Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 454246 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile

Z levels are deeper than they look like, and they sand was a little wet

How can carpenters make furniture without nails?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They use wood joints http://autonopedia.org/crafts-and-technology/woodwork/woodworking-joints/ (I know it's a non-silly answer, but hey)

Where does all the leftover material from making a gabbro ring go, or anything else really?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile

Rocks are ground up, and used as after-shower talcum powder.

Sawdust, sand, and clay are used as kitty litter.

What's above the top z-level limit?  Hidden Boring Stuff?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain

What's above the top z-level limit?  Hidden Boring Stuff?

Kerbals.  They like watching the Dwarves from orbit, laughing the whole time from their spacecraft.  Also, they ran out of fuel and can't get back to Kerbin.

Why do entire civilizations declare war on the Dwarven nations for trade-related offenses at one out-of-the-way fort in the middle of nowhere?
Sanity is for the weak.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile

One? Other forts have different overseers, that aren't players. It's the same AI as the one that cancels return kill to hunt vermin. Think about that special kind of hell that mus be going on in these forts.

How extacly the dwarves can turn one log either into a training axe (that is still capable of chopping trees) orrr... A bed? Door? Even a construction block?

Kerbals.  They like watching the Dwarves from orbit, laughing the whole time from their spacecraft.  Also, they ran out of fuel and can't get back to Kerbin.
Actually,  they really, really like dwarven way of thinking. Compare DF and KSP communities. Find more than 3 differences.
We murder our minions for !!SCIENCE!!
No plan without horrible deaths is a good plan
Steep learning curve
Getting things to work requires either a great deal of patience or rocket science degree.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain

Actually,  they really, really like dwarven way of thinking. Compare DF and KSP communities. Find more than 3 differences.
We murder our minions for !!SCIENCE!!
No plan without horrible deaths is a good plan
Steep learning curve
Getting things to work requires either a great deal of patience or rocket science degree.

I find that the key difference is that you can actually get consistent results in KSP if you know what you're doing (and I do).  Your rocket doesn't just randomly fall apart on you.  Well, except when the Kraken attacks, but that's not nearly so common these days!
Sanity is for the weak.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How extacly the dwarves can turn one log either into a training axe (that is still capable of chopping trees) orrr... A bed? Door? Even a construction block?

Well, like humans do. Take a log, saw it up to make boards, then construct a bed from the boards, nothing complicated.

Why don't dwarf have names like Thorin or Gimli?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A: Dwarven copyright lawyers are about as effective as dwarven diagnosticians.  Plus, the Tolkein family has connections to elves.

Q: Dwarves understand the wheel; they understand powered systems - why haven't they invented the automobile yet?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Because cars aren't magma/lava-resistant.

Dwarves routinely make superweapons; how come elves still exist?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile

They breed like freaking rabbits.

What makes a dwarf decide that biting his opponent is better than using his huge axe?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hunger.

Why there are no drugs in DF?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McHippie cancels take drugs: already drunk.

Why don't miners ever look at the plans for a dig, before beginning the excavation?  (e.g. channelling one level at a time; or at least in a consistent pattern)
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile

A:The reason given is "Dwarves believe digging to be a spontaneous art form, to do it in practical or planned manner would defeat the point." However, the real reason is that The Beards impair the dwarves ability to think straight, leaving them incapable of planning ahead (or looking back/ learning from their mistakes).

Q: Why do kittens not enslave goblins and elves?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!  Those widdle cuddle-muffins wouldn't dream of enslaving anyone.  They merely grace the worthy (namely, dwarves) with their divine presence.

Elves, Humans, Goblins, Kobolds - none are worthy of the power of the Holy Purr.  All hail the kitten overlords pets!

Q: Why aren't dwarves ever possessed by familiar forces?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Because anything that knows dwarves is too scared to possess dwarves.

How can a dwarf's skull be bashed in by a sock?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 301