Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466657 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.
« Reply #1440 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:57 am »

A lowering drawbridge compresses everything under it to zero volume. At that point, any matter simply vanishes in a puff of quantum paradox.

How come Urist McDarkman was disgusted by a miasma, yet unfazed by the fact that said miasma came from his own rotten face?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.
« Reply #1441 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:49 am »

Miasma, unlike blood, is generic, meaning Urist will not know where it came from. This means he will always be disgusted by it, no matter the source.

Why does water from an FB not coalesce into a puddle?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 25, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »

The "water' is actually a form of gel, formulated to keep its shape for use as a body. If exposed to high heat, it would melt. Of course, without a heating method other than MAGMAAAAA, such a possibility is academic.

Why is the only requirement of flight the possession of any wings?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 25, 2012, 02:30:22 pm »

Weight and aerodynamics are all nonpoints, like waste product and the size.

Why are you the first dwarf trying to make a fortress so far from the mountianhomes?  Where did you even find out about such a spot?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

Scouting expeditions, lost migrants, and adventurers that came before. You're just the ones foolish/brave enough to think that it's possible to have a fortress thrive so far from the mountainhomes.

Does one simply walk into a Terrifying biome?

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 25, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »

Unless it's called Mordor, yes.

Why the hell do I never find an embark with magma and flux and metal ores without either piranhas, alligators or giant sponges?
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 25, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »

Why the hell do I never find an embark with magma and flux and metal ores without either piranhas, alligators or giant sponges?
There has to be a reason that they're unclaimed.

Where does rain go when it hits the ground outside of a murky pool?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01:23 pm »

After cleansing you of your donation to the Blood God, percipitation dissapears into the Earth and into the caverns to drown some poor idiot dorf.

Why can only murky pool tiles collect rainwatwer?  Why can't I build rainwater collectors?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 25, 2012, 08:02:10 pm »

Because then you'd be asking your dwarves to drink from "Cistern of water laced with Lodem McMason's sweat".  And that's probably worse than the murky pools.

Why will dwarves not directly irrigate/muddy a floor, but will gladly throw water down from overhead?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 26, 2012, 03:36:07 am »

They don't want to get mud all over their ☼giant cave spider silk sandal☼s. Besides, the only Dwarfy way to muddy floors involves a screw pump or ten...

Why can't wounded dorfs drink booze?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 26, 2012, 10:22:35 am »

Because wounding causes the dwarven liver to work suboptimality, which is fatal when you are a creature which guzzles the stuff all day long.

Why do dwarves even need booze in the first place?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25:33 am »

They cannot process normal sugar correctly without it.  They instead convert the good stuff into a form of enzymatic insulin that allow them to speed up their metabolism.  Without it they simply feel hung over.

Why can't vampires drink booze?
PKs DF Mod!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:03 pm »

Because dwarf blood is like magma booze, so booze is a step down.

Why do non-swimmers dropped in 3 tile deep water suffer less injuries then grandmaster swimmers?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:18:54 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 26, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »

Because their lack of confidence lets them release sonic waves with their screams that makes it softer to land inside.

Why do dogs gather at a high tower?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 26, 2012, 12:34:05 pm »

I gave that female dog a tower, female dogs love towers

Why do goblin invaders leave no vengeful ghosts (and not just from a game balance POV)?
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 301