Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?  (Read 5598 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:46 pm »

Well do you? I know that they are a killer at the start, but later they just turn into an annoyance. I have lost plenty of adventurers to bogeymen and it pissed me off. Because if I die can it at least be by a dragon please? Instead it's bed-intruder bogeymen coming in to my camp and snatching me up (by the throat) and killing me. Does anyone know why toady added them? I mean this honestly I am new to DF and would like to hear a reason.     

TLDR: Why did toady add bogeymen and does anyone else get annoyed at them?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else facepalm at bogeymen?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:12 pm »

Fear the night.

The point is for you to seek shelter during the night, and to not just wander around in the wilderness, invulnerable to all threats.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:45:20 am »

I find the "fear the night" aspect of them quite nice, and the early-game trip planning (can I get back from that camp or not?) is a fun aspect of the game.

The execution of bogeymen feels a bit gimmicky, though. Just uninteresting, unending grey masses that come at you. You either just run, run, run or you die. It feels a bit too much like a "you step into the fire you lose 5 hp/sec" event for dwarf fortress.
I think some variation in the night monstrosities (and what they do, after all "the bogeyman bites you in the right hand, bruising the muscle; you break the grip of the bogeyman" x 9001 is just annoying) could make succumbing to the night's cold embrace more ``fun`` as opposed to just plain getting killed and losing.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:46:25 am »

And thats why you keep companions with you!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:14 am »

Bogeymen definitely need to be simply replaced with more frequent ambushes by night creatures, or something.
If my adventurers were all getting murdered by a certain, feared monster, living for ages in a cave before coming out to eat foolish travellers wandering in the dark, then that'd be awesome, and that would add to the story!
As it is with bogeymen, faceless, non-legendary creatures, I just savescum if they kill me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:57 am »

Sure you can have companions but if you find yourself asleep outside anyway it's more than likely that a bandit ambush is gonna drop by and ruin your day. I hate it when i get a high level quest to say...kill a dragon and i go to do it but !!OH NOES!!, it's in the middle of nowhere no problem i have 12 companions bogeymen cant touch me. Yeah but those goblin bandits sure can. See what I'm saying ranting?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:52:54 am »

Get companinons , take them down one by one (there lower body is very very easy to cut off) or seek shelther during night (cave, maze , house , etc etc)
Desu

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:32:01 am »

I had to generate a new world to adventure in because I couldn't gain the fame required to acquire companions without traveling more than a day away from town to slay the target.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:38:44 am »

It would help if you had the ability to make fire in Adventure mode that wasn't setting a tree on fire and letting it spread in a wide circle. Anyway, night arrives, set up camp and fire, as long as there's light from the fire present the bogeymen can't get to you. They'd be perfectly fine circling around your spot and trying to snatch you if you get to the edge of the light.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:54:49 am »

I find the bogeymen great instant army makers if you set it up where you revive them all as zombies in the daylight which then turns them into
smoke monsters that will crit any one foolish enough to attack them. Nothing say Evil than having a looming cloud of death as a posse.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:33:45 am »

Bogeymen, I hate them, that is why I chopped one of their heads off and stowed it away in my pack to remind me of how much I hate them.

Die to light, turn to ash. Smoke and fire they shall not touch.

I guess bogeymen were meant as challenges (albeit very annoying) to high level indestructible adventurers as they could one-hit your brain out.

But I still ask myself why as I stare into those dark, eyeless slits as I could easily go deep into the earth and pull the ____________  ;)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:30:53 am »

Bogeys aren't all that dangerous if you keep your wits about, which translates to not running directly into a huge group of them. If you have a mid-high speed, then you can run in circles around the group, and once a bogey gets ahead of the others, charge its ass flat. They're much less threatening when they're prone, and also much less likely to dodge. Then it's just a matter of cutting their puny little limbs/heads/bodies off. But, if the others catch up, leg it. They aren't so much bogeymen as roid rage monsters.

Also, i've found that dorfs have a huge advantage over the other races in this respect: martial trances. Get one, and you'll fuck the bogeys up royally.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:22:32 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:37:08 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:57:52 am »

Martial trance makes a huge difference due to the whole "You miss the bogeyman despite the fact that the strike was a simple strike and very square. x90000" bullshit caused by their size as far as I can tell.

Another interesting tip for anyone bothered by the Bogey jump/dodge ability, carry a spear as well as a slashing weapon. If you can manage to stick a spear into them they can't dodge and you can go to town on them with slashing weapons (which don't tend to get stuck as often).

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:51:49 pm »

I have to agree that this feature has not added to the enjoyment of Adventure Mode for me. It's not like the wilderness was benign before; now it's unsurvivable without companions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4