Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75521 times)

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 2: 10/14]
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2011, 12:17:48 pm »

Now after rereading D1 i could easily say that was the most unproductive first mafia day i read up to this time. And with the whole bastard bussines that obfuscated every single serious attempt at scumhunting it makes me feel like we wasted it completely.

Dariush your D1 play consisted of slight rolefishing,meta-theories and you start this day with semi-random vote. How long do you want to prolong this type of play ? Do you even have some suspects at this point ?

Urist: I still don't understand how asking two questions on the same topic is scummy... Unless that's not the core argument in your case agains me ? Or your just bad at playing as Lyncher ? D1 you were pretty consistent about going after me but you never voted even when you were claiming you have no other leads, that's bit suspicious don't you think ?

Think0028: i have no idea how you did that but you managed to go trough D1 with nothing but one notable post in which you just go with the max voting trend. I understand that you could be suspicious of him but why you did completely nothing else D1 ?

Jim Groovester: I belive you are our SK. That's all.

Nuke9.13: Why you chosen Think if you have no leads ?

Simple

I'm still standing by my case from yesterday for now, though I'm definitely curious about what's going on today.
So despite of today events you will not change the vote ? What makes you so sure nothing will change your decision ?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 13/14]
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2011, 01:06:37 pm »

What are you getting at? How is this a reason to suspect somebody, especially in a bastard game?
She votes LNCP, sees it doesn't work... and immediatly switches to Inquisitor, which doesn't work either. I want to see her explanation why she didn't make a real vote. Consider it a pressure vote.

But why her instead of a bunch of other people who voted non-lynchable entities?

And why do I feel like you only voted Flandre because Toaster voted her?
Actually, that's wrong. Or are you implying that I attempted to jump on a bandwagon (with an entirely different reason)... consisting of a whopping one vote?

That's exactly what I'm implying.

Hypocrisy is when you berate someone for doing something, then doing that same thing yourself. In mafia, it can be a scumtell.

Hypocrisy is not a scumtell. It just makes you a hypocrite.

Jim Groovester: I belive you are our SK. That's all.

Cool story.

You can't just throw that out there without saying why.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »

Nuke:  Does getting stomped flat sound like a vigilante to you?
Not really, but it sounds better than getting blown up in a demonic ritual.
It could be a vigilante. Just because someone is very big doesn't necessarily mean they are evil. Its probably a SK, though.

In this situation, I berated you for voting for a stupid reason. I then voted for a sensible reason.
Voting someone for not posting full flavor is sensible reason?
In this situation, you removed the actual reason for me voting Think, thereby making it seem like I said that I had no better leads than OMGUS'ing him.
I read your reason, deemed it un-sensible and saw no need to include it in my response. I wasn't even aware Think was voting you when I made that post. However, now that you bring it up... You really did OMGUS him with a ridiculously weak reasoning. It looks like you're desperately scraping every surface for future attack, and overdefend yourself while doing it.
Hmm hmm, hmm.
Wait a minute.
What do you mean, Not Posting Full Flavour? There's more? Well, that's not what Think said. I thought there probably was, but the way you phrase it, seems like you're quite certain.
Almost as if... you know there's more.
Say, would you mind terribly reminding/telling me what your flavour is?

-Sensible? Yes, yes it is. It has been stated by the mod that analysing flavour is important. Everyone got a couple of things. Presumably, the witches got a couple of things too. Except most of them were about the witchey things they do. And only, say, their day job (baker?), was suitable for revealing to everyone. Hence, people who only reveal one thing are suspicious.

-Ok, so, you just admitted to not reading my post properly:
I wasn't even aware Think was voting you when I made that post~Then why the FLAMING FUDGE would I say 'Not to OMGUS, but'
Which, you understand, makes your attack of me seem hasty and poorly-founded.

-Ah. Overdefending. Accusation of last resort for weak attacks. However, a word of advice:
OVERDEFENDING.
IS.
A FALLACY.
'Overdefending' is not a scumtell. Being able to explain your actions in meticulous detail just means that you had a good reason for performing said actions. Pre-emptively explaining your actions saves people time. If the action has no reason/a stupid reason, it cannot be explained.

Nuke9.13: Why you chosen Think if you have no leads ?
Here we see a victim of selective editing. What Dariush could have quoted, if disinclined towards bullshit:
Jim: My PM talks about my bakery and not much else, unfortunately.
Really? Not to question you, but, well, I question this. Everyone else has had at least a few random background things aside from their profession. A hobby, a rumour heard about witches. Frankly, I consider your PM containing nothing other than "you're a boring baker" so unlikely as to consider it suspicious to state that this is the case.
Are you absolutely sure you don't have some hobby or rumour? You don't read books or invest in coffee? Your character was totally uninterested in the rumours of witches that permeated the countryside?
Not to OMGUS, but I have no better leads than this, so, Think0028
See, I did have a lead. Not that Think voted for me, but that think claimed to have an exceptionally bare role PM. This is not an especially damning piece of evidence, but enough, I felt, to vote for Think until he explained this stunning lack of flavour.

