Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: species interbreeding ?  (Read 7569 times)

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: species interbreeding ?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 12:56:05 pm »

Make the dragon be able to grasp items with its tail or something, so it can do jobs.
About the eggs, do your dwarves or dragons or dragondwarves (I haven't really read the entire thread through) bring barrels of booze to the eggs? I swear I've seen egg laying sentients feed the eggs as if they had to eat and drink.

Anyway, I now have the strange urge to create a new creature called creature, with the raws for all original creatures in castes of the by itself undefined creature.
That would make it possible for all creatures to crossbreed wouldn't it? Could be interesting if it worked.
Sometimes the mother goes and sits on the nest box while she's eating or drinking, but no, they don't try to feed the eggs-- at least,
I think that's all that's happening...

@Mintaka

wait...are regular dwarves hatching from eggs laid by dragon dwarves ? are these regular dwarves within eggs cookable....am I reading all this correctly hahah This IS Awesome!!!!!

you could try replacing the dragonbreath with booze breath that has a drowsiness syndrome...I coulda sworn I had working raws for this somewhere...
Yup, both kinds of dwarves can have babies of both kinds.  And in theory, since I let the one married dragondwarf lady incubate her eggs instead of cooking them, no dwarf fetuses have yet been cooked, just empty infertile eggs.  But yes, it could happen.  The dwarves seem to act like the eggs are just like animal eggs up until they magically turn into babies, so I don't think they would even care.    It's all very dwarfy.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »

It's downright wonderful is what it is...I'm gonna mod egglaying into my regular dwarfs and see how they fare eating nothing but their own eggs....
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »

It's downright wonderful is what it is...I'm gonna mod egglaying into my regular dwarfs and see how they fare eating nothing but their own eggs....
I'm not sure what your enthusiasm for this says about you, but have fun!  The dragondwarves only lay one to three eggs in each clutch, but my fort of about 90 citizens has 53 dragon eggs sitting around, and about 80 individual prepared meals with dragon eggs in them.  (Possibly because dragon eggs are pretty big?  I'm not sure.)  So your dwarves should have plenty to eat.  I'd like to point out, though, that the majority of the time they won't be eating babies.  They'll be eating the egg-laying-dwarf equivalent of menstruation.

My dragondwarf fort just had its first large goblin attack, and an amusing thing happened.  A squad of dragondwarf soldiers was chasing a fleeing hammer-goblin back out over my dry moat.  One of them breathed fire while standing on the bridge, and the bridge spontaneously deconstructed, dumping the whole squad and the goblin on the ground and leaving me with a mechanism and a kimberlite rock.  I gather this is supposed to be the bridge melting.  So: does anyone know what the temperature of dragonfire is?  The wiki seems to imply that dragonfire burns/melts certain types of buildings regardless of what they're made out of-- I'm hoping that's not true, at least.  I'd like to be able to have bridges.  I'm rebuilding it with dolomite (the highest melting point stone I have, as far as I can tell) so I guess I'll find out next ambush.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »

Rofl this is even more awesome than the Genesis mod's dwarven castes.  You guys should make a mod from this, that includes dwarves with a whole wide range of animal-like attributes.. Badgerdwarfs (Prone to enrage), Dragondwarves (already doing this), FrogCarpdwarves (Amphibious!), Batdwarves (Can fly?), Bronzedwarves (Bronze skin, literally), etc etc. 

I may have to work on some of this myself..

Can you guys post the ENTITY and CREATURE raws for the Dragondwarves / Dwarven Civilization with them? One, so I can get an idea on how this works, and two, so I can make a few of these.. probably start with Badgerdwarves.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:36:36 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 01:55:05 pm »

Rofl this is even more awesome than the Genesis mod's dwarven castes.  You guys should make a mod from this, that includes dwarves with a whole wide range of animal-like attributes.. Badgerdwarfs (Prone to enrage), Dragondwarves (already doing this), FrogCarpdwarves (Amphibious!), Batdwarves (Can fly?), Bronzedwarves (Bronze skin, literally), etc etc. 

I may have to work on some of this myself..

