Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 453820 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile

Urist McForumite cancels answer question: job item missing or destroyed.

How tall is a QSP stack of 300 pieces of rock?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile

The same size a boulder. Dwarven QSPs compress matter in a reduced volume.

Why dont the dwarves ever wear all that jewlery they make?

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

wearing -gold amulets- slows you down. Next thing you know, you're unable to make it to the booze stockpile before it's drained, and you're stuck outside when the fort locks up for a siege.

Why can't my dwarves just sticks bars and charcoal into barrels or pots? Why do they need to use bins, despite having plenty of barrels available?
Everything's in the news today

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

Why can a dwarf not take two seconds to take the bag OUT of the barrel rather than tote the whole seed barrel?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

wearing -gold amulets- slows you down. Next thing you know, you're unable to make it to the booze stockpile before it's drained, and you're stuck outside when the fort locks up for a siege.

Why can't my dwarves just sticks bars and charcoal into barrels or pots? Why do they need to use bins, despite having plenty of barrels available?
They figure you can't put a square bar in a circular container. (Charcoal happens to be in the form of BBQ brickettes, apparently.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Why can a dwarf not take two seconds to take the bag OUT of the barrel rather than tote the whole seed barrel?
Dwarves are extremely lazy creatures, and it's hard work, getting pocket-dimension containing bags out of pocket-dimension containing barrels, and unless explicitly ordered to do otherwise, they'll just leave it in there and take the whole thing.

Why do dwarves see fit to leave bits of blood lying around, when it's a well-known fact that touching said blood causes your beard to melt off? And why is it that when I give up trying to get them to get rid of the stuff and just make them wear boots instead, they decide they're apparently fatally allergic to boots?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

The answer to both questions is quite simple:

Both end up with beard melting blood on them, and getting anywhere near them will result in beard melting. Dwarves are particularly fond of their beards, and as such are unwilling to take the risk.

Besides, the pool of forgotten beast ichor in the hallway that nobody wants to touch makes excellent kobold poison, since blood spatters dont count as traps, and thus trap-avoid has no impact on contact syndrome progression-- and kobolds dont even wear the socks they steal.

(Nobody really knows for sure what they actually DO with them...)

How is it that mass is continually created on a DF world, yet surface gravity is not affected?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile

It is affected, dwarves just get used to it.

Why cant dwarves encrust gems into the weapons they make?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

How large is a tile in dwarf fortress, some ask.  Well, here's the answer.  It's small enough that a lamb causes dwarfs to crawl to get by it but big enough that you can fit ten thousand dragons in it as long as 9999 are lying down.

And that's final.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile

Weapons aren't some fancy trade commodity, they're made to kill! Menacing spikes of iron? Sure. And engraved images are the weapon equivalent of racing stripes.

Why does my last remaining dwarf decide to take a break, have a drink, conduct a meeting with nobody, and then eat before pulling the lever?
Everything's in the news today

doomyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Weapons aren't some fancy trade commodity, they're made to kill! Menacing spikes of iron? Sure. And engraved images are the weapon equivalent of racing stripes.

Why does my last remaining dwarf decide to take a break, have a drink, conduct a meeting with nobody, and then eat before pulling the lever?

He has moral qualms about washing the dining room with magma and hopes you change your mind.

Why are all my immigrants useless?

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are all my immigrants useless?

They're not useless. Just draft them into the military, give them random jobs, or start studying !!SCIENCE!!

Why do mountain gnomes like tearing teeth out of dogs, but don't do anything else to them?
That's what happened in my fortress and now my tame dogs have no teeth. They have no other injuries, just a lack of teeth.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile

To make dentures, of course!

How do dwarfs store all the terror they import from the goblins?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile

They don't store it. Because of a bug that doesn't allow you to create terror stockpiles, it gets scattered all over the place.

How can a dwarf/animal/everything get pregnat if it was separated from every other of it's race by 30m thick rock wall for years?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

Spores, Spores everywhere.

Why can a yak cow be stricken by melancholy?
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 301