Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dungeon under construction. Aug 2 = last updät  (Read 6090 times)

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon under construction. Aug 2 = last updät
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

Elise's dungeons!

Days since last on-site accident (involving construction mishaps): 3
Days since last fatality due to dorf-accident: 0
Current kill count of dwarven life lost during construction:  135

The first dungeon is nowhar near complete, but I figured that this'd be a good stopping point to upload a save--the first seven (+34 migrants) died off, and a few things have been completed--so.

The first level of the first dungeon is almost close to being nearly to a fraction of completion.  :D

Expect excessive amounts of clutter from objects, and bodies.  Once you get to the end of the marble hallway (you'll know), you've reached the end of what is currently built.

No clutter.  SUCK THAT DORF FORTRESS!  Also, 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Fortress Dungeon is located in The Nourishing Swamps, at (30,13) from the south west corner of the map. ((middle right of the island on a volcano, hard to miss.))  I highly recommend approaching it from the north side.  (The reason will become apparent.)

Save:  (MAED WIF UHH>.. phoebus tileset, version 31..uh......... 31.25v23 )
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4777

*ahem*
Current features:
A download!
A pretty, and corpse strewn, monster-less, magma covered entrance! Magma hole closed durring const. to save FPS.
Volcanoes!   There was never more than one volcano.
Lots of dead bodies. in coffins.
A Magmathedral (currently magma-less)
A magmaleum (Mausoleum) (currently magma-less)
Two artifails.

Planned features:
MAGMA!
CLOWNTONIUM!
HFS!
Zombies?
The entire brutal history of the dungeon scrawled out on its walls by the sole survivor of the original team of seven!
Goodies and gear!
PUZZLES AND PLATFORMING! :D

Suggestions, feedback, etc = things to post in this thread. do eet.

Old stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:10:13 pm by Elisebambi »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure constructed doors will remain, but I don't think you can limit them to only be opened by levers.

Adventurers cannot destroy buildings and such.

I think mechanisms retain their state yes.

As far as I know, there's no way to release HFS without them swarming, but if you build your fort on a location with an upright cotton candy weapon you can have your adventurer pull it out to release them.

really, it'd probably be easiest to just gen a pocket world and test these for yourself though.
*Hugs*

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've yet to ever find an upright spoiler. :(

and--.. durp I guess I /couuld/ do that...

Durp.

B: now I feel like a butt---though honestly, adventurer mode as a whole still escapes me and I've yet to be able to travel further than a few hundred tiles before I get chased down by a dragon, or, some night creature makes me its bitch. B:

Ty btw.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

That's why I suggested a pocket world, at most you've a handfucl of map tiles to travel.

And hell, if you make the fort and toss me the map I'll do the adventure mode testing for you :P
*Hugs*

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:D Will do!

:'D I'm mine-barking repeatedly so I don't actually have to set up a fortress (all that ugly fortress-sustaining stuff gets in the way of the awesome. :O ) so-- in a few sets of tantrum spirals I'll have the first fort done, I suppose. ;D

My first team of 7 of the finest miners evar just lost four (soon five).  Two cave in deaths (forgot to bring an axe to cut trees above ground so I could channel them... so, just ramped and hoped for the best.   Sofar only two of about twenty such attempts have been lethal.)  one tantrum sent my pack animals, most of my food, and one of my dwarves into the maw of the volcano.      A fourth gai just did a header down the mountain thanks to some silty loam dust, and the fifth... the tantrumer, is about to leap into the cano I think.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:48:03 pm by Elisebambi »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

X3
Nice. PM me the save whenever you're done
*Hugs*

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like this area.

Obsidian entrance,
grand marble hallways several z levels tall.

Hmm

This'll be a pretty place :O

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
*Hugs*

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So i was testing a bit, and it seems doors are quite easily bashed in.