Can you guys post the ENTITY and CREATURE raws for the Dragondwarves / Dwarven Civilization with them? One, so I can get an idea on how this works, and two, so I can make a few of these.. probably start with Badgerdwarves.
What we've been doing is adding the other varieties of dwarves as "castes" within the CREATURE:DWARF entry.  This way they're all automatically part of the dwarven civilization, so you don't need to make any changes to the ENTITY file.  It also means that the different types intermarry, and any couple can have children of any type, so you won't have a certain type die out. 

I already posted one version of the dragondwarf raws earlier in this thread, but I've made some improvements since then, so here's the whole CREATURE entry for dwarves and dragondwarves.  This gives you regular dwarves mixed with humanoid dragons, which can learn, do jobs and carry weapons, and also breathe fire, lay eggs, and have innate swimming and combat skills.  The changes from the previous version I posted are that the dragons come in male and female now, can have different scale colors and eye colors, and don't get mannerisms that don't make sense for them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

Ah k, nice.  I'm working on making the Badgerdwarves.. though rather than them being simple 'badgermen mixed with dwarves', they're gonna be an entire dwarf / badger crossbreed caste.  I'm using the Genesis mod's caste system as an example of where to start.  Gonna be interesting seeing how it turns up :D

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »

The German language is full of made-up words.  You can mash any number of words together and it becomes a valid word.
It isn't that easy. The eggmilksow violates even some grammatical rules (you shouldn't mash together "egglaying" and "woolmilksow" usually) yet is still accepted as common word, it wasn't a result of me simply throwing some words together ;)
Sorry for being a german grammar Nazi :P , but: it's "eierlegende Wollmilchsau", i.e. you do not mash those two parts together. And that's the spelling used (check the german Wikipedia in case you don't trust me).

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

I'm gonna leave this here.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »

Lol the Badgerdwarves are coming along good so far, though there are a few tweaks I need to do with their physical looks - the description screen isn't showing anything about their fur or stuff, plus I accidently gave women beards too (should I just keep that?)

I'm also going to give them a bonus to skill learning for biting..

Edit: Tell you one thing, Badgerdwarves take Wrestling to a whole new level.. o.O
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:43:35 pm by Crustypeanut »

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »

I'd like to point out, though, that the majority of the time they won't be eating babies.  They'll be eating the egg-laying-dwarf equivalent of menstruation.

This is true.It's wasn't necessary the cannibalism so much as the breaking of the law of conservation of energy that amuses me and the convenience of dwarves producing their own food from scratch.

It seems to be a law of nature that I'm always eating scrambled eggs when someone brings up this fact.

edit...trying to mod for milking booze from dwarves...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:49:13 pm by Lezard »
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 05:38:38 pm »

Remember to post your omni-species when you are done!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »

Are you working on those Llamadwarves I mentioned in the PM then Lezard? Don't forget to make them shearable too, if you get it working :P If we can't get that to work, we'll just have to make Llamadwarves gain a boost to milking and cheesemaking learning rates..

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 09:30:41 am »

@Crustypeanut

haha I hadn't considered that application. It could probably work if we removed [INTELLIGENT]. failing that, there is always to option of making a separate creature entry for atavistic dwarves that aren't deemed fit to be part of the civ  and can be treated like regular animals.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »

oh man I attempted this way back in 40d by flipping the mother's race over to a pet wait awhile and switch back before giving birth.
it worked and I posted this all over the evil thread and the thread "can love bloom in adventure mode".
sadly the evil thread was removed.
Cross breeding in 31. seems to be really buggy, like you can do it but the child would be the race of the mother but will have mix traits of the father though you can't see them for going into the descriptions will crash DF. I wonder if I could bypass this if the descriptions where the same or the dwarf raws have all the detail traits of the cross breed creature has before the attempt.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 04:41:00 pm »

@Crustypeanut

haha I hadn't considered that application. It could probably work if we removed [INTELLIGENT]. failing that, there is always to option of making a separate creature entry for atavistic dwarves that aren't deemed fit to be part of the civ  and can be treated like regular animals.

Well, Llamadwarves will be the farmer types then, maybe we can have Alpacadwarves be the unintelligent, milkable, shearable ones? They're both similar, as Alpacas are pretty much a smaller type of Llama..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]