Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57288 times)

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2011, 12:10:20 am »

Maybe hook him up with a nice girl, so that they can get married and one day have little Toadlets who can carry on the great works. Should be simple enough, just lock two dwarfs people in the same room, drop in food and booze once a month, and watch them grind their social skills to legendary!
Of course, we don't know his sexuality or possible lack of, whether or not he actually wants any social contact beyond his bro, or whether he wants children or not.
Or, y'know, one could actually read the article all the way through to the part where the author quotes Toady addressing those very issues :
I asked him whether he wanted children. “I don’t mind the idea of never having kids,” he said. “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

He expressed similar ambivalence about finding a romantic partner. “If I were in the supermarket one day and someone came on really strong and it was a mutual thing, I’d probably get pushed along, but it’s not something I’m anticipating,” he said. His interest has dwindled. “It’s easier not to care about that stuff when you’re in your 30s.”

And there's nothing wrong with his nocturnal sleep pattern, tons of people work the third shift. Nothing harmful about it. Frankly it's better for his work - the graveyard shift generates fewer distractions.
Getting to the point where NOT drinking soda gives you a headache is definitely bad news. That's the cold hard truth.
It's caffeine dependency. It's entirely common and not really harmful to one's health in the least. It's no different than somebody who needs that cup of coffee in the morning to get going. As far as the "one-meal-a-day rule" he follows, there's support out there for it being a viable eating pattern with distinct health benefits, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

I mean, frankly, he's living the spartan lifestyle of the artist who devotes everything to his work. And it works for him. Who are we to second-guess his method?

Thanks for putting things in to perspective.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:58 am »

Maybe hook him up with a nice girl, so that they can get married and one day have little Toadlets who can carry on the great works. Should be simple enough, just lock two dwarfs people in the same room, drop in food and booze once a month, and watch them grind their social skills to legendary!
Of course, we don't know his sexuality or possible lack of, whether or not he actually wants any social contact beyond his bro, or whether he wants children or not.
Or, y'know, one could actually read the article all the way through to the part where the author quotes Toady addressing those very issues :
I asked him whether he wanted children. “I don’t mind the idea of never having kids,” he said. “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

He expressed similar ambivalence about finding a romantic partner. “If I were in the supermarket one day and someone came on really strong and it was a mutual thing, I’d probably get pushed along, but it’s not something I’m anticipating,” he said. His interest has dwindled. “It’s easier not to care about that stuff when you’re in your 30s.”

And there's nothing wrong with his nocturnal sleep pattern, tons of people work the third shift. Nothing harmful about it. Frankly it's better for his work - the graveyard shift generates fewer distractions.
Getting to the point where NOT drinking soda gives you a headache is definitely bad news. That's the cold hard truth.
It's caffeine dependency. It's entirely common and not really harmful to one's health in the least. It's no different than somebody who needs that cup of coffee in the morning to get going. As far as the "one-meal-a-day rule" he follows, there's support out there for it being a viable eating pattern with distinct health benefits, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

I mean, frankly, he's living the spartan lifestyle of the artist who devotes everything to his work. And it works for him. Who are we to second-guess his method?

Jesus.

Buddha.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2011, 12:28:26 am »

I'll agree on the eating habits and messy room, but dammit I'll defend to the death his choice of sleeping patterns!

Let us not be slaves to when the sun rises!

I agree. You're not wasting any bogeyman-free traveling time when you're just staying in one place.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2011, 12:29:25 am »

Jesus.

You implying you're Jesus? or we're all Jesus? is bay 12 purgatory or something?

Now my heads hurts.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2011, 12:49:09 am »

Ever Watcher is Buddha in purgatory, trying to have desert adventures to get freedom from the Flying spaghetti monster.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2011, 12:54:39 am »

It would be nice for Toady to switch to something better than carbonated beverages, but if there really is an addiction (in the chemical sense), it would have to be done gradually. I would recommend picking a few good teas (even if they have caffine or caffine-likes), then switching out a daily cup of soda with a daily cup of tea every two weeks. From what I've experienced with soda and seen experienced, this should cause him to slowly drop fat and leave him feeling like he's dropped an energy sink as well.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:49 am »

I am a strong supporter of any plan that involves vast amounts of tea.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2011, 01:07:21 am »

He's clearly in a fey mood-we just need to make sure he has access to all the items he needs.  Someone donate a turtle shell!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:22 am »

Reading that article brought a sad smile to my face. I have tremendous respect for Tarn, his close relationship with his family, his strength of principals and character, and his drive to pursue his goals despite any sacrifices he might have to make. It's like the result of distilling selfless human creative ambition, and putting it into the receptacle of an awkward and beardy mathematician. I have nothing but honest admiration for him.

