Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75391 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:08 am »

Think:  I see.

Urist:
Um, no more info Max, sadly.  No, not even the name of the inn.  I won't copy my entire PM (duh), but that's all there is.  I'm a merchant, resting at the inn.  Oh, and I like to drink, apparently.  That's everything.  There's a ton for me to read through, so Unvote for now; I'm satisfied with Think's answer, and feel there's a LOT of juicier stuff to dig through tonight.

Do you have any suspects yet?  Did you realize your vote on Max was his fourth third?

PPE:  Question is still valid after unvote.

Flavor-based questions(Max/Vector):  Fair enough.

I don't like the wagon on Max, though.  Unvote Max.

Dariush:  Why are you being a lurky lurkerface?

Flandre:  ...you aren't actually voting Max any more.   Hmm.
Bdthemag: If someone was lurking in such a way as to appear irrefutably scummy, would you vote for that person, or withhold judgement to avoid a comment directed at your own notorious lurking habits?

At what point does lurking become criminal?

Mod:  Flandre isn't voting anyone.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:24 am »

Noted and fixed. Thanks.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2011, 09:00:15 am »

Dariush: Does the fact that this is a semi-bastard mod affect your opinion at all?
Semi-bastard? Maybe you meant 'semi-closed setup'? And in any case, no.

Dariush Would you rather want to be against standard mafia or cult ?
Definitely against standard mafia.

Now, I really don't like this 'miller' business. According to setup, scum are witches - how are cops going to confuse millers for witches? It think millers have some other role.

As to me, I'm a prosperous tavern owner, as were my father and grandfather before me. Last night I heard windows breaking and this morning I found a set of large and deep footprints on the ground. This may imply that there's a giant or a golem of some sort among us, but I doubt villagers would fail to notice it.

Urist, you're the only one whose flavour is tied to someone else's. Besides, it's very short and non-informative. Are you trying to give yourself credibility this way?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 13/14]
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2011, 09:03:21 am »

"Miller" is a generic mafia term for inspect-scum Townies.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2011, 09:08:04 am »

I know, but your flavor suggested that millers are literal millers. Dying from overwork? How does that relate to getting inspected as mafia at all?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2011, 09:15:01 am »

Actually I phrased that incorrectly.

Considering that scum are witches, it would rather be expected that the traditional millers would be some females which are interested in books. Putting actual millers as miller role is quite illogical (considering you fit the rest of the game so neatly together).

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:41 am »

Actually I phrased that incorrectly.

Considering that scum are witches, it would rather be expected that the traditional millers would be some females which are interested in books. Putting actual millers as miller role is quite illogical (considering you fit the rest of the game so neatly together).

That's been handled, and isn't really something you need to concern yourself with.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »

Toaster: I don't really at this time.  It still felt a bit too much like RVS when I questioned Max.  No, I didn't see how many votes he had, it was a random one.

Dariush: My role is not specifically tied to anyone's.  My statement to Max was a guess, while trying to help piece things together.  Hell, I could also guess  I'm staying at your tavern, but I don't have any proof of that either.  I was just wanting to help make sense of the flavor.

My pm was not very short, I just felt most of it was not pertinet to Max's questions.  For example, I also saw a man run through some woods, but that hardly seems noteworthy on its own.  I really don't see how my post could be taken as building credibity when it makes me look like a quiet stranger.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

Flandre Do you think we'll suffer any consequences for not lynching?  I'm just wondering how stern those guards will be if we don't have someone ready for that noose, and a mislynch is generally a setback for town.
I am open to the possibility. I don't think it would be too much trouble to steer clear of a no-lynch situation, and regardless of what might happen if we turn up empty-handed, it is better to be safe than to be sorry.

Bdthemag: If someone was lurking in such a way as to appear irrefutably scummy, would you vote for that person, or withhold judgement to avoid a comment directed at your own notorious lurking habits?

At what point does lurking become criminal?
Specifically, when one actively lurks and intentionally overlooks questions. I was trying to elicit a defensive response from Bd by asking what he would do if he encountered a player who operated like he himself did in the last BM.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »

How would you decide which of these to use on a given night, though?
I would probably inspect near the end of D1, protect during N1, kill whoever seemed scummy, yet unlikely to be lynched that day (taking into account the results of the inspection, and the behavior of the inspected that morning) on D2, and roleblock never. Things might be switched around depending on the situation, but I believe this is a good place to start as any.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2011, 01:44:44 pm »

I'm sorry, Bd, but...
*wipes tear from eye*
That was amusing! Also, two people think they are millers, one is confirmed to be a miller... Jim is sure he isn't, and I'm going to believe him.

What are you getting at?

No matter what I can think of I can't escape how dumb it is.

Surprise me with your intelligent reasons.

MOD: Can you make certain that Bdthemag, Tolyk, and Pandarsenic, and possibly any others I might have missed who haven't posted since game start, are actually playing?

They are all playing. I have prodded TolyK and Pandarsenic.

Then where are they?

Let's get a TolyK in here and see what he has to say.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

I would probably inspect near the end of D1, protect during N1, kill whoever seemed scummy, yet unlikely to be lynched that day (taking into account the results of the inspection, and the behavior of the inspected that morning) on D2, and roleblock never. Things might be switched around depending on the situation, but I believe this is a good place to start as any.
JOAT one-shots are usually night actions. Assuming just one action per night, what would your order/criteria be? What might mix that up?

Weird we have that many merchant roles if the town is on "minor trade route" and my pm mentions only "occasional merchant". Maybe i shouldn't read too much into it but bit more information can't be bad.

Actually, I would definitely read something into it; my role PM didn't mention any other merchants, or a large caravan or the sort of thing that would require several merchants.  As far as I know, I'm the only merchant here, just resting after the journey.  It's entirely possible that people are lying about their flavor text.
As far as I know, nobody's PM explicitly mentioned anyone else. The number might be significant, though it could just be an excuse for not everyone to be from around these parts.

Unvote.  Thank you for your prompt answer...now to figure out what to ask next.
Maybe something of or about the two other merchants you suspect?

What's the inn name ?
What is the inn name, Simple?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »

Given that I am the only person who fits that in the game, no, I don't think I've been made evil just because I'm one of two girls and happen to like books.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2011, 03:40:27 pm »

What are you getting at?

No matter what I can think of I can't escape how dumb it is.

Surprise me with your intelligent reasons.
If all townies are millers*
And Jim is not a miller
Then Jim is not a townie

Seemless logic even a trained monkey could get. The problem is the * in there, and as such your free from being a real suspect unless people keep flipping miller.

Given that I am the only person who fits that in the game, no, I don't think I've been made evil just because I'm one of two girls and happen to like books.
One of two girls? Who is the other?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2011, 03:43:52 pm »

JOAT one-shots are usually night actions. Assuming just one action per night, what would your order/criteria be? What might mix that up?
Oops. You even mentioned in the question that they were only night actions. How did I miss that?
In that case, I would protect, inspect, and kill, in that order. I may kill sooner if I feel an early end-game approaching, but with a setup like this, where there are so many of us, it does not seem likely. N1 would ordinarily be empty for the express purpose of buying me enough time to determine a good inspect target, but I would rather use the protect action than to allow N1 to swing idly by. Kill makes the most sense after an inspection.

One of two girls? Who is the other?
*raises hand*
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 39