Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NY Times Magazine does a full feature on DF with interview  (Read 4657 times)

Yserbius

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sahthet Ofobudzu, the Proboscis Lobster
    • View Profile
NY Times Magazine does a full feature on DF with interview
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:43 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?_r=4&ref=technology&pagewanted=all

Am I the only one going nuts over this? We will be seeing many more dorfs in the ancient halls of our forum, methinks.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: NY Times Magazine does a full feature on DF with interview
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:24:28 am »

Thread already made elsewhere and in deep discussion...
This is a blank sig.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 07:51:40 am »

It wants me to log in.  Meh.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:37 am »

Thread already made elsewhere and in deep discussion...
Then link to it...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:02:14 am »

If you google for it, it's the top link.  Oh man, it even mentions Boatmurdered.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:04 am »

I never knew tarn used meth or was gay, that explains why people get banned for gay jokes etc. (no offense Tarn)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:24:58 am by HorridOwn4ge »
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:21 am »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:37:52 am »

As it's been said before it's already been posted.

That said I'm not sure where you're getting that Tarn is confirmed to be homosexual. It has no mention of his sexuality. The only mention of anything to do with his realtionships is the one with a Cisco system admin, which although is generally a male dominated field does have female employees.

I would think the real reason why he bans for gay jokes it's because they're usually crap that adds nothing to the convsation and I doubt his sexuality no matter what it is would have any affect on that.

Feeling a bit sorry for Toady at this point. Seems like everyone is going to be picking through the little personal life he talked about.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:52:38 am »

That said I'm not sure where you're getting that Tarn is confirmed to be homosexual. It has no mention of his sexuality. The only mention of anything to do with his realtionships is the one with a Cisco system admin, which although is generally a male dominated field does have female employees.

I would think the real reason why he bans for gay jokes it's because they're usually crap that adds nothing to the convsation and I doubt his sexuality no matter what it is would have any affect on that.

Feeling a bit sorry for Toady at this point. Seems like everyone is going to be picking through the little personal life he talked about.

Well it does say the cisco system admin is a 'he' so he was in a homosexual relationship at one point.
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:30 am »

Well it does say the cisco system admin is a 'he' so he was in a homosexual relationship at one point.

Tarn has been single since graduate school, when he dated a Cisco systems administrator for a short time. I asked him whether he wanted children. “I don’t mind the idea of never having kids,” he said. “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

I see no mention of the Cisco administrator being a He, theres absolutely no mention of sexual preference in any way whatsoever, neither straight nor gay.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 11:22:33 am »

I never knew tarn used meth or was gay, that explains why people get banned for gay jokes etc. (no offense Tarn)

The same way we know he's a woman because he locks threads that stray into sexist territory, like the threads about gender-segregated forts sometimes do?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 11:42:34 am »

I are confuse about that, but I do know that I have my work cut out for me if I want to be a programmer.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:06 am »

Something about a bunch of bums trying to abyoose people? what?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »

Tarn has been single since graduate school, when he dated a Cisco systems administrator for a short time. I asked him whether he wanted children. “I don’t mind the idea of never having kids,” he said. “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

I see no mention of the Cisco administrator being a He, theres absolutely no mention of sexual preference in any way whatsoever, neither straight nor gay.

Then I misunderstood the sentence as English isn't my first language and I apologize for any misconvenience I caused after my post.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »

Psst, Horrid.
Might want to lock the topic before it turns into a further debate about great Toady's sexual preference.
Pages: [1] 2 3