Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57237 times)

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:11 pm »

Hmm... If anyone lives in Toady's city/town/village, we could do every once in a while a donation of healthy food sorts to be delivered to his place. :p

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »

Hmm... If anyone lives in Toady's city/town/village, we could do every once in a while a donation of healthy food sorts to be delivered to his place. :p

With an anoymous message saying 'Losing is Fun'.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »

(response to derail removed)

Back on topic, does anyone know anything about the book with the detail about the Assyrians that was mentioned in the article? Is there anything on the forums about the books which Zach/Tarn read with ideas that eventually go into Dwarf Fortress?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:36:08 pm by Toady One »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

I removed the human trafficky derail.  Please treat people with respect!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2011, 05:37:09 pm »

I removed the human trafficky derail.  Please treat people with respect!

IT'S THE TOAD! RUN!
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2011, 06:10:42 pm »

Toady, please, you should really switch to tea.*

Start with some strong bag tea. If you need the sugar, you can put as much as you want in it – it should do the trick and it'll be a hundred times healthier. When you accommodate to the taste, start lowering the sugar dose with the ultimate goal of drinking no sugar. And when you're there, you can switch to tastier, better teas. Tea is actually quite a healthy thing.

You won't be doing this just for yourself, you'll be doing it for Dwarf Fortress too.

(* Or water. But tea is easier and tastier.)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Jalapeño Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2011, 06:14:59 pm »

5. Yeah, he drinks a lot of soda. So do lots of other people. As has been pointed out in the thread elsewhere, the health risks are being WAY over-exaggerated. And, most importantly here, the article does quote him stating that he's aware of the problem. (Again "He's a big boy, stop telling him how to live his life, he knows that it's a problem, and you would know that if you had actually read the article" disappointment)

Warren Buffet drinks something like 1-2 DOZEN cans of coca-cola a day, and has been for many years. He's 80.  Some people can clearly handle it (and benefit from it). I honestly think that doing what you enjoy and not being encumbered by societal norms is far more beneficial to health than not drinking soda.

"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2011, 06:17:19 pm »

-snip-

this text should be put in a frame and hung on a wall. And yes, there is no awe smiley.

I don't, however think that he has just one meal a day. I mean, that probably means he has one meal in a diner a day. Right? Right?...Oh come on! Any worst and the worlds most complex game will be created by a hobo...not that thats not awesomesauce but it does concern me.

I get by on 1-2 meals a day, and not terribly large ones at that. I live a sedentary life right now, so I can afford it.

Also, for folks upset about the soda-drinking thing, realize that sugar isn't innately unhealthy. It's a great source of caloric energy, which you burn off after intense brainwork. Heck, if your caloric intake is low, it'll probably be better for you than water in many ways.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »

Warren Buffet drinks something like 1-2 DOZEN cans of coca-cola a day, and has been for many years. He's 80.  Some people can clearly handle it (and benefit from it). I honestly think that doing what you enjoy and not being encumbered by societal norms is far more beneficial to health than not drinking soda.
I get by on 1-2 meals a day, and not terribly large ones at that. I live a sedentary life right now, so I can afford it.

Also, for folks upset about the soda-drinking thing, realize that sugar isn't innately unhealthy. It's a great source of caloric energy, which you burn off after intense brainwork. Heck, if your caloric intake is low, it'll probably be better for you than water in many ways.

Exactly! People are totally over reacting. The article doesn't even say how much he drinks! For all we know it's a perfectly reasonable amount.

Back on topic:
Ironic that Toady is lactose intolerant and his Dwarves are obsessed with cheese....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:26:46 pm by Man In Zero G »
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2011, 06:38:40 pm »

The only thing I can thing to say about the drinking derail is that it's entertaining that water is to Toady as water is to dwarves.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:56 pm »

Maybe this is why he spent so much time on the mechanics required to produce that sweet, sweet mead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2011, 07:11:12 pm »

Exactly! People are totally over reacting. The article doesn't even say how much he drinks! For all we know it's a perfectly reasonable amount.

Come on, guys.  HowManyStudiesLinkingDailySugarSweetenedBeveragesDoYouNeed?

And a one-person anecdote does not science make.  Smoking isn't guaranteed to give you cancer.  It only increases your risk dramatically.  Just because your uncle smoked till he was 108 doesn't mean you should do it.
At last, she is done.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »

Fascinating article. I think I need to do another donation, it's long overdue.

As for the sugar discussion: moderation is generally wise.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »

I'm troubled that my googling found none of those articles; I didn't think there was all that much research showing it definitively sickening, but was basing my view on repeated personal experience. Thanks, Graebeard.

Ok.. I don't see how the length of time you've followed the devlog has anything to do with what I'm saying - I've read it daily for years, but I still took the time to actually read the NYT article.
I'm shocked that people who clearly did not actually read the article are making a big deal about his lifestyle and making suggestions on how to change it - especially when it comes to issues that are clearly addressed in the article as not actually a problem - and that so many people who did read the article do not have the reading retention to remember what it actually said before posting here. I'm shocked because the article had plenty of cool stuff in it that we could be talking about, but instead we have a 234 post thread mostly dedicated bitching about his diet and how messy his room is, or telling him how to live his life.
I thought we had a smarter, better educated, more polite population in this forum than the internet average. I honestly thought we were better than this - That's why I'm shocked.

Perhaps disappointed would have been a better choice of words.
(I was extremely confused by your post until I realized you were exaggerating, and overeacting to the overeactions. It's alright, as there's nothing extreme or corrupted about these things, and we'll talk it out pretty much regardless.)
 All the really important or cool parts of article are already woven into the dev-log, DF talks, FotF posts, and our very forum culture. When those of us who've been around for a while read them, we aren't learning anything new because it's almost a part of us and our ideals; we're varied of course, so it's not like everyone is a complete proponent of exactly what's written there, but we all know the direction. So we're really scanning for inconsistencies or things the author might have gotten wrong, and when we don't find those, some of us imagine them, or we stick to the things we weren't expecting. Like Toady's living habits. So, since our minds are so prepared to get stuck on this thing, we take it as a problem, and like engineers and builders, start trying to come up with ways to fix it. But they are still all just suggestions; Toady can ignore them or pick and choose as he wishes just like with the question-suggests of the FotF thread.
 So, just in case he does just happen to pick something we've suggested, we want to embelish on those suggestions, and show we know what we're talking about.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:52:54 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »

Loved the article. It is hopeful and inspiring that there are artists out there like Tarn and Zach. Without people like them, we might not even realize how shallow and exploitative the gaming industry is in contrast. I know that their story will inspire others with talent and determination to create games with dignity and integrity. Gaming shouldn't be an embarrassing hobby.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24