Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rocktouched - A Community Cave Survival Fort [13 Dwarves left!]  (Read 5841 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Inspired to try a challenge by the Cave Challenge thread over in the Dwarf Mode Discussion forum, I've started a thread here about my newest fort, Rocktouched. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89307.0

Like the Challenge states, we are not allowed to use anything from the surface - no animals, no wood, food, water, or even shallow stone or metals.  Though we are allowed to bring in migrants, we are not allowed to trade with the caravans at all.  Plus, we are unable to utilize the Magma Sea, though if it comes to that, I might break that rule.

For my world and embark, I'll be playing with the Fortress Defense Mod ON, though its rather useless on this particular challenge.  I've also done some minor tweaking of the raws and have allowed dwarves to butcher, and thus eat, sentient creatures.  Pop cap is set at 20, children cap is set at 200% of the adult size.  Weather, aquifers, and exotic animals are turned off.

Though not a succession fort, ALL dwarves except the starting 7 will have their jobs chosen by YOU.  Each player gets one dorf that they may have me do with as they please.  Any job you want, you can have.  Except Beekeeper.  And thats only because we can't have bees underground.   If you want a dual wielding soldier, you can have it.  If you want someone who actually MAKES cheese, you can have it.  Animal trainer, with a pet GCS? Sure.  Its all up to you guys.  By choosing the jobs of the dorfs of my fort, you can help make or break the fort.  Only the first 7 may not have their jobs entirely changed.  Un-picked migrants will do nothing more than hauling until picked.

The Initial 7 Dwarfs: (Updated for Year 1)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are the initial 7 dwarves, if anyone wants to be dorfed by them, just say the dwarf.  Its on a first come first serve basis.  If theres no dwarves available, you can still ask for a dwarf, and you'll be given a migrant.  Just say what kind of dwarf yer looking for, and what their job will be, and I'll see about assigning you a migrant or newborn.  The various migrants are at the bottom of this post.  If they're not taken, they can be dorfed and given ANY job. 

The Starting Location:

Its on mostly a mountainous terrain, with a bit of forest in the corner.  This is at ground-level.  The map has deep and shallow metals, but I think no flux.. I forgot.  The volcano will be accessable at cavern-levels, so power is not an issue.  I plan on finding my way down to the 1st level and making the first part of my fort there. 

Available Migrants! (Remember, their skills don't correspond with their jobs - you can have them be any job, no matter their current skills)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:29:16 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktouched - A Community Cave Survival Fort
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:25 pm »

This is a really interesting challenge! I'm glad you decided to attempt it and share it with us. Since you're dwarfing if the Doctor is still available I'll take him. However if you were going to have each person choose the job of one dwarf I'd really like to see you have an Animal Trainer since you turned the Pet_Exotic tag off (meaning you can train them now right?). It'd be cool to see you utilize some unusual underground creatures. I'm also really impressed you'd allow enough audience participation to let people set the jobs for your other dwarfs. I hope people don't screw you over too much! XD

I'll be really interested to see how you outfit dwarfs considering the restrictions mentioned in the other post. He recommended bone and leather but it sounds like you're going to go for metal? Admittedly "preserving the natural aesthetic of the caves" is a pretty vague rule. if you don't mind me asking since this seems to be primarily centered around the caverns I'd be interested in knowing what your surroundings were like, is this an evil embark or etc? Also you mentioned the Fortress Defense Mod which I don't think I'm familiar with, would you mind linking to that?

This does definitely sound like it's going to be interesting! Best of luck with it! ^^

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »

Allowing the doctor to do some animal training on the side is perfectly ok, and I'll dorf you up as him.  I'll make sure to get cage traps up for him to do some work with :D

As for keeping the natural aesthetic of the caves, I think it means limit the amount of constructed walls and the like in the cave proper.  I plan on buliding into the side of the cave walls and such, so that won't be an issue. 

For outfitting the dwarves, his guidelines was that no metals are to be used, but its not a defacto restriction.  If you got the fuel and the metals in the caves, its ok :D Luckily, after breaching the first caverns, I've found an abundance of iron and tetrahedrite, though no flux in sight.  Plus, the volcano is close by, so I expect to get those forges up soon. 

A nice picture of the cavern, one z-level above where my fort is:

Edit: Woopsy, wrong photo.  Fix'd.

And the fort proper, however pathetic it may be:

In the world gen, I made cavern openness to be very high.  I hate the winding passages most caverns produce.  Its not completely open, but its enough so to be interesting. 

