Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 467397 times)

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile

You forgot to ask a question.

Why aren't whips made of leather?
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Because we all know leather is a bad material for weapons!

Why can't adventurers breathe fire?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because all of the fire would start on the same tile as the adventurer, and thus would all get blocked by your shield.

Why are Forgotten Beasts made of snow or ice immune to magma?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

It's the forgotten kind of frozen water. You know, high melting and boiling points, extremely high specific heat...

Why are my multi-legendary masterwork steel-clad soldiers dying like flies to beasts barely 10 times their size, number, and with very little mithril as the only thing better than iron in their equipment?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile

Because masterwork steel thongs aren't providing enough coverage.

How does a dwarf carry/drag a whole ((adult)(huge))whale carcass all by himself?
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

How does a dwarf carry/drag a whole ((adult)(huge))whale carcass all by himself?

If a dwarf can haul hundreds of pounds of rock all day, a whale shouldn't show much challenge. Or if it does, the vast amount of blood slicking the area around any GOOD fortress should be enough to slide anything through with no trouble.

Why do dwarves refuse to change clothes until an article entirely disintegrates?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

They understand that bags and ropes are more useful than clothes.

Why is "fire" hotter than magma?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

!!Exclamation Points!! are excellent heat conductors.

Why aren't there any objectively good civilizations?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

!!Exclamation Points!! are excellent heat conductors.

Why aren't there any objectively good civilizations?

Because Dwarf fortress has a "Grey and Black" morality system. Heroes are only heroes from the perspective of their own civilization, but absolute evil does exist...

Why do Dwarves make 'short' swords? I mean, we have craftdwarfship and human clothing is "large" (when seen by a dwarf), why not some other phrase?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Dwarves don't scale down their weaponry, hoping that their small size will make their weaponry seem larger in comparison and thus more intimidating (this is stupid, but you must remember, these guys are ideally drunk off their asses 24/7). As such, a dwarven short sword is actually the same exact size as a human-made one.

Why do a pool of blood and a pool of magma look exactly the same? (Both bright red double-tildes IIRC)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because magma is the blood of the world.

Why do moody dwarves disdain magma workshops in favour of their (normally-coal, in-the-instance willpower)-fueled counterparts, but only sometimes?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

A true dwarf would never degrade themself with magma when they are perfectly capable of powering a forge through sheer !!HOT BLOODEDNESS!!. (The ones that do are Not True Dwarves and therefore don't count.)

Why did the water in my well shaft settle 1 z-level lower than the reservoir supplying it (physics be damned)?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

Well, obviously, the sheer amount of water being drawn out of the well has created an area wherein the water level is decreased. That, or the small black hole powering the well's retrieval system is throwing a hissy fit.

Why is there no trace of oil in the ENTIRE WORLD? This would herald a new age of weaponry, people!
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

Because dwarf fortress worlds are rarely more than 1000 years old.

Why are you able to find coal in a year 1 world?
*Hugs*

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

Armok instantly creates the minerals first.

How do civilizations have metal and stone, even though everything looks unmined?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 301