Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75472 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It also seems that whatever is keeping him from posting has nothing to do with his alignment.
What makes you say that?
He was gone too long to expect to get away with lurking, if that was his intention. 'Seems' is the code word for WIFOM here. Cue guilty face.
Also, I liked the flute joke too (because it is true).

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2011, 11:34:26 pm »

Pandar:  If you were scum, which person here would you most fear as scum?  What about the reverse?

... Wut? If I was scum, I would most fear some derpist being scum because they might give me away... I guess? This question doesn't really make sense to me.

Pandar, are you going to actually play this game?

Yes. Our lovely mod ignored what I said about the 16th being the very limit on the earliest possible maybe of my being here, though.

Re Max in post 82: I AM GOING TO BE ACTIVE! :D

Hurrrrrr

Pandarsenic: Would you be more suspicious of a lurker, or a player claiming to be miller?

A miller claim. Draws a ton of attention, but can't really be disproved without death.

Pandar, you are here, aren't you? What do you think the size and semi-bastardry of this game will do to its general setup?

Wasn't at the time, actually. I'm nervous that we may not actually have scum but that doesn't seem likely; I figure if anything there will be witches who are scum in some very strange manner (e.g. Team Mafiarson, something cultlike, etc.)

Max: Your miller-related theories look stupid to me. Just saying.

Also OH GOD DIDN'T REALIZE DAY SO CLOSE TO END Extension plx

LNCP: May I post our PM-dialogue to the thread since it's related to my inability to play and not my role?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 13/14]
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2011, 12:06:33 am »

Flandre: Hrm. Fair enough, I guess.

Jim mentioned earlier that he wouldn't outright claim if he got miller, I wanted to press that if he was a miller, he really should, as if he was I would be further drawn to the idea that all townies are millers.

Also, two people think they are millers, and a third was confirmed to be one. Three millers seems like a lot to start off with, I'm still wondering if there are more. LNCP either wanted to weaken the cop with millers, give us wine to drink when there is no cop, or make a puzzle out of having all the town inspect as scum and the scum inspect as town.

Max: So far I see a lot of setting up people as scum on metagame mechanics and flavor and basically nothing resembling actual hunting in the slightest. You pushed Urist a little bit but now don't seem to be DOING anything with him, even though you've announced you're suspicious of him repeatedly. And now you're voting Pandarsenic even though you're repeatedly saying "BUT WHAT IF IT'S A MISLYNCH WE NEED TO BE CAREFUL GUYS". Why vote him if you have so many reservations about him? Or are you just trying to give yourself a plausible excuse?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unvote.

As I said earlier, I'm currently too sick to play.  I don't think I'll need a replacement, but I do need some time off for thinking-straight leave.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Pandarsenic, do you have anything else?

For example, leads and/or suspicions and/or things that stood out to you for one reason or another?

IronyOwl, I'll grant you that Max White has been very odd this game, but tons of scumhunting isn't really something anybody has a definitive claim to so far. Why are you holding Max White accountable for it?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

Sorry Simple, missed your clarification until my re-read.

Simple: Are you asking me what I think about the possibility of someone being a "cop" in their flavor text, but vanilla town for their role?  Please clarify what you are asking me.
I meant the cop that instead of definite mafia/town alignment receives flavor description on inspects. E.g "You find lots of suspicious books in his house!". This is extension of "why not reveal flavor?" question.

Oooh, I see.  In other words, what if cops in this game that don't receive a flat Town or Scum reply?

Well, such a change would have a number of very important impacts on the Cop role.  First of all, vanilla Cop inspects are black-and-white.  The cop doesn't have to question or figure out what the Mod is telling him, and unless there's a miller or godfather to worry about, he has no reason to doubt his inspection is 100% accurate.  Even when dealing with a godfather or miller, there are ways of figuring out if your inspect was altered because of their role.

Flavor, however, screws it all up.  It depends entirely on the player making the right call;  barring some bizarrely specific and blatant details from LNCP, which could be abused by the rest of the town, this will definitely be easier said than done.  What if I, as a player, am paranoid about books being a sign of witchcraft?  Might I then deduce that my target is scum, even though he's town?  It calls into question the validity of the cop's power, which is a VERY fundamental thing to change.  Worse, anyone can try to argue that the person playing the cop is paranoid or naive.  They can't simply compare the results of the inspection and see if it proves their roleclaim, because now the Town can argue that they misinterpreted their flavor.  Hell, scum will have a field day with it, since sowing doubt and dissension is their objective.

Also, it would confirm that flavor text is important VERY important (possibly even critical) here.  I don't think I'd like that, mainly because TOO much flavor text clues and deduction will make this feel more like a "Whodunnit?" rather than an true game of Mafia.

TL:DR That would be a drastic and scary change, with unpredictable impact on balance, and I as a player wouldn't like it.

While we're on the topic, Simple, why the continued interest in specific flavor details?  I find it odd because you were critical of Max's constant theorizing, yet are doing some similar things yourself.  It's odd, contradictory behavior to me.