As for the Fortress Defense Mod, it can be found here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0

Although this mod won't be affecting us much, if at all, since we're locking ourselves from the outside, its still an amazing mod.  I've been attacked by armies in year 1 of forts before, though the initial armies are of course weak, and can be handled by a single soldier in almost any type of armor.  Plus, its always fun to trap them, pit them in the arena for training, and use their bodies for meat, leather, bone, and soap.  :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:24:59 pm by Crustypeanut »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:24:39 pm »

Plus, its always fun to trap them, pit them in the arena for training, and use their bodies for meat, leather, bone, and soap.  :D

I laughed! XD Well it seems like you really know what you're doing CrustyPeanut. Since you did come across so much metal and the magma you should definitely have a much easier time of it than the last person did. I'm sure you'll stumble across flux somewhere, but even if you don't Iron should work much better than leather and bone.

Now I'm still really new to DF so without the armies from the outside how much do you expect to spawn in the caverns? I hope it's enough to provide a challenge for you without Forbidden Beasts showing up. I think you did a good job tucking your fort into the cavern so it should be easy to defend. Making it such an open cavern does make it look a lot different from all the ones I've seen before.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of enemy you run into first!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:26:57 pm »

Well, I still may see the odd Forgotten Beast, since they spawn in the cavern edges.  As for creatures, I can already see a Giant Toad (Gotta capture that.. name it Toady One), and a number of elk-birds.  The Commander and The Sherrif have a copper battleaxe and copper warhammer, respectively, so they should be alright.. I hope. 

Edit: Oh yea, that Elkbird didn't stand a chance.  And why are there mountain goats in my tunnel!? o.O

Edit 2: Lawl, goat is stuck in the caves with me now.  Guess since its now a.. cave goat..? I should see about capturing it.. XD

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:42:55 pm by Crustypeanut »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »

How do I join?

I've never faced a FB before.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:35 pm »

Well, just pick one of the dwarves that haven't been picked yet, and i'll dorf you up as him or her.  Currently, no migrants, though you can request one of those instead if you'd rather not have one of the original 7.  From there, if its a migrant, just tell me what you want their job(s) and title to be, and then you're in :D

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktouched - A Community Cave Survival Fort [5 Dwarves left!]
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:48 pm »

Migrants have arrived! I'll post their skills and names up in the original post.  There are only three sadly.. and one's a child.

I'll begin writing more detailed reports once we either get more people dorfed up, or at the start of the second year.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:19:26 pm by Crustypeanut »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktouched - A Community Cave Survival Fort [12 Dwarves left!]
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:40:15 pm »

I'll take the commander, please.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktouched - A Community Cave Survival Fort [12 Dwarves left!]
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 03:46:22 pm »

Nice Choice.. he's one of the major players of the Fort.  Now that one year has gone by, he's done a ton of training and is a legendary axedwarf / fighter.  The Sheriff is a Legendary hammerdwarf/Fighter.  All that from sparring for a whole year..

Story to come soon!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocktouched - A Community Cave Survival Fort [18 Dwarves left!]
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:11:32 pm »

Some advice: Bring a Proficient Bone/Stone craftdwarf for easy, early military setup.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »

That actually isn't necessary anymore.. I've got a magma furnace and forge up and running.  Though I don't have any skilled smiths, I've got some crude iron armor churned out.  UristMcHuman's dwarf has sadly attached himself to his copper axe.. though I'm still gonna make him carry an iron one, once I make it.  As for a stonecrafter, I gots that.  He's my #1 source of pots :D Wood isn't amazingly easy to come by.. so I only use it for beds.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »

One year.  Its been one whole year since they left the Mountainhomes.. in search of a new life.  A life without war, without poverty, without injustice, and without elves.  Especially without elves.  At first, there were only seven.  Seven souls to venture forth into the wastes.. to found their new home.  A home they called “Rocktouched”.  Unlike their forefathers, the citizens of Rocktouched moved underground.. deep underground, where few Dwarves have gone.  At least,where few have gone and returned. 

They called themselves the Duergar, or Gray Dwarves.  While in every physical way they were identical to their Mountain Dwarf fellows, the Duergar lived solely underground, in the caverns beneath the earth.  Though they shunned contact with the outside, they allowed a select few dwarves into their home, into their society. 

