Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: species interbreeding ?  (Read 7574 times)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: species interbreeding ?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »

Oh god.
A BC... Raped... A dwarven woman.

nope, the parents were both dwarfs, the female dwarf gave birth to the BC which could quite possibly be worse.

I tried to do something similar to what Lezard did, making dwarves have four castes- male dwarves, female dwarves, male dragons, and female dragons.  It doesn't crash the game, but when I try to generate a world it says there aren't any places where my dwarf/dragon civilization can live.  "Unable to place controllable civilization".  Any idea why this would be?  *is not experienced with modding*

have you tried removing the biome information from the dragon caste? btw if you want them to breed you might have to leave the caste titles as just male or female and have the description differentiate them , or leave the dwarf gender caste as is and leave the dragons infertile.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »

The German language is full of made-up words.  You can mash any number of words together and it becomes a valid word.
Danish works like that, too. It's wonderful!

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »

I had removed the biome tags, I thought, but it still wouldn't work.  Anyway, I started over, making the dragons infertile, and it works now!  Wheee! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next task: make it so dragons can pick things up.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 04:20:21 pm »

You mean having one caste as fish and the other as mermen? Sure. The entry would have to be ordered something roughly like this:

[CREATURE:WHATEVER]

[CASTE:FISH]
[BODY:<fish body parts>]
<anything else unique to this caste>

[CASTE:MERMAN]
[BODY:<merman body parts>]
<anything else unique to this caste>

[SELECT_CASTE:FISH]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:MERMAN]
[BODY:<stuff common to both castes, such as heart and guts and all that>]

It's not really necessary to have two caste selection lines there, but it's more readable that way. The [BODY] tag can be used more than once so long as the parts it calls aren't repeated for a caste or subcaste. If they are, then you get that weird stacking as the game tries to cram two identical parts into the same space.

Actually i meant the mermen and the fishmen from the One Piece universe, where any family can have a child whose genes can be fishman or merman, and is based on the entire family lineage. All I'd have to do is make castes for the merpeople and two for each and every fish that exists in this game in humanoid form and put them all under one creature.

Check it under biology: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Merman
and here: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Fishmen
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:24:29 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »

I had removed the biome tags, I thought, but it still wouldn't work.  Anyway, I started over, making the dragons infertile, and it works now!  Wheee! 

Next task: make it so dragons can pick things up.

Brofist!

I wonder if their stats will increase with time like normal dragons, you could run a very long history world and hope you get a killer migrant!.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »

As it is, they start out with "talented"-level biter, dodger, and fighter, because that was in the dragon raws. 
They show up just like regular dwarves in the embark screen, so you can give them skills, but it seems like
 they don't actually do jobs-- because they don't have hands?

Version 2.0 is bipedal, because I don't want my dragons to be limping around trying to carry things in their feet,
or holding weapons in their mouths.  So now they're big scaly humanoids, with tails, teeth and claws, and dragon breath. 
For some reason, they have an unfortunate habit of starving to death, according to the legends...  Well, and there was a
newborn one that got baby-snatched by goblins.  I'll have to see what happens in the fort.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 07:25:52 pm »

@Mintaka
might the starving be caused by the destruction of the settlement? have you removed [building destroyer]? putting in  [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] couldn't hurt if it's not already there.

btw have you tried to put any in the military yet ? do they respond to station commands etc?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 07:27:52 pm »

As it is, they start out with "talented"-level biter, dodger, and fighter, because that was in the dragon raws. 
They show up just like regular dwarves in the embark screen, so you can give them skills, but it seems like

Version 2.0 is bipedal, because I don't want my dragons to be limping around trying to carry things in their feet,
or holding weapons in their mouths.  So now they're big scaly humanoids, with tails, teeth and claws, and dragon breath. 
For some reason, they have an unfortunate habit of starving to death, according to the legends...  Well, and there was a
newborn one that got baby-snatched by goblins.  I'll have to see what happens in the fort.

have tried adding can_learn etc. to them?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 08:25:29 pm »

have tried adding can_learn etc. to them?
They have the "intelligent" tag that the regular dwarves have, which apparently lets them learn.

@Lezard
Yes, I removed building-destroyer.  I was thinking maybe they eat more than regular dwarves, being larger, but it doesn't seem like anything weird is happening in the fort.  I made one of the two dragon-dwarves that showed up in my original seven be a hunter, and made it my militia commander.  It happily uses its crossbow to hunt wildlife, and has shot dragon flame at the skeletal badgers that like to wander through my site.  It does obey my squad orders, which is a damn good thing, since otherwise it would have been inside when it encountered the skeletal badger and it might have roasted the inside of my fort. 

