this. Easy to miss among all this talk of computers screens though.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 301