Hypocrisy is when you berate someone for doing something, then doing that same thing yourself. In mafia, it can be a scumtell.
Hypocrisy is not a scumtell. It just makes you a hypocrite.
I pose that a town player has no reason not to play by his own best judgement; scum may be inclined to accuse people of things they consider acceptable behaviour just to get mislynches.
Long Live United Forenia!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2011, 02:47:18 pm »

I actually have an evening to myself, now. Yay! There is much catching up to do, and I will post shortly.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »

Votecount

Think0028  - 1 -  NUKE9.13,
Toaster  - 0 - 
Dariush  - 2 -  Jim Groovester, Simple,
Pandarsenic  - 0 - 
NUKE9.13  - 1 -  Think0028,
Urist_McArathos  - 0 - 
IronyOwl  - 0 - 
Flandre  - 1 -  Dariush,
Simple  - 2 -  Urist_McArathos, Toaster,
Jim Groovester  - 0 - 
-
Not Voting  - 3 -  Pandarsenic, Flandre, IronyOwl,
No Lynch  - 0 - 
-
Extend  - 1 -  Pandarsenic,
Shorten  - 0 - 

The Day will end Friday, 9PM GMT.

You need 4 players to Extend and 6 players to Shorten.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:36:16 am by lordnincompoop »

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »

Simple: I was flailing for leads D1 and hoping I could eventually get a rise out of someone, but I really had nothing to go on until Max.

NUKE9.13: You're voting me because my PM wasn't informative enough for you? How do I respond to that, 'oh, woops, didn't notice this part of my PM, here's some more info!'? I'm a baker, plain and simple. I make bread, I sell bread, it's a good life.

Quote from: NUKE9.13
Not that Think voted for me, but that think claimed to have an exceptionally bare role PM. This is not an especially damning piece of evidence, but enough, I felt, to vote for Think until he explained this stunning lack of flavour.

How does my PM only talking about baking mean a 'stunning lack of flavour'? Not to overly praise LNCP, but it's a good piece of writing about the life of a baker. I just don't happen to have any magical information that you seem to think everyone should have. My hobby is baking bread. I didn't hear anything about witches beforehand. I'm focused on my work.

What are you even trying to get out of this? It sounds like you're expecting an answer out of me, but I don't see what answer I could possibly give you, bar lying about my PM to come up with information that isn't there.

I also disagree with you about overdefending and preemptive defense, they both seem like scumtells from my limited experience.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »

Everyone asking me questions

I am at work until 9, and the recent flurry of activity requires more than a hurried phone post.  I will reply tonight.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 13/14]
« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:37 pm »

Because obviously riding one failed bastardwagon is not enough, right, Flandre?

Dariush: I see nothing wrong with making unorthodox votes at non-player entities, even if I was not the one who came up with the idea. I agree that these were bandwagons, and that I have jumped aboard the both of them, but it is not quite the same as voting to lynch another player on borrowed evidence. The worst that could have happened in the latter case (for example) was the lynching of an inquisitor townie, but a breakthrough like that would have been invaluable regardless.

This is very silly. Very, very silly. Are you messing around, figuring that we are still in RVS and things need shaking up, or do you know something about flandre? Because I refuse to believe that you seriously think this is a good enough reason to vote for someone.
NUKE: I don't think that it was that silly. He was probably looking for something to attack, and my bandwagon-hopping was the shiniest. I almost can't really blame him, because most of D1 was unspectacular and dull by comparison. Are you suggesting that I was bussed?

Hmm hmm, hmm.
Wait a minute.
What do you mean, Not Posting Full Flavour? There's more? Well, that's not what Think said. I thought there probably was, but the way you phrase it, seems like you're quite certain.
Almost as if... you know there's more.
This is a stretch. Withholding everything that did not involve being a baker would qualify as 'not posting full flavor'. Or am I missing something?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »

-Ah. Overdefending. Accusation of last resort for weak attacks. However, a word of advice:
OVERDEFENDING.
IS.
A FALLACY.
'Overdefending' is not a scumtell. Being able to explain your actions in meticulous detail just means that you had a good reason for performing said actions. Pre-emptively explaining your actions saves people time. If the action has no reason/a stupid reason, it cannot be explained.

'Overdefending,' or incredibly reactionary defenses, is a scumtell.

