Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Play Cataclysm! Be the first to be eaten alive  (Read 22162 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Cataclysm! Be the first to be eaten alive
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »

I'd say his brother Philip should set out to search for him.
Uber bonus if you can eventually find him
*Hugs*

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2011, 04:10:31 pm »

Well, I probably couldn't find him as Tom didn't actually die, his save file just got corrupted, so you wouldn't be able to find his body. Although I could just pick a random spot near a clothing store and say he was there.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2011, 05:01:34 pm »

Maybe Tom was zombie?
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

Hmm, maybe I should scale back autosaving; a corrupted map file would also "corrupt" your save file, since the game autosaves when the map saves.

To perform the darkest of necromancy and bring Tom back to life--but in a parallel universe which looks like the one he's in--remove all the m.* files in the save directory.  If you are on linux you can just run "rm save/m.*", while on Windows there may not be an easy way to do this.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »

Hehe, whoops, it seems I've made another mistake. I just assumed that it wasn't possible to get Tom back, in one form or the other, and just took the opportunity to switch to the most recent version, which as you've said doesn't work with previous saves. In other news, Phillip's a go, but first the end of Tom.

The Final Battle

Tom beat back the zombie in front of the clothing store with his baseball bat in the open, but the zombie had managed to hit Tom hard enough in the head to shatter his safety glasses and his eyeglasses. He fell down, not from pain, but from the loss. The loss that now hit him like a ton of zombie flesh. As he took the now glassless frames from his face, he felt the emptiness of the world around him once more. The quiet was deafening in its own way. Where once he strolled amongst noisy streets with living sound, now there was only the solitude of loneliness, only the occasional sound of baseball bat on zombie. There was simply no one to hear, no one to see, no one to talk to.

Tom decided that this might as well have been the end. Only zombies to keep him company, only the voices in his head to argue with, only one more rag in his arsenal. Wait, one more rag? Where did that come from? Oh thank deus ex machina, he must have picked it up without thinking in the hardware store, and a solution appeared in his mind, and it certainly didn't seem that bad when compared to loneliness for the rest of his life, a life of running from mindless shamblers. So, he made one last Molotov, and he made one last trip to a gas station, and waited. If he was going out in a blaze of glory, so where the zombies, so he waited, and waited.

At about noon he saw the makings of a gigantic zombie mob of at least 20, and at its head was a bizarre zombie that would occasionally raise its hands for no discernible reason. It wasn't long before it saw Tom and charged, and with it the rest of the mob.Tom than readied his lighter for the final action of his life. The zombies came ever closer, with the zombie in the front drawing farther away from the mob. Tom figured that he could take this one zombie now, and the rest at the same time latter, and whipped out his baseball bat and took a swig of his rum, the bottle empty, he threw it at the zombie, which just seemed to run faster. He prepared to swing, and swing he did. He hit it in the head, and it sailed off in an arc, and it was struck down. Now, he lit his Molotov, and let out an earth shaking bellow that almost seemed to stop them in their tracks but they kept coming. When they were almost within arms reach, Tom dropped his Molotov. What happened next, we can only guess, but it would be a pretty easy guess.

When a dog came across the battlefield about a day afterwards, when the fires had finally dies down, it seemed puzzled. Maybe it was amazed at the carnage, maybe it was amazed at the destruction, but maybe, just maybe, he saw the spirit of Tom saying ,"Arr, I hit a home run." *burp*

Phillip will come soon.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »

Let's hope Philip isn't as crazy as Tom.  I'm glad this series is still going, but for God's sake, get a better weapon that doesn't involve fire and home runs. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 12:14:43 am »

Let's hope Philip isn't as crazy as Tom.  I'm glad this series is still going, but for God's sake, get a better weapon that doesn't involve fire and home runs.

You... you...

...you bleedin' elf! We don't want to avoid fire and home runs! We want a weapon that can cause both fire and home runs at the same time!

I demand a flaming baseball bat, just to make up for this silly fool's obscene suggestion!  :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:31 am »

I concur, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those weapon choices!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2011, 03:35:17 am »

You... you...

...you bleedin' elf! We don't want to avoid fire and home runs! We want a weapon that can cause both fire and home runs at the same time!

I demand a flaming baseball bat, just to make up for this silly fool's obscene suggestion!  :P

There is nothing wrong with elves. 

Besides, if we make Philip act EXACTLY like Tom, then this adventure won't be any different from the previous one, which will make it pretty boring.  I'm just looking for some changes here. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:35 am »

Okay then, Phillip Crowder stepping up to the plate, and here's the pitch.

"Dude, really? Baseball's a conspiracy by the man to make us want to hit each other in the balls, cuz what's a game of baseball if its not hitting balls, dude?" - Phillip Crowder to Thomas Crowder during a baseball game. It was then the Thomas decided that baseball was the game for him.

