Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on DF based on a hike IRL  (Read 847 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Thoughts on DF based on a hike IRL
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:10 am »

Yesterday, I hiked in Lester Park, which has the Lester River in it. I contemplated several things, including a few about DF. Conclusions:

1. A 30-35-foot cliff is not unrealistic, for I have seen it with my own eyes, and it is near enough vertical for a tile-based ame like DF.

2. If you look hard enough, though, there tends to be a trail somewhere that leads down to the water level, and not necessarily man-made, as some I hiked on were rather steep.

3. Soil is easily held together by tree roots, so natural soil walls holding together is not too unrealistic.

4. Trees being destroyed is.

5. Speaking of trees, they are quite useful as handholds.

6. If you are far enough ahead of your group, no one will mind if you say, "For Double-Exclamation-Points-SCIENCE-Double-Exclamation-Points!"

7. How do you pronounce !!, anyway?

8. Similarly with quality symbols.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on DF based on a hike IRL
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:35 am »

Language wise, the ! symbol is pronounced by clicking your tongue, so !dwarf would be pronounced
*click tongue* -dwôrf

Although I doubt that's how Toady intended it to sound.

Btw what is a handhold?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

Btw what is a handhold?

Something for your hand to hold onto.  In this context, it means for climbing to pull yourself up higher.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:17 pm »

I pronounce "!!Science!!" the same as "Science", just more grandiose and megalomaniacal.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:55:32 pm »

I think about non-DF things in relation to DF all too much. Good observations; I hadn't really thought of these things much.

As for 7, I always imagined the ‼ tags as having effect on the words they surround. That effect being: Scream it as loud as you can. In a dwarvenly manner, if possible.

I would pronounce the quality tags as what they are, said before the item in question.
-well-crafted-
+finely-crafted+
*superior quality*
≡exceptional≡
☼masterful☼

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »

Yesterday, I hiked in Lester Park, which has the Lester River in it. I contemplated several things, including a few about DF. Conclusions:

1. A 30-35-foot cliff is not unrealistic, for I have seen it with my own eyes, and it is near enough vertical for a tile-based ame like DF.

2. If you look hard enough, though, there tends to be a trail somewhere that leads down to the water level, and not necessarily man-made, as some I hiked on were rather steep.

3. Soil is easily held together by tree roots, so natural soil walls holding together is not too unrealistic.

[...]

Are you sure Dfmimiks the world? Couldnt it be the opposit and the world mimiks df?  ;D
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.