You actually seem pretty reactionary about Dariush's comments towards you, especially if you're going to shout about how something you're doing isn't a scumtell (which it totally is by the way). Why are you getting so hostile about it?

I pose that a town player has no reason not to play by his own best judgement; scum may be inclined to accuse people of things they consider acceptable behaviour just to get mislynches.

I have no idea what you're talking about but I don't really care enough to ask further.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2011, 07:05:42 pm »

NUKE9.13, what exactly would get your vote off of Think? It seems like you're putting him in a situation where he can't win in regards to freeing himself of your suspicions.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2011, 09:02:25 pm »

Simple:  Did you know continued focus on third parties is a scum tell?  Some new scum don't quite get the art of acting town, so they go after those that both town and scum distrust- third parties.

Nuke:  You really think that about there being no such thing as overdefensiveness?  What kind of reaction to an accusation would you consider scummy, then?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:08 pm »

Urist: I still don't understand how asking two questions on the same topic is scummy... Unless that's not the core argument in your case agains me ? Or your just bad at playing as Lyncher ? D1 you were pretty consistent about going after me but you never voted even when you were claiming you have no other leads, that's bit suspicious don't you think ?

I felt your narrow interest in discussing the cop was useless at finding scum and very odd.  I then felt you were highly reactionary and defensive when I pressed the issue, far more so than you needed to be.  I based my vote on the fact that you seemed: overly defensive, passive (I felt your play was meant more to look busy than find scum), and overly interested in special roles and how they would behave.  I also didn't like how you were twisting what I said into strawman arguments, kind of like you've done TWICE already today.  I never said asking the same question twice was scummy, I asked why you were so interested in cop behavior (rolefishing for a cop IS scummy, FYI).  I also NEVER said nothing happening today would change my mind, or my vote.  Stop with the strawman arguments, you're pissing me off.

As for not voting, that's patently false.  I was voting you, well before day's end for that matter.  You even responded to that vote, AND quoted me.  I resumed my vote immediately when I could post on Day 2 because nothing really had happened yet, and therefore I was just as suspicious as you at the outset of day 2 as I was at day 1 close (to answer your other strawman question, THAT is why I resumed my vote; because it would make no fucking sense to vote for someone else when nothing had happened yet to clear you, would it?).  I agree that if I hadn't voted for you at all, despite claiming you were my only suspect, it would be odd.  As that did not happen, however, I feel my behavior was normal for trying to find a scum on a rather pathetic Day 1 overall.

I feel I have a much better suspect now, though.  You're number two on my list, mostly because you won't stop twisting my words.  It's a tad scummy for my tastes, and it's really getting on my nerves.  Watch your ass.  Unvote

Dariush: I felt you hadn't been too active as Day 1 wore on; like you were fading into the background once it was clear we had other suspects.  I was prodding you by asking your suspects at that time.  I didn't think you were scummy at the moment, but I wanted to hear more from you since I felt you had been oddly silent.  Your activity today since my last post has shown me you're not lurking (at least not anymore if you were).  It's not really important now; when I asked it I felt very little had happened, so we were close enough to end of Day 1 as it is. 

However, seeing as Simple has also asked for your suspects, you could if you like.  As for me, I have another, new question I'd like answered instead, while we're on the topic:  Flandre was not the only person to vote for LNCP or the Inquisitor; I don't believe she was even the only one to vote for both.  Explain why you found her more suspicious than the others who tested this theory.

NUKE

First off, I argued (I think successfully) yesterday that if flavor contains leads to who might be witches, it's plausible it contains leads to who might be a cop, doctor, etc.  That means that describing full flavor should be done just as cautiously as role-claiming.  You can bet your ass a doctor or cop makes a prime target for a NK, and pushing someone to reveal information that could be VERY useful to scum for NK purposes is unwise, at best.  Maybe not everyone agrees with me, but I think it's scummy to continue to argue that everyone should reveal all they have in their backstory "to help the town".  Would you pressure a cop or doctor to claim as soon as possible?  No, because then you've got the best targets out in the open where the scum can get them.  Don't use some BS about "Town have nothing to hide" to pressure people, because they damn well might have something to hide (from the SCUM), and I'd rather not get a power role lynched because you were too thick to understand why it was a bad idea for them to keep it a secret.  So, considering you've now harassed TWO people for their background info (which might contain critical pro-town secrets), I'm really not liking your investigation so far.  Don't act like this angle is unreasonable either: you logically deduced witches might have tells to their role in their PM, so you know it's pretty sound for a cop or doctor to as well.  Pressing people to reveal most or all of their PM details is EXACTLY the same in that case as pressing them to claim their role.  It's called rolefishing, NUKE, and it's scummy as all get-out.OV

I also don't like how quickly you changed your tune.  In the SAME DAMN POST, you state you  "don't really have any suspicions", then immediately vote Think.  How the blue FUCK is that not having a suspicion?  Did you get suspicious of Think in the course of writing three fucking sentences, and forget to delete your own words from earlier in the post you were IN THE PROCESS OF WRITING?  I mean sweet Jesus, NUKE, talk about inconsistent behavior.  You couldn't keep your story straight in the same paragraph.

