Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Something" just killed a Forgotten Beast  (Read 1774 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
"Something" just killed a Forgotten Beast
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:08:04 am »

Ok, so in an attempt to save Frame rate, I bypassed all three Caverns and suck a shaft straight down to the Lava Sea.
As a result, I was somewhat surprised when, scrolling through units, I saw under "Deceased" Omsos Forgotten Beast

A great humanoid composed of Salt. It has a short trunk and it has a bloated body. Beware its webs!
"Its Upper Body Is Gone

Sooo.....  Something in the "underground" chopped the body of a FB in half.  Granted it is made of salt, but still worrying.,
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: "Something" just killed a Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:46 am »

Forgotten Beast and the underground tribesmen don't get along. Odds are, one of the latter pulled an Âsax and skewered the thing with a wooden spear.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:29 am »

Fact - caverns, most of the time, are full of water. Fact two - FBs spawn in caverns. If only that was implemented.

Anyway, it seems you've got some tribes down there that killed it. Or it was one of the silly dust syndromes which knocked it off into a pit or some such.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:12:51 am »

Its Upper Body is Gone doesn't always mean the creature was bisected. It typically just means they have rotted or something from what I have gathered.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:09 am »

Antmen down in the caverns can be pretty nasty to anything that crosses their path, including forgotten beasts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:33 am »

The upper body is the core part. When a creature dies, it's core body part is listed as missing. If the beast was chopped in half, it's lower body would be listed as missing. And it would be dead.

As to what killed it, likely animal people. The slayer will be friendly. Lucky you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:51:00 am »

The various hardcoded materials (amber, coral, water, ash, mud, vomit, salt, grime, but not glass) have "placeholder" physical properties that makes them incredibly weak to attacks, so creatures made of them tend to die when you look at them funny.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 11:05:53 am »

I also once had a FB die by itself. Later, I checked legends. It "died in the heat".

For a while I was confused as to what had happened. Then I realized there was the top of a magma pipe in the caverns. How it fell into the pipe, I do not know.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 11:15:57 am »

Fact - caverns, most of the time, are full of water. Fact two - FBs spawn in caverns. If only that was implemented.

one of the silly dust syndromes which knocked it off into a magma pipe

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:17:38 am »

I thought FBs were magma immune, though?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 11:21:54 am »

No, that's only the &s.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 11:27:45 am »

Antmen are strong, fast, naturally armored, and carry, usually, two spears and shields. A swarm of them is worse than goblins, even if they are armed with wood.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 12:49:20 pm »

Maybe it suffocated somehow?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »

Well, Cetutha, my FB probably didn't knock itself inot the magma pipe, as I don't think it had a breath attack, and nothing lived in the caverns it lived in.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »

Perhaps one of the most terrifying things in df
Scratch that there will always bE something more unspeakable than what you have experienced
Pages: [1] 2