Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466983 times)

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do we even have bismuth bronze when nobody in the history of DF has ever found it even the slightest bit useful?

It's corrosion-resistant! Which isn't useful, at all.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do we even have bismuth bronze when nobody in the history of DF has ever found it even the slightest bit useful?

Well, it _is_ shiny and golden. Which makes it the C3-PO of weapon-viable metals.

What makes flowing water so attractive to dwarfs? I keep having to paint entire riverbeds with restricted traffic designations to prevent my loonies from drowning themselves by trying to ford the river right next to the bridge.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Oh hey look, that water was shallow enough for me to walk through for a second I'd better go that way! No of course it won't change what kind of lunacy would that be?

Why is it that fortress dwarves never partake in any religious practices, while worldgen dwarves do all the time?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Oh hey look, that water was shallow enough for me to walk through for a second I'd better go that way! No of course it won't change what kind of lunacy would that be?

Why is it that fortress dwarves never partake in any religious practices, while worldgen dwarves do all the time?

Because they all became athiests(:P)

Why is it that whenever my hunter decides to get scared by a bloatfly, they fall asleep right infornt of them, causing me to wake up my damn sniper squad to take it out ONLY TO HAVE A THIEF STABBY THEM

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They haven't read
Sleep: Problems and Solutions

What will happen when air pressure is implemented?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Ant men will explode when they go above-ground due to an unforeseen bug.

If dwarves were made by Armok, how come there's still Armok?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because Armok was careful enough to make sure that nobody ever knew about him.

What do dwarves breathe? We know that they have to (see: suffocation), but they can survive indefinitely locked in a effectively airtight room.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They convert alcohol to energy through a reaction katalysed by room-temperature nitrogen. If the nitrogen stays in their lungs too long, it heats up and can no longer katalyse the reaction.

Why can dwarfs tame puffins and even insects like giant lice, but not penguins?

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile

Penguins? Oh you poor soul, believing in childish things as penguins and rest beyond the grave! Do you not know that a penguin is just a place where something that one can never comprehend tears into reality? Did you never see the leaked videos of what a zoo's penguin pen looks like? Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li, tekeli-li! Oh the featherless things that crawl faster than a subterrean train, the skin cultures, the shrieking in vain against the thundering of their hypnotic orders! Iä Iä! Tekeli-li!

Why do caravans sell stone and ore so cheap after having to drag those tons of stone through the mud for dozens or hundred of miles?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The traders never wanted those stones and ores in the first place, they just have to carry a certain quota of them.

How well do the different civilised races understand biology?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only biology elves care about is plant biology, though they are able to auto-tame every tamable thing out there, the extent that Kobolds know about biology is probably limited to very basic stuff, like male+female=baby, in vanilla anyway. Human and dwarven knowledge is.... average? Probably not 21st century knowledge level.

Why does it seem like every other FB has a trunk of some kind? For me at least.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com

Would you want to touch material that has a reputation for unleashing clowns when mined?

Why did my hunter unload an entire stack of bolts into a boar, cripple each of its limbs, and then go to sleep, letting it slowly crawl away until I sent my hammer after it to put it out of its misery....and make bacon
?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The elephants realized they could not win the dwarf-elephant war alone and so bred with most of your FB's.

Why do dwarves ignore my demands to stockpile adamantine ore/thread in a special stockpile, instead preferring to work on 'No Job' for years?

Because No Job is very important.

Why do dwarves have noses, considering their only purpose is to smell miasma?

Carp
You must be new here. See thread syntax. ;)
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do dwarves have noses, considering their only purpose is to smell miasma?

To anchor their mustaches, of course!

Do dwarves have belly buttons?

Tekeli-li!

Beware! You must never speak of that strange land that lies beyond the 80th parallel---those strange seas of balmy water, the strong current carrying you to the pole...even Pym was reluctant to reveal too much of what he saw there.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, they have lower body buttons.

Why do elves find torturing animals appalling, but torturing someone as an example acceptable?
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 301