Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57159 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #330 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:03 pm »

Legos are nice, but in the end what is made is meaningless.  Even if it's shown to friends and appreciated it serves as little more than decoration.

EDIT: I'm sure that can be said about a lot of games, but in other games often what is done opens up other possibilities for fun within the game.   In something like minecraft after building your crafting stuff and your equipment you just build like legos, and those things made after that point really don't do much to expand what you can do for entertainment.

Your problem is that you aren't using nearly enough redstone.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zx.pr0jk#

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblin Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 29, 2011, 11:57:35 pm »

Toady One has entered a strange mood... he withdraws from society.

Can't wait to see this artifact.

Probably be a toy hammer.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2011, 03:23:33 am »

Blog article left me with a warm glow.  The writer was clearly impressed.

So, does Toady start selling ASCII potraits now?

For $100's of course.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2011, 04:28:35 am »

Blog article left me with a warm glow.  The writer was clearly impressed.

So, does Toady start selling ASCII potraits now?

For $100's of course.

That might be even cooler than crayon art. Everyone should be donating at least $100 anyway, so that's not a problem.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2011, 04:55:53 am »

I would bet my shirt Scamps attacked the poor guy at some point. 5 days in Scamps' house ? He must've been mauled to near-death at least 3 times.
I'll just leave this here.

Thanks a bunch for that link, I love it and will definitely spread it around. :D

And it was definitely a fascinating article. It's awesome when a person lives their dream and creates something so enjoyable for others in the process, too. The health concerns, yeah ... I hope nothing will develop there. But overall, it is a touching article, very respectfully written IMO, and makes me appreciate this game even more. The point about not wanting to make the user his slave anymore is one that should be wrapped around a clue-by-four and used to hit some big-name developers over the head with.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2011, 01:04:23 pm »

I just searched the NY Times site for Dwarf Fortress and it seems they've posted another short paragraph for people who want to learn how to play. Apparently, there's a class at the "University of Reddit" (the website) that will be streaming soon. Roughly 700 people have signed up for it, so it seems that the article may have been good for numbers here.

Either that or Dwarf Fortress is so difficult to play that it has become an area of academic study.

Its at least worthy of a college course.

I remember telling that to friends while I was learning how to play.  Its was funny watching some of Captnduck's youtube tutorials for 40d , and then he has more for 2010.  All together its 48 video tutorials in all, about 10 minutes long each.  Its like listening to a college professor lecture, and if you compared time spent playing the game to homework and work done in class.  Well, lets just say that college credit should be offered to fans of the game.

But its at least a fun college course.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2011, 01:07:54 pm »

I winced involuntarily when I saw the part about drinking tons of soda and no water.
Yeah, it sounds like he's going to have to learn to piss rocks one of these days.
I just searched the NY Times site for Dwarf Fortress and it seems they've posted another short paragraph for people who want to learn how to play. Apparently, there's a class at the "University of Reddit" (the website) that will be streaming soon. Roughly 700 people have signed up for it, so it seems that the article may have been good for numbers here.
For people too lazy to search, a link:
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/its-never-too-late-to-learn-how-to-succeed-while-in-fortress-mode/?scp=3&sq=Dwarf%20Fortres&st=cse

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

For people too lazy to search, a link:
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/its-never-too-late-to-learn-how-to-succeed-while-in-fortress-mode/?scp=3&sq=Dwarf%20Fortres&st=cse

Thanks for that grab, I was a little too lazy/distracted to link it. Hopefully it keeps growing, I may stop by to see if there's anything I can do to help out. Any experience players can only help to spread the game and grow the village we have on here.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

Also, it looks like they did something like this about a year ago.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »

Did you all read the bit at the end of the article? I wanna mine stars!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2011, 08:59:38 am »

I'm not sure I believe that Toady actually codes on this game every day. Not having a schedule or anyone to answer to tends to breed that sort of thing. I'm not saying I blame him or I'd do anything different, I just don't really think he spends as much time coding as he claims in the dev log. Then again, the NY Times guy was with him for 5 days, so .....perhaps he does.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:23 am »

I don't doubt it at all. He loves to program this game, so it's very easy for him to spend all his time doing it. Plus it's actually his job, so no guilt.

I bet he gets distracted by playing it, though.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:38 am »

I don't doubt it at all. He loves to program this game, so it's very easy for him to spend all his time doing it. Plus it's actually his job, so no guilt.

I bet he gets distracted by testing it, though.
Fixed that for you. ;)

If I could quit my job to work on one of the most awesome games ever, I'd do it every damn day.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:54 am »

I'm not sure I believe that Toady actually codes on this game every day. Not having a schedule or anyone to answer to tends to breed that sort of thing. I'm not saying I blame him or I'd do anything different, I just don't really think he spends as much time coding as he claims in the dev log. Then again, the NY Times guy was with him for 5 days, so .....perhaps he does.

I'd like to redirect you to the last time you started this discussion.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

Footkerchief, that was in March 2010. Your memory is inhuman...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24