Over the past year, their number had risen from seven to twenty-one.  Few more would come, as the Duergar no longer had any contact with their old home.  For all the Duergar knew, the Mountainhomes could have been overran by their enemies, and for all the Mountainhomes knew, the same had happened to the Duergar.  Their enemies were many.. and as varied as the nations of Humans.  There were the Dark Stranglers.. individually weak and cowardly, in numbers they were a threat to even a well trained Dwarf.  Then there were the Beak Wolves.. more intelligent than their Beak Dog kin, and far more evil.  Many more enemies awaited.  However, none were given a second thought by the Duergar.. they had left that behind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UristMcHuman surveyed his people at work.  As commander of the militia and as expedition leader, it was his job to not only guide his people, but to protect them as well.  Over the past year he and his second in command, who was also sheriff for the town, had practiced long and hard at their combat skills.  They also killed a fair number of beasts in the caves, creatures such as elk birds, naked mole dogs, and even the odd troglodyte.  Vucar, the sheriff and Urist's lover, had lost a finger and received numerous nasty scars in a fight with a giant olm, though she recovered quickly and had even gotten used to wielding her warhammer again despite the missing finger.  She kept what was left of her finger tied around her neck as a necklace and grim reminder of what could happen to them lest they lose their vigilance. 

The small Duergar settlement was bustling with activity, as it usually was.  It was early Spring, and although the caverns weren't affected by the seasons nearly to the same extent as the surface, seasonal changes did occur.  The most prominent of the changes were the different plants that grew during each season.  Spring was an important crop season.. and although Rocktouched hadn't gotten their farms set up yet, there was much gathering to be had.  Plants such as sweet pods and plump helmets were in abundance in this time of year.  If the Duergar were to survive, they needed to gather, if not for food, then for alcohol.   Water, though abundant to the south east, was teeming with life.. life that was more likely to eat a thirsty dwarf than anything else.  It had to be pumped into a reservoir, where the iron grates would keep unfriendly creatures out.  Such a project was soon to be finished near the fort's hospital, also under construction.  Even after the reservoir was completed, the Duergar still needed alcohol, lest they lose themselves to insanity. 

Thinking of alcohol, UristMcHuman was thirsty.. and hungry.  Though the fort didn't have either of his favorites, mead and turtle, he would make do with some fine rum and a juicy elk bird steak.  The dining hall wasn't large, nor was it grand, but it was cozy.  A number of phyllite tables and chairs filled the center of room, and a single door made of the same material stood in the entryway.  UristMcHuman reminded himself to commission some statues to be carved for the room. 

Sitting down with meal in hand, Urist was greeted by Vucar, who had just returned from the forges, where she was repairing her copper warhammer.  Copper isn't known to be the hardest metal around, and the hammer was severely damaged in a recent fight with a troll.  The beast's skull seemed to have been of harder material, so she was forced to wrestle, and then strangle the beast to death.  Not a simple task, considering that trolls are easily twice the size of a dwarf.  Vucar was a skilled fighter however, and although she was a master with her warhammer, she could do well with any weapon, or with none at all. 

With her, she had brought a simple meal consisting of a handful of plump helmets.  She was particularly fond of these purple mushrooms, though not for their taste.  She had set her newly repaired hammer on the table.  Though there wasn't a single skilled smith in the fort, multiple members knew enough of the basics to get things forged as needed. 

They discussed the fort's situation at large.  As the sheriff, she was in charge of any justice that needed to be met.. though none had been needed this entire year.  The Duergar of Stonetouched were happy and productive, so there had been no vandalism, tantrums, or violence among them.  Her job had been a boring one.  UristMcHuman's job was far more broad; he had to designate areas to be mined, buildings to be constructed, and furniture to be made.  There was still the issue of there not being enough bedrooms for the population, as well as the bedrooms already made missing important furniture.  Then, there was the too-small refuse pile that kept overflowing with body parts.  If there was one thing that Stonetouched had in abundance, it was body parts.  Every creature, sentient or not, that had been slain near the fort had been brought in and butchered.  At least, they had plenty of meat..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So.. whatcho guys think? :D Wtb more people being dorfed, so I can flesh out the fort.  Got too many haulers..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:53:14 pm by Crustypeanut »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:55:12 pm »

Hello!  May I have a dwarf to call my own? Her name is Flandre, and she is a bookkeeper. Also, her being one of the founders would be wonderful!
EDIT: None of the starting seven have relevant skills, so I understand if you decide not to.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:00:41 pm by Flandre »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:39 pm »

Sure thing, I'll dorf you up right now.  There are a ton of migrants around that have no jobs, and even if they have no relevant skills, its up to you guys what they do.  I'll take any migrant dwarf and give them any job, at the player's request.  The only ones who stay roughly the same are the initial 7.  We have a ton of jobs that are needed right now, so anythings ok.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:11:19 pm by Crustypeanut »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4