I also tried out adventure mode with the biped dragondwarfs.  Since the dragondwarfs are coded like a third gender, the character creation mechanism lets you choose male dwarf, female dwarf, or dragon.  The adventurer doesn't seem to start out with any innate skills, although that aspect does work for the fortress citizens.  The dragondwarf can do the usual attack types with whatever weapon it's holding, as well as bite, and two instances of "claw"-- one for using a hand and the other for using a foot, I think.  At least, it has claws on both hands and feet in the raws.  Supposedly the dragondwarfs have innate swimming ability, but I haven't been able to test it due to all the water being frozen.

Update:
Yes, the dragondwarfs have innate swimming.  My adventurer can swim with ease, and doesn't gain swimming skill by doing it, although it can improve all its other skills.  In the fortress, I've gotten my first set of migrants-- turns out dragondwarfs can marry, despite not having gender.  None of them have an awesome history or anything, though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:14:43 pm by Mintaka »

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »

@Mintaka

Very interesting! are they marrying a particular caste thus far? any chance you could post their raws?

hmmm I've got the sudden urge to add dragon as a caste of cats and try and make them universally hostile just to add an element of danger to catsplosions...

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 11:25:17 pm »

The one married dragon so far is married to a male dwarf. 

Here's the raws for my dragondwarf caste.  I let the professions and mannerisms in the regular-dwarf entry apply to them too, along with the useful things like can_open_doors and intelligent, but you could put those things in the regular-dwarf-only part if you don't want to have dragons that like to run their fingers through the hair they don't have. 

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 11:38:06 pm »

Thanks. :)
 That's pretty much what I've been doing with BC's now. except I duplicated the the BC caste, gave one the [FEMALE] token and one the [MALE]. It's working in adventure mode (it's working rather well in adventure mode), now trying fortress mode.
I've also gone with keeping the mannerisms, and I've added [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS] to the root creature because everything needs a beard,

in-case  you haven't tried it already, wrestling in adventure mode using these uber castes is hilarious !

Fortress mode is working, I have a mix of all four castes, all seem to be working, just waiting to see if any breeding takes place then I'm gonna start adding in other species.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:03:56 am by Lezard »

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »

Due to some bad planning and a swarm of Skeletal Badger Men, my dragondwarves accidentally melted all the regular dwarves in the
fortress in an attempt to defend themselves.  Oops.  :P  I'm trying to come up with some sort of segregation system, that will
let the dragondwarves defend themselves WITH FIRE and keep everyone else out of the way, but no ingenious solutions yet. 
I could just give everbody fire immunity, but that wouldn't be dwarfy enough, would it?

So I made a new fort, and this time just for kicks I tried giving the dragons genders, and putting lays_eggs back on the females.  Apparently, like regular dwarves, female dragondwarves can only have children when they're married, but they lay eggs regularly regardless of their relationship status.  If the eggs are forbidden, they will sit on the nest in their spare time, but get up to eat, drink, and sleep, and occasionally to do jobs.  If the eggs aren't immediately forbidden on being laid, though, the mother will take the "store item in stockpile" job they generate and take them to the food stockpile herself.  They list as "dragon eggs", and apparently the dwarves have no qualms about cooking them or selling them.  Evidently incubation isn't necessary to make the eggs hatch, at least not constant incubation-- they just need to not be moved from where they're laid. 
("Triplets have hatched." is my new favorite announcement.)

This brings up another potential source of !!Fun!! though, since I now have a dragon mother carrying around a normal baby, and also a normal mother with a dragon baby.  Not sure what will happen if a dragon tries to shoot flame while carrying/being carried by a normal, but it'll be interesting. 

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 07:35:03 am »

Make the dragon be able to grasp items with its tail or something, so it can do jobs.
About the eggs, do your dwarves or dragons or dragondwarves (I haven't really read the entire thread through) bring barrels of booze to the eggs? I swear I've seen egg laying sentients feed the eggs as if they had to eat and drink.

Anyway, I now have the strange urge to create a new creature called creature, with the raws for all original creatures in castes of the by itself undefined creature.
That would make it possible for all creatures to crossbreed wouldn't it? Could be interesting if it worked.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:01 am »

Anyway, I now have the strange urge to create a new creature called creature, with the raws for all original creatures in castes of the by itself undefined creature.
That would make it possible for all creatures to crossbreed wouldn't it? Could be interesting if it worked.

That's what I'm in the process of doing, the raws for each creature need to be adjusted slightly so it's quite time consuming but it appears to be working.

@Mintaka

wait...are regular dwarves hatching from eggs laid by dragon dwarves ? are these regular dwarves within eggs cookable....am I reading all this correctly hahah This IS Awesome!!!!!

you could try replacing the dragonbreath with booze breath that has a drowsiness syndrome...I coulda sworn I had working raws for this somewhere...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:52:11 am by Lezard »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4