Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75373 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »

Flandre, let's say you're a town roleblocker. What sort of qualities would you look for in a target?
To put it bluntly, I would look for scummy behavior as per usual.
There is little else to it, because I would not likely risk blocking the role of some misjudged townie, and for those I was absolutely sure were scum, I would still withhold my block to avoid any vote-role associations on the scum's part. Townie roleblocking does not seem particularly advantageous, I think.

What if you had only murky reads on people? Would you still block somebody?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2011, 08:12:16 pm »

If I had nothing substantial to go on for an intelligible use for my role, then I would not use it. Otherwise, it is just as well that I randomly select an individual, block him/her, and hope for the best.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2011, 08:25:11 pm »

Jim:  Interesting on your hesitancy to announce a scum result.  I suppose it does match up with past game meta, though.  (Bastanormal)

Well, a Jester or death miller will throw off nearly anyone's game.  Otherwise, I'm not too sure what else would, other than a sleeping god or something.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I remain 100% in favor of claiming miller D1, first post of the game.

Max:
IronyOwl: Hello! Firstly, this has been bugging me because I don't know and everybody else seems to, where is your avatar from? Also, let's say you were a third party role with a wincon that revolved around having a witch night killed rather than lynched, how would you go about achieving this.

That is a very specific question.

Flandre:  I have the most trouble reading Jim, Vector, and Ottofar, though Otto I tend to read as scum rather than town.  I think Jim could pull it off the best through sheer force of personality.

Think:  If you were a standard JOAT (1-shot kill/protect/inspect/block), and there was one person you were 75% sure was scum and one person you were 75% sure was town, what would you do?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2011, 08:31:44 pm »

On a somewhat unrelated note, I remain 100% in favor of claiming miller D1, first post of the game.

Really? Well I have found your style of play more transparent than Jim's.
I think I'm a miller. It doesn't specifically say in my role PM, but the flavour text does seem to imply it, and the theme of the game seems to be extracting things from flavour. When I asked LNCP about it no answer was given, I got a reply but very specifically no answer.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »

Toaster: Depends on how many people are left. If there's a lot of people, I'd probably lean to killing the scummy guy. If there's a few people, I'd lean to inspecting the towny guy. Protect I'd save for if the 75% scummy guy (who I presume is my top suspect) was lynched, which I'd then use on the towny guy, and block I'd use on the scummy guy if there's a few people and I'm slightly more suspicious of the scummy guy than secure in the towny guy.

Simple: Investigative role, because I think it's more likely I'll pick scum than scum'll decide to kill me. I have a pretty good track record of not being targeted by the night kill (in my very limited experience).

McArathos: I'd say Godfather would be my personal favorite, I'm pretty bad at picking out power roles so Roleblocker would be pretty meh for me.

Dariush: Does the fact that this is a semi-bastard mod affect your opinion at all?

If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2011, 01:05:33 am »

If I had nothing substantial to go on for an intelligible use for my role, then I would not use it. Otherwise, it is just as well that I randomly select an individual, block him/her, and hope for the best.

Fair enough.

Unvote.

IronyOwl: Hello! Firstly, this has been bugging me because I don't know and everybody else seems to, where is your avatar from? Also, let's say you were a third party role with a wincon that revolved around having a witch night killed rather than lynched, how would you go about achieving this.

That is a very specific question.

This was such an understatement I laughed.

That is indeed a very specific question. I'd like to see it answered.

I think I'm a miller. It doesn't specifically say in my role PM, but the flavour text does seem to imply it, and the theme of the game seems to be extracting things from flavour. When I asked LNCP about it no answer was given, I got a reply but very specifically no answer.

So do you mix potions in cauldrons with newt eyes, but they don't do anything? Do you run around with a broomstick between your legs, flapping your arms trying to fly? Does your trochaic tetrameter end up more like iambic whatevermeter?

This claim of yours could be more informative.

IronyOwl, do you expect that this game's semi-bastard nature will affect your ability to gather suspicions??
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2011, 01:10:42 am »

So do you mix potions in cauldrons with newt eyes, but they don't do anything? Do you run around with a broomstick between your legs, flapping your arms trying to fly? Does your trochaic tetrameter end up more like iambic whatevermeter?
Well I live further out from the village than most, and invest in the purchase of many books. I also enjoy a spot of carpentry, and before these gentlemen turned up on horses there was gossip going around about me. Walking around town I would catch whispers of people claiming I carved 'totems' and that the books in my house contained dark magic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2011, 01:12:02 am »

Actually... unvote for now.

Show of hands.  Who is female in the flavortext?

*raises hand*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2011, 01:12:48 am »

Oh, and who collects books?

*also raises hand*

(I don't have any other signs, though.  I'm trying to find out how significant certain minor details are)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:39 am »

I have a name that can be either male or female, and yea, book fan here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:36 am »

Also, while we are on the topic of minor details that may mean nothing, I purchase most of my food from merchants but living off a simple diet. Anybody have anything relevant?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2011, 01:43:48 am »

Well I live further out from the village than most, and invest in the purchase of many books. I also enjoy a spot of carpentry, and before these gentlemen turned up on horses there was gossip going around about me. Walking around town I would catch whispers of people claiming I carved 'totems' and that the books in my house contained dark magic.

I see.

Also, while we are on the topic of minor details that may mean nothing, I purchase most of my food from merchants but living off a simple diet. Anybody have anything relevant?

Not really. I'm a landlord's son who enjoys spending my father's money. Not for any productive purpose, of course.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:57 am »

Hmm... I'll add that I also live on the outskirts.  I'm a cobbler's apprentice.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2011, 01:49:00 am »

Not really. I'm a landlord's son who enjoys spending my father's money. Not for any productive purpose, of course.

Yea, that sounds like you Jim.  :P
I'm a self made man, who is currently living off some wise investments I made in coffee beans.
LNCP: Why is this not a role playing mafia? It would have been perfect for this game!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:23 am »

I'm a merchant, resting at the inn.  I could be the merchant you purchase your supplies from, Max.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39