I'll assume that better materials might make doors less susceptible to being kicked down by a puny dwarfs tiny foot... but... would a clowntonium door stop a well equiped adventurer from passing?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

It's possible, but with DF, you never really know about these sorts of things.
*Hugs*

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

hmm dungeon making could be tricky,
I guess from studies of the mechanics of a upright weapon there a coded mechanism that triggers the doors and walls.
Though I haven't tested if you can rig a upright sword to a door that opens to the magma pit, though I should for humor sake.
Getting Monsters to hang around the fort is really tricky as of now I don't know how DF spawns characters to see if you can manipulate it to keep a dragon in the lowest levels and not spawn in the ice chamber.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it looks like levers and other mechanisms stay in the correct on/off state, but I'm sure that if a dark gnome army, or gremlins invaded that would be not-quite-what-is-gonna-happen.

I SUPPOSE,
that I could just make one way doors with ledges instead of... doors...

where letters equal their respective designations, and | equals a door (hooked to a lever)

u j
d d
d d | d

d u
d j
d d | d

d d
j u
d d | d

j d
u d
d d | d

and so on until the bottom which has a lever, = quick way out after reaching the bottom---but, if door-break-downery is an issue

__j__
_|   x  |_
      x
      x
      x

good ole fashioned 'stairway to the top, then jump off the impassable chest-high-ledge to exit' escape route.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon under construction.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »

Added a save.  :O have fun getting up the mountain. :D

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 04:45:23 am »

Dungeons, a headache to those who dare to complete them only to find out in the end was that their reward was only a pile of rags and moldy silk.

If I may give advice, why not make complex lever rooms? since adventurers can use levers why not hook them up to the supports holding the roof? Give the adventurers a chance and make it only 1/5 chance that the pull will mean death.

The door to the next room? It is a floodgate connected to one of the levers, only then will they be able to get through.

Be nice to the cliche rewards. Have a nice set of masterwork armor/weapons of all type in the last room. Guard them with traps (for design unless somebody edits the raws  ;) )

Decorate your dungeon, make the bins and chests out of lead, that way there will be less clutter (lead = heavy so on reclaim/revisit they won't be moved far from where they once were)

Dont forget that windmills/ waterwheels work after reclaim/revisit so you can still have those  pumps going, for any elaborate plan.

Remember that any invaders (ambush or siege) will remain upon revisiting, that means your adventurer has some monsters to get past.

Make every room closed off by doors/floodgates if you follow my plan, the invaders just stay in those rooms.

Don't forget the most important part, engraved walls/floors. They are always in those good looking dungeons so adventurers ignore the dried blood inbetweenthelines.
Have fun toying with the mice!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:31 am »

Dungeons, a headache to those who dare to complete them only to find out in the end was that their reward was only a pile of rags and moldy silk.

If I may give advice, why not make complex lever rooms? since adventurers can use levers why not hook them up to the supports holding the roof? Give the adventurers a chance and make it only 1/5 chance that the pull will mean death.

The door to the next room? It is a floodgate connected to one of the levers, only then will they be able to get through.

Be nice to the cliche rewards. Have a nice set of masterwork armor/weapons of all type in the last room. Guard them with traps (for design unless somebody edits the raws  ;) )

Decorate your dungeon, make the bins and chests out of lead, that way there will be less clutter (lead = heavy so on reclaim/revisit they won't be moved far from where they once were)
use Dfusion or DFlair to permanently keep area in the dungeon there so you can store swords poison tiles and wooden bins that will burn away from the magma trap

Dont forget that windmills/ waterwheels work after reclaim/revisit so you can still have those  pumps going, for any elaborate plan.

Remember that any invaders (ambush or siege) will remain upon revisiting, that means your adventurer has some monsters to get past.

Make every room closed off by doors/floodgates if you follow my plan, the invaders just stay in those rooms.

Don't forget the most important part, engraved walls/floors. They are always in those good looking dungeons so adventurers ignore the dried blood inbetweenthelines.
Have fun toying with the mice!
fix one part of that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4