Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57190 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2011, 11:52:15 pm »

Just listened to the interview Toady posted on the dev page that boing boing did with the article writer. The description the british guy gave of DF at the beginning was hilarious, talking about the game wanting to kill you and no matter what you do it will succeed in doing so. Not entirely true unless bordom or low FPS count but awesome all the same.

I found it suprising that this apparently extremely geeky person who played pen and paper games had never heard of DF. I also found it a little annoying that he kept steering the topic towards minecraft, it didn't seem like he was that interested in talking about it, or just wasn't fond of the game in general but liked the idea of it.

They kinda lost it at the end though when they were talking about how Tarn should charge money to play so he can hire people to help him program. Didn't seem like they understood what Dwarf Fortress or Tarn was all about at all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:30:24 am by BloodBeard »

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2011, 12:20:29 am »

I found this comment on the article hilarious

"Why haven't Tarn and Zach developed an iPad version of Dwarf Fortress? The iPad has a huge game market, a big (enough) screen, and it's portable. I imagine Dwarf Fortress could be a popular game for (a specific niche of) commuters and travelers." -Christopher I recommend reading the comments at nyt's site.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2011, 12:26:47 am »

For people that were very surprised at the meth use:  Meth is synonymous with "speed," and from my understanding it's basically like an incredibly enormous hit of Ritalin.  The aforementioned friend and others used it during undergrad because it gave them the ridiculous focus and drive to complete impossible math problems.  Plus, you don't have to sleep!  It's often lurking in the background of the hardcore engineering/math schools.

The guys that make it are the guys that get in their chairs at any time. Get in at 3am, get up at 4. That's why there ain't a game developer I know that don't take speed.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:52 am »

Is anyone in NY planning on seeing the museum exhibit? I'd be interested in a description, review, photos etc.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2011, 12:41:35 am »

@ Graebeard - Yes, I agree, I think we just overreacted to eachother's perceived tone. Text sucks it that regard.

@ G-Flex -Since the topic's already been dropped by Graebeard and myself, it's spoilered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suffice to say, and I'm done with the subject entirely: A "Good Diet" is not something that you can generalize. It is not an exact science. Every person is different. Different metabolism, different tolerances to various foods, different effects from any given nutritional source, different caloric quantities needed to function. So just because something works for you doesn't mean it's going to work for someone else. And Toady seems to be functioning just fine.

Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2011, 01:58:34 am »

@ Main In Zero G: okay fine I'll spoiler it too

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe soda is a diuretic.  So no, it isn't possible to "truly" rehydrate oneself via most sodas.

Caffeine is definitely a diuretic, but I'm not sure how much that would matter with soda (might depend on the soda). You can probably get enough water, but you'd have to drink more of it than straight water, of course.

This entire thread we had awhile back. It has nothing to do with carbonation, but rather the fact that human beings require water to synthesize the energy molecules necessary to sustain life.

More than that, really. Our bodies have a hell of a lot of water in them, and we need it for plenty of processes, and just to maintain the correct level of fluids in our bodies and clean out our systems. You pee for a reason, after all. :P

@G-Flex: High amounts of High Fructose Corn Syrup and synthetic sugars are bad for you. Fruits contain natural versions of fructose, which are widely regarded as less bad for you, as it's not steeped with processed sugar chemicals as HFCS

I'm not sure what chemicals you're talking about. Some things used in (or byproducts of) HFCS might be carcinogenic, I guess, but fructose is fructose, none any different from any other. Impurities matter, but a 50/50 fructose/glucose blend is a 50/50 fructose/glucose blend. It would still be pretty unhealthy to drink a gallon of fruit juice every day... perhaps not as much as soda, and one key point is that fruit juice actually has nutritional value aside from sugar, but drinking a ton of that isn't great for you either.

This becomes obvious when you are diabetic or hypoglycemic. Any amount of processed sugars such as high fructose corn syrup and white sugar will simply kill people like me barring medical intervention (insulin), whereas small amounts of natural sugars are okay (cane sugar and honey).

I'm extremely curious how this is true. White sugar is cane sugar, albeit purified and probably bleached, and honey is mostly glucose and fructose, with a little more fructose than glucose; it's only about 1.3% sucrose according to Wikipedia. Maybe it's because there's more fructose, which interacts with insulin differently? That would be my guess, if it's true.

