Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How old a computer could run DF?  (Read 1088 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
How old a computer could run DF?
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:30 pm »

Ok, so DF, the ORGINAL DF... Orginal orginal, We look back on it and many who first see it say "Hey! that looks like something made in the 70's!"

Well it got me thinking... We know DF is a complicatewd game, but its graphiclly VERY simple.  If you took the orginal DF release, just how simple a computer could run it? One from the 80's? 70's ?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: How old a computer could run DF?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »

Doubtful, it isn't the graphics that would be the problem, it would be the computing, most computers in the 70's and 80's were little more then typewriters. Designed to store text files and numbers.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:35:34 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

I would have to download the old version and examine the DLL's to make sure, but I'm pretty sure even the original version of DF requires at least Windows 2000 to run. That would preclude it running on any computer made earlier than the mid-1990s. Of course just because it could run on a particular machine without crashing wouldn't mean it would necessarily be an enjoyable experience. 0.1 FPS anyone?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 03:08:37 pm »

Thats what I was wondering, is how simple a computer could run it effectivly.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:36:00 pm »

If you want a computer that could play the earliest released versions of DF well, you're probably looking at a high end machine from the early 00's. DF is not all that old, the earliest release was 2006.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »

If you want a computer that could play the earliest released versions of DF well, you're probably looking at a high end machine from the early 00's. DF is not all that old, the earliest release was 2006.
You're being too harsh on the computers of yore. I'm running the latest release on this one:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-evo-n410c-pentium/1707-3121_7-20212925.html
A 2001/2002-produced laptop with 256MB RAM and 1GHz processor.
Also, having too low specs would not produce 0.1 FPS, but a crash during the worldgen procedure.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:47 pm »

You're being too harsh on the computers of yore. I'm running the latest release on this one:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-evo-n410c-pentium/1707-3121_7-20212925.html
A 2001/2002-produced laptop with 256MB RAM and 1GHz processor.
Also, having too low specs would not produce 0.1 FPS, but a crash during the worldgen procedure.
That would indeed have been a sweet, sexy, banging machine in 2001, so I'm still not wrong :) And you only crash during worldgen for running out of RAM as far as I know, not slow CPU.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »

Oh, but that's an ultra-portable notebook for a serious professional businessman! The dedicated desktops at the time had as much as 1.8 GHz and up to 1GB RAM, if my memory serves me well.
I suppose that the basic DF version would run on a PII from 1997-9, providing there was enough RAM. Wild guesswork, of course.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:10:12 pm »

I worked at a games developer (true!) in 2000 and we used 1.1 - 1.6 GhZ for our render machines, which we considered to be Godly. The game we were working on had a minimum spec of 600MhZ CPU which everyone was telling us was too high. I had the great and enviable task of testing our games on the absolute minimum spec to ensure that it could actually play on that spec without crashing miserably :D

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:29 pm »

Hehe, those were the times...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:37:49 pm »

I worked at a games developer (true!) in 2000 and we used 1.1 - 1.6 GhZ for our render machines, which we considered to be Godly. The game we were working on had a minimum spec of 600MhZ CPU which everyone was telling us was too high. I had the great and enviable task of testing our games on the absolute minimum spec to ensure that it could actually play on that spec without crashing miserably :D
They tended to be rather optimistic about minimum specs back then, to my recollection.

And I've managed to get through worldgen, barely, on a PII with 256MB of RAM. It still crashed to the desktop on embark though.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!