Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75429 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

It's good to know that you'll be full-on stupid for this game just because there's bastard somewhere in the OP.

But whatever. Let's say your theory isn't completely bonkers.

Why Pandarsenic, a player who already lurks like a motherfucking piece of shit? What do the scum have to gain by keeping him silent?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Because he lurks like a motherfucking piece of shit, if it happened to any player that is always active people would be wondering why.
Yes, I know that is WIFOM. Thus I'm not moving my vote unless panda either shows and and can explain himself well, or I see he's vote on somebody.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

You still haven't explained how that's advantageous at all.

If he's going to be silent anyway, then why waste a valuable power?

These are the sorts of theories you keep to yourself so you don't look dumb.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

To pretty much force a mislynch. It will be a dumb theory if we don't get any reply, and Panda is lynch, and especially if he flips scum, and if so, no harm done, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Max:  Do you have any basis for this crackpot theory of yours?  Also, please elaborate on this statement:

To pretty much force a mislynch. It will be a dumb theory if we don't get any reply, and Panda is lynch, and especially if he flips scum, and if so, no harm done, but it couldn't hurt to try.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Nope. Unless Panda's vote magically appears on somebody, then I will have something indeed! Until then, nada.

It is currently without evidence, so the way things are going yes, it would be a dumb theory, but it does open up the chance for Panda to give us something, even if he is silenced. What harm could asking him to vote do if he can't post?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have poured over the entire thread, and other than Max's Latest Theory™, nothing much really stands out.

Simple:
Name :Woah as i write that i realized maybe witches could use our names in some way since it's pretty common theme when dealing with magic e.t.c So i guess i not reveal my name for now (damn i'm too paranoid probably).
What sort of power do you think requires knowing someone's name to use?

Max: Your theory seems like more trouble for you than it is worth. Why do you feel obliged to help Pandar? You must have known that doing so would draw unwanted attention.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I'm asking Panda to send a PM to the mod, in exchange for potentially avoiding a mislynch. Not exactly a lot of trouble, and worth a fair amount. I'm not really saving him here, but a mislynch is something that townies make some effort to avoid.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

The question is not addressed to me, but I do know that in some occult and mysticism practices, names can be used to confer power over another creature.  Some even believe that every entity has a True Name, a sort of unique code for them, that if known, can allow untold power over the creature.

Typically though, these rules seem to apply to demons and such more than mortals, but I can see where the idea that witches might use our "real" names to do harm can come from.  I don't necessarily agree, since I don't recall it being a part of witch folklore, but I get the gist of the idea.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do think it would be a waste to lynch Pandar if he is on the verge of timing out. It also seems that whatever is keeping him from posting has nothing to do with his alignment.

The question is not addressed to me, but I do know that in some occult and mysticism practices, names can be used to confer power over another creature.  Some even believe that every entity has a True Name, a sort of unique code for them, that if known, can allow untold power over the creature.

Typically though, these rules seem to apply to demons and such more than mortals, but I can see where the idea that witches might use our "real" names to do harm can come from.  I don't necessarily agree, since I don't recall it being a part of witch folklore, but I get the gist of the idea.
Thank you, Urist. I am familiar with this, but I wanted to ask Simple what he thought might be a Witch's role that required a name to use--how the idea might be engineered to fit into the game.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

It also seems that whatever is keeping him from posting has nothing to do with his alignment.

That is the other thing. Panda lurks. He does it as town, and he does it even worse as scum, or at least that is what I have been led to believe. He might just be trying to see if he can go an entire day without posting, and if he thinks that, he is dead wrong.

There could be nothing stopping him from posting, and if so he will hang for it, but just in case I figure a 'vote by PM' will be the best way of telling us he can't post.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Hey guys, I'm back. Archive-diving the thread momentarily, then posting, then... eh, cooking dinner probably.

So yeah.

Had some shit related to my move-in, which I'm attempting to deal with appropriately or just get over as necessary.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

What's the inn name ?
What is the inn name, Simple?
Hmm ? I don't get why you fos'd me but anyway it looks like nobody pm mentioned my inn name so : name's Flaming Hen.
Bolded for answer. I found it suspicious that you supposedly knew the name but at least two other people didn't.

This should answer Toaster's question as well.
Also, I liked the flute joke.

IronyOwl, who do you suspect?

With nothing else to go off of I'm perfectly happy to lynch players who are apparently playing but have not posted, i.e., TolyK and/or Pandarsenic.
Mainly Max, for going off on all sorts of flavor tangents with absolutely zero actual scumhunting. Granted, this is Max, so that's somewhat to be expected, but still.

Also Pandar, for the lurking yet not dead thing. The last line sounds like a good plan in light of that.

Max, you've done zero scumhunting but are going to town with wild theories based on flavor. Do you really think who's scum has been written into the opening posts and whatever role PMs they choose to share like that?

Keep playing as normal, wait to see if we get a flood of millers or a mix of roles, easy.
Like this. When you say "keep playing as normal," do you mean start playing as normal, or continue to throw up what-ifs until a lot of people have died?

Apart from that, not a huge amount has revealed itself. Are we all a little scared of the unknown? I hope not! Get busy living or get busy dying! Extend, I guess.
And here. You're claiming to be encouraging everyone to play, but not doing it yourself. Why is that? You're not even throwing up a crackpot theory with it, you're just spouting pro-town jargon.

Jim mentioned earlier that he wouldn't outright claim if he got miller, I wanted to press that if he was a miller, he really should, as if he was I would be further drawn to the idea that all townies are millers.

Also, two people think they are millers, and a third was confirmed to be one. Three millers seems like a lot to start off with, I'm still wondering if there are more. LNCP either wanted to weaken the cop with millers, give us wine to drink when there is no cop, or make a puzzle out of having all the town inspect as scum and the scum inspect as town.
Here's a question: Why does it matter? Unless we're swimming in cops also, I really don't see this being a big enough deal to focus a lot of time and energy on.

IronyOwl: Would you lynch someone over flavor evidence only ? How many scum do you expect to be playing ?
Not unless it was incredibly strong, like two people claiming to run the only inn in town.

I'm pretty partial to the two teams of three theory, honestly. It seems pretty plausible given the game's size and semi-bastardry, and goes along with the opening flavor and the flavor witches in general sometimes have.

Irony: What do you think the fact that we started in a night phase means?
This I don't know, but I do find it interesting. My first instinct is that it's some sort of divination phase for the scumteams to hunt each other out- that might explain why there was no kill as well.

This is a good theory, especially since we probably won't get anything useful out of sharing names.

It also seems that whatever is keeping him from posting has nothing to do with his alignment.
What makes you say that?

Hey guys, I'm back. Archive-diving the thread momentarily, then posting, then... eh, cooking dinner probably.

So yeah.

Had some shit related to my move-in, which I'm attempting to deal with appropriately or just get over as necessary.
This is kind of nonchalant for lurking through an extension.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suspect it's to make it so that people can't group-confirm each other.

(Flaming Hen)

I'd think scum would be afraid to make up details of that sort, especially so soon as D1.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39