Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?  (Read 5596 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »

I have to agree that this feature has not added to the enjoyment of Adventure Mode for me. It's not like the wilderness was benign before; now it's unsurvivable without companions.

Do you wonder why most of the heroes in books have companions? This is one of the reasons why.  ;)

Only thing is, I don't think they are finite in number. I've killed swarms of them...Endless grey masses...

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 08:01:40 pm »

is there anyway to control where they spawn?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »

Nah they just pop up a good 5 tile radius from the adventurer.
which I guess is the length of the vision at night.
They more so just spawn than run up to you which is I guess why there no bogeymen in legends mode they only spawn when an adventurer in the crackling though one could exploit this if they revive one as a zombie causing it to be still crackling hour and do so in the daytime which will cause many bogies to spawn then quickly die due to being out in sun light.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 07:23:21 am »

If i play Adventure, i started to generate the World without Night Creatures. I Know some may say thats lame etc. but i just cant enjoy Adventure Mode with those Boogeys all around, and in my opinion everyone should play the game in a way he enjoys it. So if they piss you off you could jsut do the same as me.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Sugata-senpai

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anime Watcher+3 Legendary Manga Reader+5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 10:29:22 am »

I've never really had much trouble with bogeymen, I've died plenty of times to them, but most of them were early in my adventuring career, before I had any real skills.

I've found that as long as I avoid fighting more than one at once, I can often slowly kill them all, and that once I reach legendary in my weapon, and all high master or higher in my defensive skills, I can usually just run up and chop them up.

is there anyway to control where they spawn?

The only real control on them is that they don't seem to spawn far away from civilization.

*Disclaimer, poster maintains no responsibility if this information if found to be untrue. This disclaimer voids any and all atttempts to sue poster for this potentially false information.
Me: I'll kill you... I'll kill you all!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!...

UristMcRandomNurse: Sir, patient 137 is laughing maniacially again.

UristMcDoctor: Don't worry, if we just ignore him he'll calm down and go back to playing Dwarf Fortress.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:54:05 pm »

Bogeymen themselves aren't interesting.  It's the threat of them that's interesting; just moving from town to town becomes challenging were it otherwise would have been boring.

I played dozens of games before I ever saw a bogeyman, but they've had a huge effect on how I play, because I know they'll kick my ass if I don't find shelter before nightfall.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:57:14 pm »

My main gripe with bogeymen is that they can punch through iron plate armor with no problems.... I mean it's not like they're made of steel is it?

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 07:58:17 pm »

i've been playing genesis (i couldn't get deon's to work so i think i'm using tomitopi's [or whatever his name is] version) and all the night creatures are powered down.... not so that they are a joke to any adventurer, but a demigod can easily fend off 5-8 boogeymen on a nightly basis. a hero adventurer can go toe to toe with your average freak bride also.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:09 pm »

once you've got a decent advanture going, going alone, is np, had a peasant adventure fighting them as training.
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 08:34:16 pm »

My main gripe with bogeymen is that they can punch through iron plate armor with no problems.... I mean it's not like they're made of steel is it?

Aren't they smoke or something at least partially incorporeal?

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:15 am »

Aren't they smoke or something at least partially incorporeal?

Yeah well, I guess that could be an acceptable reason.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:55 am »

I find bogeys more annoying than anything. My first encounter with them was making an adventurer who had low speed for some reason or other, and he was moving along the country to get to a city when he was jumped. I tried to run, took one step, and they moved so fast compared to me that I was quickly engulfed by the tide and killed in under three steps.

Then I got companions with my next adventurer, who mysteriously disappeared in the night for no reason, and the same thing happened.

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 03:55:36 pm »

the key to beating bogeymen is speed and charging.
bogeymen seem to be very small, even as a dwarf its easy to knock them over.
if your adventurer is strong enough, he will slice bogeymen in half with no trouble.
atleast, if you can attack first. bogeymen strikes seem to completly ignore armor, but shields still work.

if you're not strong enough to take them head on: charge one, then run. his buddies will often trip over the fallen bogeyman, making it easier to escape.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »

^ Note that bogeymen will always harass and chase you, using smoke bombs to rapidly transport themselves close to you.

Fear the night, bring a shield.

And do not forget to bring that peasant for stories to keep your imagination from getting the better of you.

I guess that is why they never appear when you even have 1 ally, maybe it is just all your imagination...

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 07:34:15 pm »

Yeah I'm not a fan either. I'd be cool with it if it happened in evil areas though, but camping in a town for the night isn't an option because of these pricks. Once hunger and thirst get sorted out though, there shouldn't be a need for them anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4