Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 58852 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2011, 08:13:41 pm »

Yea, that is another thing. Fruit, heard of it?
One day, when I happen to be in the US of A, we should all turn up at Toadys place and fix the place up. He has been in that burrow with he's labours on repeat for too long from the sound of it.

Maybe hook him up with a nice girl, so that they can get married and one day have little Toadlets who can carry on the great works. Should be simple enough, just lock two dwarfs people in the same room, drop in food and booze once a month, and watch them grind their social skills to legendary!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »

I am rather concerned about Toady's nutrician...

What is Toady eating on a weekly basis?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »

Dammit Toady! A well rested, well fed programmer with stable blood sugar levels and sufficient vitamin C is a productive and happy programmer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2011, 08:21:44 pm »

The issue is the community

Getting back on track can be harsh on your body.

I know that whenever I go to healthy eating habits I get serious gastrointestinal distress.

It could slow down his development for over a week.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2011, 09:47:01 pm »

I'll agree on the eating habits and messy room, but dammit I'll defend to the death his choice of sleeping patterns!

Let us not be slaves to when the sun rises!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »

Maybe hook him up with a nice girl, so that they can get married and one day have little Toadlets who can carry on the great works. Should be simple enough, just lock two dwarfs people in the same room, drop in food and booze once a month, and watch them grind their social skills to legendary!
Of course, we don't know his sexuality or possible lack of, whether or not he actually wants any social contact beyond his bro, or whether he wants children or not.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2011, 10:38:12 pm »

One cannot breed good booze, as well as brilliance, in sterility. Knock it off with the bs.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »

I really liked the article. The author really seemed to get Dwarf Fortress and his portrait of Tarn and Zach was neither fawning nor insulting but clear-eyed and humane. He certainly seems to have gotten to know them, and it's a nice insight into a Legendary game designer.

Should be simple enough, just lock two dwarfs people in the same room, drop in food and booze once a month, and watch them grind their social skills to legendary!

I will never think of power leveling or grinding in the same way again. Damn you!
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2011, 11:05:51 pm »

My dark work is done.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »

Of course, we don't know his sexuality or possible lack of, whether or not he actually wants any social contact beyond his bro, or whether he wants children or not.
Or, y'know, one could actually read the article all the way through to the part where the author quotes Toady addressing those very issues :
I asked him whether he wanted children. “I don’t mind the idea of never having kids,” he said. “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

He expressed similar ambivalence about finding a romantic partner. “If I were in the supermarket one day and someone came on really strong and it was a mutual thing, I’d probably get pushed along, but it’s not something I’m anticipating,” he said. His interest has dwindled. “It’s easier not to care about that stuff when you’re in your 30s.”

And there's nothing wrong with his nocturnal sleep pattern, tons of people work the third shift. Nothing harmful about it. Frankly it's better for his work - the graveyard shift generates fewer distractions.
Getting to the point where NOT drinking soda gives you a headache is definitely bad news. That's the cold hard truth.
It's caffeine dependency. It's entirely common and not really harmful to one's health in the least. It's no different than somebody who needs that cup of coffee in the morning to get going. As far as the "one-meal-a-day rule" he follows, there's support out there for it being a viable eating pattern with distinct health benefits, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

I mean, frankly, he's living the spartan lifestyle of the artist who devotes everything to his work. And it works for him. Who are we to second-guess his method?
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »

True, very true. And we most likely would not have the greatest, and most deep game ever known if we wasn't as dedicated. I am still a little taken back as to just the lengths he goes to though...

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

He's probably actually healthier than half the forum's population. Mentally and physically. He's got a focus the likes of which few people ever attain.
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2011, 11:15:33 pm »

Or, y'know, one could actually read the article all the way through to the part where the author quotes Toady addressing those very issues :
I asked him whether he wanted children. “I don’t mind the idea of never having kids,” he said. “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

He expressed similar ambivalence about finding a romantic partner. “If I were in the supermarket one day and someone came on really strong and it was a mutual thing, I’d probably get pushed along, but it’s not something I’m anticipating,” he said. His interest has dwindled. “It’s easier not to care about that stuff when you’re in your 30s.”

And there's nothing wrong with his nocturnal sleep pattern, tons of people work the third shift. Nothing harmful about it. Frankly it's better for his work - the graveyard shift generates fewer distractions.
Getting to the point where NOT drinking soda gives you a headache is definitely bad news. That's the cold hard truth.
It's caffeine dependency. It's entirely common and not really harmful to one's health in the least. It's no different than somebody who needs that cup of coffee in the morning to get going. As far as the "one-meal-a-day rule" he follows, there's support out there for it being a viable eating pattern with distinct health benefits, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

I mean, frankly, he's living the spartan lifestyle of the artist who devotes everything to his work. And it works for him. Who are we to second-guess his method?

Jesus.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2011, 11:30:22 pm »

He's probably actually healthier than half the forum's population. Mentally and physically. He's got a focus the likes of which few people ever attain.
Mentally, maybe. Anyone that devoted is either has their head on straight and has quite a bit of willpower, or is batshit crazy. I'm gonna assume he's the former.

Physically... he sounds about as good as me, which is to say, not good. Big differences being I'm not quite as caffeine dependent and I'm underweight instead of heavy set. The article *did* mention walks though, so if he's getting exercise then I can't complain too much.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2011, 11:51:07 pm »

I'd be interested in hearing what Tarn thinks about all this here. Not sure if we'd feel the Toady wrath or what. If Rainseeker or Capntastic could prod him about it on the next DF Talk that would be alright.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24