Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 58871 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2011, 01:55:45 am »

Creative people are often eccentric. Also, "well balanced" lifestyles tend to not have much free time for stuff like this.

Not to say he's not unhealthy and whatnot, just sayin'.

People pour 40+ hours a week to job while being considered to have "well ballanced filestyle". I do not see making df all that different from having job because for Toady, it IS his job.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2011, 02:22:47 am »

Just in case the NYT article wasn't enough information, the Bay12 servers are in for some rough treatment.  Slashdot just linked the NYT article.

Those fuckers.
What's wrong? Why are we going to get rough treatment?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2011, 02:26:05 am »

Creative people are often eccentric. Also, "well balanced" lifestyles tend to not have much free time for stuff like this.

Not to say he's not unhealthy and whatnot, just sayin'.

People pour 40+ hours a week to job while being considered to have "well ballanced filestyle". I do not see making df all that different from having job because for Toady, it IS his job.
40 hours a week isn't very much when it comes to game development.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2011, 02:26:26 am »

Loads, and loads, and loads of migrants.

Here's to hoping the Mafia subforum gets some, and we don't have the world's largest outbreak of asshattitude due to critical mass of new people who don't know the culture or something ::)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2011, 02:27:34 am »

Here's to hoping the Mafia subforum gets some, and we don't have the world's largest outbreak of asshattitude due to critical mass of new people who don't know the culture or something ::)
Just throw them into the bay if they're a problem. [/reallyoldjoke]
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2011, 02:46:29 am »

Article does make me feel worried about Toady's health, but I'm still grateful for the game and the work they put in the game o-o While creating something great exactly as you want it without being controlled by other people does sound nice to me, I'm not one of those genius people who can do everything themselves, so I'd rather have team of awesome people with me... Though, that might have something to do with the fact that I'm lonely, I'd probably give up my dream if it would result me in never getting friends and I'm not saying that lightly. Anyway, each to their own I guess everyone have different values, if Toady likes hermit creator way, then hes allowed to do that xD And at least he has his brother with him.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:56:57 am by MaskedMiner »

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2011, 03:17:45 am »

Reading about the happenings behind the curtains helps put Dwarf Fortress's current stage of development into prospective.

An article like this will attract a number of players... in which about 95% of them will find the game way too difficult. I do hope they read the "How to play" guides...

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2011, 04:04:20 am »

This is quite an interesting insight on Toady and ThreeToe's lives. The article gets sent out tomorrow, so we'll probably see the results by the end of next week.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2011, 04:17:26 am »

Thats enough time for me to go get my idiot armour on. Heres hoping at least a small percentage of the sheeple that end up here have at least half a brain. Go go optimism!
This is a blank sig.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2011, 04:20:17 am »

Why, hello there negativity my old friend! How have you been?

Put out the welcome mat, and brew up some iced tea. Shit is about to get neighborly.

bryce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2011, 04:47:44 am »

Keep in mind what you read is not Truth, but rather a single person's view of another person's life after spending 5 days with them.  What might a NYT report about you if they spent the last 5 days living with you?

If you've gotten value out of DF, and think Toady should have a better life, it's quite simple:  Send a donation.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2011, 05:12:27 am »

I bet, after this article, springerlink noticed some unexpected visitors to their website.

Toady, you should publish more. I expect something like:
``Convergence of Flat Dwarves in Hilbert Spaces''

Or develop a theory!
Man, `Spectral Beard Analysis' sounds about as tempting as it intimidates me.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2011, 05:26:06 am »

I find said article incredibly interesting, not to mention surprisingly intimate. It also made me ponder in many ways, one being that of choosing to do the thing your really love. I see myself somehow in similar position as ToadyOne years ago - I've graduated last year and I'm currently in a post-graduate course. If I work hard I am sure I can get steady and even well paid job in industry and with further hard work I'll be well off in my old years, maybe even contribute with an innovation or two in the field of technology I am specializing for in the process.
But the problem is that sometimes I simply don't see myself that way. There are projects, unrelated to my current path I choose and it is hard to let the thought of seeing them through go.
Not to mention that I too currently see no use in socializing if a can do things better alone. Ugghhh.

But enough of my rambling. One of the things this article made me believe even strongly than before is that Dwarf Fortress WILL get finished. I always believed that DF was a life-long PROJECT, not simply another indie game in-the-making. It is my opinion that NYT article displays quite nicely what DF really means to Zack and Tarn and it also seems to me both of them are quite happy with their current life.

Also, ToadyOne said that Minecraft getting a lot of exposure is generally good thing for DF too, so I do not think he really dislikes those who enjoy Minecraft, as one user in this topic was wandering.

This is just how I see things, however.

I bet, after this article, springerlink noticed some unexpected visitors to their website.

Toady, you should publish more. I expect something like:
``Convergence of Flat Dwarves in Hilbert Spaces''

Or develop a theory!
Man, `Spectral Beard Analysis' sounds about as tempting as it intimidates me.
Oh man, this post made me laugh. Thanks. :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2011, 06:56:28 am »

I appreciated learning more about Tarn and Zach, and also why Mr. Scamps has no tail.   :P  Seriously, I saved a copy of the article for a more leisurely re-reading, just in case something happens to prevent access to the original.  It's certainly worth re-reading.  There is a lot of interesting detail in there.

Hurrah for Bay12!
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2011, 07:17:33 am »

Keep in mind what you read is not Truth, but rather a single person's view of another person's life after spending 5 days with them.  What might a NYT report about you if they spent the last 5 days living with you?

If you've gotten value out of DF, and think Toady should have a better life, it's quite simple:  Send a donation.

They wouldn't. They'd be hanging from my closet now.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24