EDIT: Sources - Oh, and the whole reason HFCS is everywhere in the US? It's cheap due to corn subsidies by the government. Because it's so sweet in little quantities, people develop a small form of taste bud "sugar addiction" which is greatly aiding our Obesity epidemic. The poor and less-educated about health tend to drink up the soda and eat such foods and live a lifestyle that makes Heart disease/failure the biggest killer of Americans.

One problem here is that "high fructose corn syrup" doesn't tell you how high-fructose it actually is. It might be 50/50, but it might also be 70/30. I'm not sure what is more commonly used. This could definitely make a difference, since the two are metabolized fairly differently.

At any rate, even if soda used white cane sugar, it would still be problematic. People drink the stuff a whole lot even though it is, as I've said, basically candy. We've reached a point where a lot of people won't even drink water because they're used to drinking something sweet, to the point where companies make a lot of money selling artificially-sweetened water flavoring packets. It's like we're a nation of children who need sweets all the time, and I don't get that. I can get when people need the caffeine from soda because they've been drinking it for years, but why do people feel the need to spend money on making their water taste sweet?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2011, 02:39:48 am »

It's because of how the body deals with glucose over time. Small amounts of refined sugars and also in the form of carbohydrates induces a sharp immediate reaction - hormones including insulin and such are released to process sugars from carbs and such and convert them down to simpler forms from sucrose to glucose to glycogen. So if the sugars are already processed and refined, the sharp reaction induces a quick unhealthy swing in the biochemistry of the blood of diabetics (hyperglycemia) and hypoglycemics, leading to shock or a reaction that will soon induce shock. Unprocessed sugars take awhile for the body to process giving time for the body to adjust, and often less overall glucose to manage. Cane sugar and honey has a much lower glucose content than refined sugar as you saw.

This is also why those with metabolic diseases are also told to eat wheat bread and brown rice (complex carbohydrates that take time to digest and be reduced to glucose) vs. white bread and rice, which are processed simple carbohydrates that break down quickly - imagine the effect of alcohol when you drink a beer vs. chugging a bottle of vodka. That's much like the difference between having just a bit of complex carbs/unrefined-sugars versus having refined pure sugar.

The reason that I say HFCS is a chemical that is bad for you - we don't have studies on the longterm effects of HFCS because there's so many other variables involved - however, the sugar content that it contains is the equivalent of effectively sugar-bingeing every time you have it, flooding your metabolism with -as you said- pure candy. It's not healthy by any definition - it's just that our bodies are marvelous bio-chemical machines built to handle the equivalent of say, placing rocket fuel in your car. It somehow works but ultimately deteriorates your system. And you're right about juice, drinking lots of fruit juice is also something the body was never designed to do. We are not hummingbirds.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2011, 02:58:20 am »

I found this comment on the article hilarious

"Why haven't Tarn and Zach developed an iPad version of Dwarf Fortress? The iPad has a huge game market, a big (enough) screen, and it's portable. I imagine Dwarf Fortress could be a popular game for (a specific niche of) commuters and travelers." -Christopher I recommend reading the comments at nyt's site.

Oh wow...that is ignorance in the extreme.  Although, I suppose an iPad version of DF would be nice, you know, if you felt like running a 1x1 embark for shits and giggles while at work, and didn't mind 1 to 3 FPS on a good day.  It would probably take 3 or so days to get through worldgen though.

Yeah, good for a laugh though.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 25, 2011, 03:05:07 am »

Hey!  The fact that nutritional wisdom has changed over time is no reason to disregard current conventional nutritional wisdom.  I mean, lots of things have changed over time.  We don't think bleeding is particularly useful for most things anymore, right?  But that doesn't mean that medicine is totally useless-- it means that medicine is useful, because it's smart enough to change.  Doesn't mean that all we know is right either!  But mostly, we go by "more likely to be right than wrong."

Still, I totally disagree with most of the nutritional advice in here.  It's not that it's totally wrong-- it's that it's overstated.

Why soda might be bad for you:

There are several popularly accepted reasons for why soda might be bad for you.

One is excess caloric intake.  This is the stuff people are talking about when they talk about diabetes, heart disease, etc.  It's really misleading to talk about this stuff as leading from soda when it really has nothing to do with soda (or even sugar, for that matter-- excess caloric intake from protein or fat is really just as bad; a high fat diet is accepted by the ADA, admittedly not an international source but a reputable source, as a risk factor for diabetes when a high carbohydrate diet is not accepted by the ADA as a risk factor for diabetes.)  Now, one of the things is that this has nothing to do with people who are not overweight but drink a lot of soda!  (BTW, read the studies linked earlier, but read them critically, ask yourself what the study did.)  For one thing, it has nothing to do with diet sodas.  For another thing, it has nothing to do with people who get adequate dietary nutrients from their diet but the majority of their calories from soda yet remain within normal weight ranges.