Phillip really lacked any real skills in the real world. He couldn't cook, he couldn't fight, and he couldn't be asked to work. What he did do was lie around in fields all day smoking... cupcakes! That's right, cupcakes and pretending to listen to music. It was quite helpful that he was in a field, for when disaster struck, he was far from the initial outbreak. However, being on... cupcakes, didn't help much, so he kind of ambled along looking for more cupcakes, and perhaps some, the entire day. Needless to say, he was often hungry, but his cupcakes were more than enough to make him happy.

Starting Stats

Where Tom was serving the "man" with his business degree, Phil was doing the work of the people, man. Tom's younger brother was always a bit bizarre. As a child, he would run in circle screaming, "They're watching me!" He was quite good at it, and Tom quick as he was could never catch him because of Phil was Fleet-Footed. He would read just as much as Tom did, but his reading material was different. Where Tom read textbooks, Phil read "The Communist Manifesto." Where Tom read Sports Illustrated, Phil read Hippie Today, ignoring his mother's cries of, "That's not a real magazine!" And boy he was a fast reader. He would finish one magazine, distribute it to the people, man (by which I mean that he just threw it at the ground), and get another. He was, unfortunately, just as asthmatic as his brother, it just ran in the family, but he was different in that he had never taken to drinking the large amounts of alcohol his brother did. Something about, "beer's a conspiracy, dude, it makes us drink more water." Whatever that meant, the real reason was his weak stomach.Being the hippie that he was, he wasn't big on meat, he was a vegetarian.

As a hippie, he had learned to think for himself in arguments with the cops over the legality of cupcakes. He always lost to those unbending party-poopers, and so spent a great deal of time in jail, but the arguments did hone his intelligence. He had spent a little time hauling his stuff around before discovering the true hippie way of forgetting where your stuff was, so he was slightly stronger than average, but his dexterity and perception were no better than a government-serving fool.

Starting Conditions

"Man, let me in, dude," Phil mellowly said. He was out of cupcakes, and needed some place to crash, but no matter how hard he banged, only a dog looking at him noticed. "Jeez man, be cool," he whined, and looked down at the ground. Then, he was a map just floating by and opened it up.

What to do, what to do...

A. Show that government door who's the designated leader! Or a window.
B. Head to the Sporting Utility Store to the NW and hope they have some cupcake growing tools.
C. Use what cupcakes you have left for some last minute inspiration.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:41 am »

B.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:25 pm »

I say A. Break down the door, man.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »

A.  You need to search that house for something to help you haul all the cupcakes you're going to run into.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »

Dude, let me in, or else... or else... I won't share my cupcakes, man. I really wish I'd taken robust genetics on this one.

Looting the House... Again

Phil broke down the oppressive door with the fury of a righteous warrior of the people. "Yo, dawg, why am I shifting wildly in writing style?" Phil asked no one in particular, "Just go to chill out, man, less communist, more mellow, man, ohmygod what happened to the walls?!" The dog just looked at Phil, and if a dog could look down on a human, it certainly was doing that now. Phil picked up a two-by-four as a weapon and continued through the house, looking for cupcakes. In the bedroom, he found a pair of cargo pants, which he put on, thinking, "Can't be caught wearing the man's jeans, man." A more sane person would wonder why he added "man" even to his thoughts, but Phil was... special. He also found a first aid kit in the bathroom, and found a completely empty kitchen before going downstairs into the basement with the dog closely following. In the basement, he screamed like a little girl in the dark, but quickly found his bearings and managed to take two tubes of superglue two bottles of water, some jelly of some sort, and a glass bottle of... something. "Hmmm, I bet this would be cool if I drunk it."

He then climbed the stairs and made his way to the sporting utility store to the NE.

What to take, and where to go afterwards?

String - 3 ft (2)
Frying Pan (3)
Flashlight (5)
How to Trap Everything (2)
Lighter (you know what this means) (4)
Utility Vest (2)
Hammer
Backpack
The Big Book of First Aid
Rope - 30 ft
Baseball Bat (5)
T shirt (3)
Bandages
Aspirin (2)
Safety Glasses
Sewing Kit

My god that took a while

A. Start Breaking into houses. One of them must have cupcakes
B. The Library to the N seems like a good place to purge Phil of his dirty, capitalist ideals
C. I wonder if Phil is stoned enough to eat a backpack...

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2011, 03:36:38 pm »

Definately the backpack, lighter, flashlights, firstaid book and bandages, use that steak knife to carve the 2x4 into a spear. Oh yeah, and quaff that magical potion you found! 

(A) with luck like finding mutagens, I'd keep raiding houses.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14