Next..ahem.

OVERDEFENDING
IS
A SCUMTELL.

You have good reasons for your actions?  Fine.  Post them when someone gives you a good reason to.  Responding to any accusation or prodding remark with a "How DARE you!?!" response is overkill, and makes it seem like you have something to hide.  Ditto for pre-emptive defense.  You're not saving anyone time.  If you post a defense before anyone asks for it, it makes it seem like you KNOW you're going to be investigated, and want to reassure everyone that yes, you're really town.  It makes you seem overly concerned about your image.  You know who else is overly concerned with looking town, and squashing investigations on them?  SCUM.  Pretending that these things aren't scumtells is absurd.  Town have better things to do, like investigate scum.  Even a mislynched townie knows that his words and arguments will be re-examined and hold greater weight after death, so there's no reason to EVER be hyper-defensive.  Worst case scenario?  You get to give your accusers the biggest "I told you so" and give them some material to hunt with after you're gone.  Best case scenario?  Your hunting reveals the true scum, and clears your name FAR better than some roundabout argument ever could, AND it saves time since instead of getting bogged down in your defense, the Town catches a scum.

I am not to say the first about this, but you DO seem awfully determined to keep your vote on Think.  I'd find this suspicious enough on it's own, but seeing as how you made it clear you had no suspects when you voted him in the first place, it seems REALLY scummy that you're basically grabbing a random person and shouting "It's him it's him, omg you guys why aren't we hanging him already!?".

It wasn't easy acting scummier than Simple, NUKE9.13, but dammit you gave it your all.  Enjoy your noose, you've earned it.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:27 am »

Dariush your D1 play consisted of slight rolefishing,meta-theories and you start this day with semi-random vote. How long do you want to prolong this type of play ? Do you even have some suspects at this point ?
Let's see... Nuke is a scumbag (more about him below), Flandre became less suspicious after her answer, but I'm still not entirely satisfied (more below) and Pandar is lurking and parroting, as per usual.

Dariush: I see nothing wrong with making unorthodox votes at non-player entities, even if I was not the one who came up with the idea. I agree that these were bandwagons, and that I have jumped aboard the both of them, but it is not quite the same as voting to lynch another player on borrowed evidence. The worst that could have happened in the latter case (for example) was the lynching of an inquisitor townie, but a breakthrough like that would have been invaluable regardless.
But why didn't you change your vote after seeing that both votes ended up being counted as unvotes?

Jim and Urist, I voted for Flandre above others because she was the only to vote both LNCP and the Inquisitor. That is the sole reason.

Pandar, do you have any suspicions besides Nuke now?

Now, Nuke...

You bullshitvoted Think.

You OMGUSed Think and me.

You overdefended to such an extent that I actually cringed while reading your last post.

You take other people' wording that you don't like, twist it and attempt to paint it as scumtell.

You are scum. Go hang.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2011, 09:31:26 am »

But why didn't you change your vote after seeing that both votes ended up being counted as unvotes?

I distinctly remember asking the mod for a votecount after that nonsense started, just to prove that the votes weren't counted, and LNCP did not respond until the day was over.  There was no way of knowing the second round of votes weren't counted until the day ended.  I just wanted to point that out because I wanted everyone to see their votes were being wasted, but it didn't happen that way.  Just FYI on that point, Dariush.

Jim and Urist, I voted for Flandre above others because she was the only to vote both LNCP and the Inquisitor. That is the sole reason.

Ah, my mistake.  I could have sworn someone else voted in both cases as well, but I admit I didn't bother to reread and make sure.
On the Nature of Dwarves

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2011, 10:13:27 am »

Orright, yeah.
Spoiler: Re:Think (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Re:Flandre (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Re:Pandar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Re:Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Re:Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Re:Dariush (click to show/hide)
tl;dnr: I kindly ask that anyone who doesn't want to read this crawls into a hole and never plays mafia again. SUCK IT UP. If you don't have time, DON'T REACT UNTIL YOU DO.

HOLY FUDGE THAT TOOK ME OVER TWO HOURS.

Anyway. Those whom I answered, please respond. Regular scumhunting will resume once replies start coming in.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39