A subset of excess caloric intake is sugar distribution.  This is really contentious, and poorly supported.  But in any case, "natural" sugars don't seem any better than "unnatural" sugars.  The fructose that comes from honey is just as bad as the fructose that comes from HFCS, if fructose actually is worse than glucose.

The other reason soda might be bad for you is because of phosphorous.  Phosphorous is endemic in carbonated sodas (no, neither the carbon nor the carbonic acid are bad at all, unless you've got something else, something serious, going on) and seems to be associated with osteoporosis.  That's because your body makes bones out of phosphorous and calcium, and in some ways, a high phosphorous intake seems to lead to low calcium depositation.  But!  Osteoporosis is a significant problem, but really, only for old people and sick people.  People in their thirties don't generally need to care about osteoporosis (some exceptions), and the dangers of high phosphorous intake are easily reversed.

What about water?  No, it's not an issue.  Some popular nutritionists will tell you things like caffeinated beverages dehydrate you more than they hydrate you, but it's not true, as evidenced by people who don't drink water and do just fine.  Studies involving coffee have found a high tolerance to the diuretic effects of caffeine such that habitual users suffer NO diuretic effect.  (If you get a headache without it, you're a habitual user.)  Actual water needs are grossly inflated by people in the fitness business as compared to those in the medical business, generally because of misunderstanding the statistic that people need about 2L of water a day to make up for losses-- when most of that water comes from food (yes, even with infrequent meals) and some of it actually comes from metabolic CREATION of water (part of glycolysis), which occurs with much more frequency that the metabolic consumption of water.  Most of your water needs are not metabolic, but rather excretory, because you need to get rid of things like excess salt in your pee, and you can only concentrate it so much, although you can concentrate it, healthily, quite a bit more than many people claim.  (Again, going at this from the American medical perspective, as opposed to the nutritionist/personal trainer perspective.)

As for the rest?  People with more orgasms live longer, statistically.  People on night shift get depressed more often, statistically.  It's not enough to be worth telling anybody how to live their life!  You're going to be giving people wrong information almost half the time!  People choose how they want to live, and there are usually really good reasons for their choices, reasons that are inaccessible to strangers on an internet message-board, and those choices are rarely made in ignorance of popular opinion/knowledge.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2011, 04:38:23 am »

I found this interview on Boing Boing very interesting and this nutritional discussion very tiresome.

I wonder how many are going to give DF due to recent events.  ::)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 25, 2011, 06:27:44 am »

A subset of excess caloric intake is sugar distribution.  This is really contentious, and poorly supported.  But in any case, "natural" sugars don't seem any better than "unnatural" sugars.  The fructose that comes from honey is just as bad as the fructose that comes from HFCS, if fructose actually is worse than glucose.
Fructose is better because: 1. It has a higher glycemic index, making it sweeter-per-gram. 2. It leads to less sugar-spiking than glucose, because it has to be broken down first.
It is worse because there are now signs that too much fructose might lead to weird health problems, such as the strange "Metabolic syndrome" or "Syndrome X".
(From my SO, a dietician)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:56 am »

Awesome article. Thoroughly enjoyed it :D

Can the lot of you create a new thread? 19 Pages of mostly dietary talk. C'mon!
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2011, 09:04:28 am »

We really should do more to help new players, and spread the DF gospel. After all, every new player who stays is someone who might donate in the future, and Toady needs those donations for good old Doc. P.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:56 am »

Well, short term, greater interest cant be bad - media awareness, player numbers and so on. Long term? Just have foreboading that the DF project will become unsustainable in the longer term, and with too much awareness from the gaming industry comes greter pressure to take the money and run.

Why would it become unsustainable?

The only thing that could kill DF is a mainstream gaming company throwing a few hundred thousand dollars at duplicating it with a slick UI, but even then, half the charm of DF is the near-fractal detail of it, and writing that takes a certain kind of genius and love that they probably wouldn't be able to hire for such a project.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2011, 09:13:58 am »

We really should do more to help new players, and spread the DF gospel. After all, every new player who stays is someone who might donate in the future, and Toady needs those donations for good old Doc. P.
There's not much more we can do. We offer plentiful help to anyone who posts a thread like this, and we've got plenty of documentation set up to answer FAQs. The only problem is that not everybody makes it to the forums or wiki before they give up in complete confusion.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24