Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57292 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2011, 03:00:54 am »

I have a Coca Cola addiction.  I wish I hadn't. When I were offered a job in the middle of the West African jungle my first concern was if I could get Coca Cola there.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2011, 03:01:03 am »

It's caffeine dependency. It's entirely common and not really harmful to one's health in the least. It's no different than somebody who needs that cup of coffee in the morning to get going. As far as the "one-meal-a-day rule" he follows, there's support out there for it being a viable eating pattern with distinct health benefits, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

The soda is the only thing I worry about.  Caffeine is alright, as you say, but there are far worse things in soda.  It's seriously unhealthy.

How seriously? Last I checked, the soda drinking population wasn't dropping dead. My heart is still beating.

2,600,000 ammericans die from heart problems each year.

I've cut out almost all the soda I consume (maybe 12 fl. oz a day, tops) in favor of good, clean water.  So, I clearly agree it's a healthier option than soda.  Having said that, your cited fact is a tad misleading: of those millions, how many die from high cholesterol, or heart disease?  How many have genetic histories that predisposed them to heart maladies?

I'm just saying, there are stronger arguments for why soda is unhealthy than that.  Personally, I think Toady's health is a matter to be discussed and handled by himself, his doctor, and his family.  I personally think it's inappropriate for us, as supportive fans but ultimately strangers or acquaintances at best (for the most part), to be more involved than that.  Just my opinion though.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2011, 03:25:49 am »

I have a Coca Cola addiction.  I wish I hadn't. When I were offered a job in the middle of the West African jungle my first concern was if I could get Coca Cola there.
Again; stop drinking it slowly by replacing a little of the soda you would have drunk in a day with a better drink. Juices, teas, water, or even sugar water; just make sure that it's not carbonated or with chemicals of dubious health effects (which are up to you, just make sure they match with your body and lifestyle). I don't consume anything with enough artificial dye to stain or anything with ingredients I don't know very well, but I've learned that compared to "normal people" I'm sensitive to anything even slightly disruptive.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2011, 03:27:09 am »

I'm not going to go about digging up a ton of information.  It's out there if you care.  I'll just say that a couple cans a week won't do much to you, but using it as a major component of your diet will have drastic effects on your health.

And I'm not trying to preach to Toady or stir up a storm about his health.  He was quoted in the article as saying that he knows it's unhealthy, after all.  I just don't like to see people saying otherwise, and I don't think there's anything wrong with dropping a sidenote of concern, either.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:29:57 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Boogaloo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2011, 03:49:12 am »

Long time player (now turned mostly dev-page reader) here. On a hopefully more uplifting note than Toady's apparently impending soda-fueled early death, I donated for the first time after reading the article. It really opened my eyes to the human side of the development process, and I'm glad Toady seems happy with how things are going. I figure if I help one stand-up guy live his dream, then that's a cause worth supporting.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2011, 04:29:54 am »

Good read, and good to see Dwarf Fortress being given some recognition.  :D

't was good reading about how you think about the current state of mainstream game development as I totally agree, rather then putting imagination and love in their game, todays developers are more into studies on human bahavior and using it to create addictive game features, wich are usually unfun, given how much time goes to the latter that could be going to the former.
I didn't quite need to know all the details of your private life though.  ???

Anyway good read, but now I'm a little sadened after reading the part where you admit the unfortunate fact that a game like Dwarf Fortress will never be appreciated on large scale.
Given that knowledge I hugely admire the determination you two put into making this game, because I think everyone will agree here that this game is fucking awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2011, 04:33:18 am »

While DF may never hit mainstream commercial success, as much as your halos and your calls of dutys and what have you, it is a master work among game developers. They will look upon this work with awe, and aspire to game something to compare to. Dwarf fortress has done the hardest, and greatest thing it could do, and that is to show everybody how it is done.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2011, 06:09:27 am »

Let us not be slaves to when the sun rises!

What are you talking about? We are all but slaves to the rising sun.
It's so bright we are forced to take cover and/or sleep.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2011, 06:09:32 am »

<---- Is entirely addicted to Soda, considering switching over to 5 hour energy shots instead.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2011, 06:26:37 am »

Let us not be slaves to when the sun rises!

What are you talking about? We are all but slaves to the rising sun.
It's so bright we are forced to take cover and/or sleep.
Touche.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2011, 06:29:20 am »

Again; stop drinking it slowly by replacing a little of the soda you would have drunk in a day with a better drink. Juices, teas, water, or even sugar water; just make sure that it's not carbonated or with chemicals of dubious health effects (which are up to you, just make sure they match with your body and lifestyle). I don't consume anything with enough artificial dye to stain or anything with ingredients I don't know very well, but I've learned that compared to "normal people" I'm sensitive to anything even slightly disruptive.

I reduced it a lot - from about two liters a day to two (at most three) cans a day.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2011, 07:20:47 am »

I'm just saying, there are stronger arguments for why soda is unhealthy than that.  Personally, I think Toady's health is a matter to be discussed and handled by himself, his doctor, and his family.  I personally think it's inappropriate for us, as supportive fans but ultimately strangers or acquaintances at best (for the most part), to be more involved than that.  Just my opinion though.
BUT WHAT IF HE DOESNT HAVE A DOCTOR!?!?!?!?

Wait, I'l give him mine. Heres what he thinks about this argument.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:22:25 am by antymattar »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:59 am »

I am a strong supporter of any plan that involves vast amounts of tea.

Seconded! Tea is awesome.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:28 am »

Pfft soda addiction is fine!  I also maybe had one glass of water in a month and got all my hydration from Dr Pepper and I'm as healthy as a horse!  I went through 7 cans in a day and a half.  Hell I think my Bay 12 champions thing still says "Needs Dr Pepper to get through the working day."

*cough cough cough hack* oops need more Dr Pepper *sips* ahhhh....

But yea, drinking all this soda can't be good for either of us, but I can't tell Toady to stop, because I haven't cut down myself.  Good to see the one meal a day thing isn't as unhealthy as my co-workers insist it is though.  Maybe it all evens out.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:04:00 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2011, 10:14:56 am »

Quote from: Jelle
Anyway good read, but now I'm a little sadened after reading the part where you admit the unfortunate fact that a game like Dwarf Fortress will never be appreciated on large scale.
Given that knowledge I hugely admire the determination you two put into making this game, because I think everyone will agree here that this game is fucking awesome.
Sums up my feelings pretty well; fair play to Tarn and Zach for doing what they love. I hope that I end up doing something similar with my life, something that just feels ''right''.

Also: am I the only one here who doesn't drink either tea or coffee?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24