Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 58873 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2011, 07:55:05 am »

Bah! We already have ruffians on our forum! This one here is without even the slightest knowledge of properly dealing with a corpse. Why, he would surely collapse unconscious from the everpresent fumes of decay, and the body would be ruined for the purposes of medicine, science, and necromancy.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2011, 08:14:12 am »

Bah! We already have ruffians on our forum! This one here is without even the slightest knowledge of properly dealing with a corpse. Why, he would surely collapse unconscious from the everpresent fumes of decay, and the body would be ruined for the purposes of medicine, science, and necromancy.

Put it in the corpse stockpile.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2011, 10:07:09 am »

Found the NYC DF article on boing boing ! I suspect thousands of new DF player will follow very soon.
Very interesting, I hope this will work out good for you, Tarn & Zach  :D
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12:38 am »

I'm just amazed how the NYT even got a hold of DF. I didn't expect any media comapny this big to make an article about it.

(inflammatory image removed)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:26:48 pm by Toady One »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2011, 11:31:18 am »

I wouldn't be so sure about the "roguelike uninitiated whiner" wave that everyone says is coming. Really, how many 12-18 year olds read the NYT? Any sizable wave of them will probably come from gaming sites that mention the article.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2011, 12:25:57 pm »

I'm just wondering, though.
Is it some marketing plan with `going public' part included ?

I mean, DF meeting, a newspaper article, being a part of some exhibition. It's just stacking up all of a sudden.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2011, 12:31:05 pm »

I'm just wondering, though.
Is it some marketing plan with `going public' part included ?

I mean, DF meeting, a newspaper article, being a part of some exhibition. It's just stacking up all of a sudden.
No, it's just Dwarf Fortress's awesomeness leaking out of the internet.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2011, 12:44:53 pm »

Probably the closest thing to them all being related would probably be the times doing the article because of the museum thing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it was all coincidence.

I am kinda curious if the dude was there before or after the meetup though.  Probably enough room for him to have scheduled it for after the meetup, but it takes time to write an article and that seems to cut it close.  Maybe he was the stuff mentioned in the 10th and 11th devlogs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »

Seriously, congratulations to Tarn and Zach, I could not be happier for you folks. I'm going to show this article to my wife, she just can't understand why I love DF so damn much.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2011, 01:30:53 pm »

Hooray to Tarn and Zach for the great article! :)
Follow your dreams...

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2011, 02:35:31 pm »

It was interesting to read. It's good that this game gets more famous over time. What stuck me most apart from Toady One's eating and sleeping habits is his approach to relationships. It is similar to my own. The article should at least mention that there are tile-sets, mods and third party tools for DF.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

susancreature

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2011, 02:37:12 pm »

Wonderful article - I have always loved DF and admired the passion in it, but now I respect the mindset of the people creating it.  Thank you for being true to doing what you love and having the faith that your fans will support you on it.   We appreciate it :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2011, 03:30:02 pm »

Put out the welcome mat, and brew up some iced tea. Shit is about to get neighborly.

Hello new sig.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

New blood incoming, oh the innocence that shall no doubt be lost.. .

Jack Dandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2011, 04:03:51 pm »

Very cool article! Nice to see even the NYT were interested in DF.

Although,  I'm very worried about Toady's drinking and health habits. Currently, they're a recipe for disaster.

I don't want him to get sick, or worse.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24