Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?  (Read 5591 times)

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »

Are you guys kidding?

Do you remember how it used to be? All you ever saw was wolves during adventure mode. MAYBE a bandit or two. Night, day, winter/summer, nothing mattered to what you saw.

Now? People actually pay attention to the sun, and it forces you to adapt to the world (until you get to god-level stats) I personally think that it is a lot more fun and exciting knowing that you have to keep your companions alive during a bandit camp fight so that you don't get horribly raped by bogeys on your way back to town. It adds more depth and thought to the game, and that is ALWAYS a good thing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Stelknecht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 10:15:44 pm »

Love OOTS!
Oh, and boogeymen are dull. Any variety would spice up being rudely awakened... a vampire at your throat, a werewolf trying to steal your socks to chew in privacy, a troll clonking your brains out.
I do appreciate the placeholder they occupy tho, a night attack is exciting (until one punches my brain through my helm and 4 caps).
Urist McHauler cancels hauling-irradiated by nuke!
UristMcHauler cancels rest-mutating!
UristMcHauler has become a legendary mutant!
Urist McHauler has founded the X-Dwarves!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 05:00:48 am »

I wonder if in the next patch Toady would give unique species to night monsters.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 05:52:06 am »

I wonder if in the next patch Toady would give unique species to night monsters.
As i understood from his talks, the bogeymen will always stay here. And i like them myself.
My only complaints are that they don't really respect victim's solitude to appear. I noticed several times bogeymen attacking fortress guards or even raiding villages and this obviously shouldn't happen.
I think it should never happen at all that 2 persons see the same bogeyman in the same time. I like the idea that they are really just your imagination.

Maybe world just will not be so awfully boring without them after other night creatures and more bandits and bounty hunters are added.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 08:53:04 am »

Maybe world just will not be so awfully boring without them after other night creatures and more bandits and bounty hunters are added.

Or at least the paid assassin who wants to kill you...

Anyway, Toady stated that there would be vampires (?) or other mythic creatures included in the coming patches. Can't wait to rip their teeth out...I hate vampires.

And the good thing that all bogeymen have is their relative size, you charge and run.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2011, 03:03:19 pm »

Another interesting tip for anyone bothered by the Bogey jump/dodge ability, carry a spear as well as a slashing weapon. If you can manage to stick a spear into them they can't dodge and you can go to town on them with slashing weapons.

This is the main reason I love playing Spearmen in adventure mode. My go-to tactic against fast enemies was to stick them in the torso with the spear so they're pulled close, then cave their skull in with my shield. Instant kills left and right, and a practical use for the elusive Misc. Object User skill to boot.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 07:23:01 am »

I like bogeymen...For breakfast!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 01:05:33 am »

I do find bogeymen annoying and gimmicky. I definitely like the idea of having a reason to be scared of the dark, but I really wish the chances of being attacked by anything on a given day or night were toned down significantly, especially when there are new monsters around to worry about, like were-finches... You wouldn't want to be ambushed 3-4 times in a 24 hour period, or even 2-3, it would just get tedious and gimmicky to wade through a veritable sea of hostiles every single day.
Another chance for improvement would be to make them far, far less capable of causing serious injury, and base their interactions with sentient beings more around the idea of a prankster/mischievous spirit that tortures you more than anything. Perhaps even letting them curse you during an encounter, so those individuals that 'mark' or 'curse' you have a chance to appear to you any time you're alone or in small groups, causing more trouble, and cannot be permanently dealt with except with an exorcism of some sort, or appeasing them in some way.
If they were rarer and have more tricks than just shoving your cerebrum into your brain stem, they'd be more fun, and possibly still just as Fun if they could steal bits of gear and hide it far outside your camp, or if there is some sort of climax their pranks can reach, such as driving your adventurer completely mad, forcing you to lose control of them and ending the adventure.

I definitely agree with the notion of creating temporary camp sites, like a fire and tent for yourself and each companion, which definitively keeps bogeymen and some night creatures away, but mildly increases the chance of being spotted and stalked/tracked and possibly ambushed (either after stalking you for some time or immediately) by other enemies.

TL;DR: I do facepalm at them. It is a good idea, but I feel they were poorly implemented. Here is a suggestion that may make it more interesting: (Read the post dangit!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:07:25 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 04:36:57 am »

Good thing its in Alpha stage, I get the feeling we're going to have more fun at night in the future patches.

Note to creator of thread: Everyone who has tried Adventure mode has facepalmed at bogeymen, one way or the other.   :P

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 04:55:28 pm »

Thing is, depending on how worldgen goes, you may HAVE to travel long distances with no towns to get to a new town to get quests and such.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 06:21:20 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:41:44 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »

I have to agree that this feature has not added to the enjoyment of Adventure Mode for me. It's not like the wilderness was benign before; now it's unsurvivable without companions.

Do you wonder why most of the heroes in books have companions? This is one of the reasons why.  ;)

Only thing is, I don't think they are finite in number. I've killed swarms of them...Endless grey masses...

No I've slaughtered my way through a horde of them before. There are a lot, but if you kill enough of them eventually they run in fear.

Of course I was experimenting with mods when I did this, so I don't know how awesome you'd need to be in normal mode to achieve this feat.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 02:01:09 am »

My legendary lasher, killer of hundreds peasnats and soldiers, felt to their annoying attacks. He wasn't able to kill even one of them. And they punch right through iron armor.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 04:46:34 am »

My legendary lasher, killer of hundreds peasnats and soldiers, felt to their annoying attacks. He wasn't able to kill even one of them. And they punch right through iron armor.
Even the boldest of adventurers have gotten punched straight in the head with even the hardest of armor to their protection. This goes to show the rule of who strikes first...

And I guess thats hard coded, but they aren't armed mostly so you get bruising in the first few bits.

Assara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:55 am »

Personnaly, my legendary spearman never got problems with the bogeymen.
Even if she lost a tooth because of them.

The only time I had problems with bogeymen was when I played a kobold assassin. At that time, I didn't know that bogeymen existed so I kept sleeping outside at night. Then, I checked the Wiki and learnt about the existence of those grey things. The next night :
"You are surrounded by incessant cackling"
A short while after, they ate my brain   :'(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4