What makes me sad is that, despite everything that he represents as an man, a giver, and a truly uncommon artist, society will continue to value the uninspired and uninspiring, or the careless and thoughtless at hundreds of times the value he will ever be- those derivative and selfishly created things that permeate the markets of the world, consume the smallest and most inspiring enterprises, and bleed them dry. Billions will be paid for shallow sequels to played-out films and stories, and games that tread those same, thoroughly explored waters of creative mediocrity. All the while, something groundbreaking sees its creator drinking soda like water, because he doesn't get enough calories in the one meal he can afford to eat per day... because we live in a culture that values the ability of an idea to earn money independently from its actual and intrinsic value.

To say it's truly heartbreaking would be melodramatic- especially considering the world and its people as a whole- but within the sphere of our culture, and its evolution and progress, it's simply not right.

this text should be put in a frame and hung on a wall. And yes, there is no awe smiley.

I don't, however think that he has just one meal a day. I mean, that probably means he has one meal in a diner a day. Right? Right?...Oh come on! Any worst and the worlds most complex game will be created by a hobo...not that thats not awesomesauce but it does concern me.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2011, 01:36:57 am »

Reading that article brought a sad smile to my face. I have tremendous respect for Tarn, his close relationship with his family, his strength of principals and character, and his drive to pursue his goals despite any sacrifices he might have to make. It's like the result of distilling selfless human creative ambition, and putting it into the receptacle of an awkward and beardy mathematician. I have nothing but honest admiration for him.

What makes me sad is that, despite everything that he represents as an man, a giver, and a truly uncommon artist, society will continue to value the uninspired and uninspiring, or the careless and thoughtless at hundreds of times the value he will ever be- those derivative and selfishly created things that permeate the markets of the world, consume the smallest and most inspiring enterprises, and bleed them dry. Billions will be paid for shallow sequels to played-out films and stories, and games that tread those same, thoroughly explored waters of creative mediocrity. All the while, something groundbreaking sees its creator drinking soda like water, because he doesn't get enough calories in the one meal he can afford to eat per day... because we live in a culture that values the ability of an idea to earn money independently from its actual and intrinsic value.

To say it's truly heartbreaking would be melodramatic- especially considering the world and its people as a whole- but within the sphere of our culture, and its evolution and progress, it's simply not right.

this text should be put in a frame and hung on a wall. And yes, there is no awe smiley.

I don't, however think that he has just one meal a day. I mean, that probably means he has one meal in a diner a day. Right? Right?...Oh come on! Any worst and the worlds most complex game will be created by a hobo...not that thats not awesomesauce but it does concern me.

If Toady becomes homeless, then we're ALL screwed.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:42 am »

If Toady becomes homeless, then we're ALL screwed.
That, would be a bug.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2011, 02:10:36 am »

The soda is the only thing I worry about.  Caffeine is alright, as you say, but there are far worse things in soda.  It's seriously unhealthy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 24, 2011, 02:26:19 am »

The soda is the only thing I worry about.  Caffeine is alright, as you say, but there are far worse things in soda.  It's seriously unhealthy.

How seriously? Last I checked, the soda drinking population wasn't dropping dead. My heart is still beating.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 24, 2011, 02:33:30 am »

How seriously? Last I checked, the soda drinking population wasn't dropping dead. My heart is still beating.

2,600,000 ammericans die from heart problems each year.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2011, 02:57:02 am »

Something doesn't need to kill you to be bad for you; the noticeable effects of drinking soda on a regular basis are constant weight gain and an everpresent "bleh" feeling. It's that feeling that makes it hard to get up out of bed in the morning, and easy to spend 8 hours watching re-runs on TV; even without any medical information, you can feel that it isn't good, but you keep drinking the soda because if you just stop you'll feel the falling part of a sugar spike followed by caffeine withdrawal. Get yourself off soda (slowly but surely), and you'll notice the difference.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24