Hmm....

Dariush  Any leads at the moment?  I've not heard much from you in the way of solid suspects, mostly because earlier you said you had none.  Has the recent flurry of posts changed that?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Only Max, who drives me insane doing this shit every game.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Max, you've done zero scumhunting but are going to town with wild theories based on flavor. Do you really think who's scum has been written into the opening posts and whatever role PMs they choose to share like that?
Now I have to point out a distinction here. I haven't been going off flavour as in 'Oh look, the victim has a stab wound in he's right side, and X said they were left handed, so it was them!', but rather I have shown a reason that a scum player would lie about their flavour (Because if they just told us all they were a witch they would be lynched) and pointed out that Urist was the most likely to have lied about he's flavour.
Do you see the difference?

Here's a question: Why does it matter? Unless we're swimming in cops also, I really don't see this being a big enough deal to focus a lot of time and energy on.
Why wouldn't it matter? Until we have some more to go off, everything matters.

And here. You're claiming to be encouraging everyone to play, but not doing it yourself. Why is that? You're not even throwing up a crackpot theory with it, you're just spouting pro-town jargon.
I would like for people to be a little more active, yourself included. No really, do you think you have done enough to say anybody else isn't playing? Hell, Panda has had a greater impact on the game so far! This wasn't just standard 'Go team!' dribble, this was 'Get your ass into gear and do something!'
Also, I am playing, I am trying to figure out the game set up and looking for scum in ways they don't expect coming.

I AM GOING TO BE ACTIVE! :D
Ok, if you had reasons to be absent, and LNCP is ok with that, I am too. Unvote.
Well Urist, guess where that leaves you.

Max: So far I see a lot of setting up people as scum on metagame mechanics and flavor and basically nothing resembling actual hunting in the slightest. You pushed Urist a little bit but now don't seem to be DOING anything with him, even though you've announced you're suspicious of him repeatedly. And now you're voting Pandarsenic even though you're repeatedly saying "BUT WHAT IF IT'S A MISLYNCH WE NEED TO BE CAREFUL GUYS". Why vote him if you have so many reservations about him? Or are you just trying to give yourself a plausible excuse?
Read above for the 'not doing anything' part.
Also, have you been reading my posts. I was saying I would vote panda right up until lynch if we didn't see any sign of him. I was also saying that he did show up in more subtle ways, I would leave it until d2 before lynching him, just because I wanted to hear from him. I didn't have 'reservations', just a theory that I knew from the start was unlikely, but I didn't want to say nothing just in case.

Also, are you aware you just parroted Irony?

Only Max, who drives me insane doing this shit every game.
Love you too Panda  :P

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Now I have to point out a distinction here. I haven't been going off flavour as in 'Oh look, the victim has a stab wound in he's right side, and X said they were left handed, so it was them!', but rather I have shown a reason that a scum player would lie about their flavour (Because if they just told us all they were a witch they would be lynched) and pointed out that Urist was the most likely to have lied about he's flavour.
Do you see the difference?
Actually, there's a lot of reasons because of which one can lie about his flavour. Like being pretty much any power role, for instance.

I've been content with your insane theories when they were just theories, but now that you're voting someone because he 'could have lied about his flavour', it's simply inexcusable. Unvote, Max.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I would expect a power role to be less worried about constantly fitting in than the scum, and so refuse to give info, rather then lie to look like town.

Is this your revenge for the last two times I had something to do with your lynching Dariush?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2011, 04:04:03 am »

Votecount

Think0028  - 0 - 
Vector  - 0 - 
Toaster  - 0 - 
Dariush  - 0 - 
Pandarsenic  - 2 -  Ottofar, Toaster,
TolyK  - 2 -  Simple, Jim Groovester,
Urist_McArathos  - 1 -  Max White,
IronyOwl  - 0 - 
Flandre  - 1 -  Think0028,
Simple  - 0 - 
Ottofar  - 0 - 
Jim Groovester  - 0 - 
Max White  - 3 -  IronyOwl, Think0028, Dariush,
-
Not Voting  - 5 -  TolyK, Vector, Pandarsenic, Flandre, Urist_McArathos,
No Lynch  - 0 - 
-
Extend  - 5 -  Jim Groovester, Toaster, Think0028, Max White, Pandarsenic
Shorten  - 0 - 

TolyK is up for Replace.

The Day has been extended to Friday, 8PM GMT.

You need 5 players to Extend and 8 players to Shorten.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:04:30 am by lordnincompoop »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Can we please get another or a longer extension? 16 hours from now is so not enough.

Also, Max, way2rolefish. Srsly? You're demanding delicious flavor in a way that appears to have been designed to force power roles to claim?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Sorry, nope. The game is about flavour, and I used that for finding scum.
*Sigh*
That makes four, so that must mean at least one townie is voting for me, assuming there are three scum. Why do I get the feeling I'm up for lynch today?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because, as your being up for lynch D1 of every game shows, you need to clean up your playstyle.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39