Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75359 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]
« Reply #555 on: September 09, 2011, 06:17:17 pm »

How were the witches supposed to win that game?

By being good. I deliberately made it harder for the Witches, so that they'd need to work to win.

Finally, I think the flavor focus was stacked against non-town (or at least non-town non-witch) pretty hard. Being that relevant but different is great from a "we're town how do we solve the puzzle?" perspective, but it makes it a lot harder for non-town to lie their way out of something they never knew had a correct answer, much less what it was.

Mind clarifying this a little for me?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 09, 2011, 06:20:26 pm »

Non-town didn't know what would be good flavour to claim or not. In all reality it would have been very easy for them to say they were the local brewer or something like that, but if their story conflicted some somebody else's, they were screwed.
It wasn't that flavour was stacked against the non-town, it was just that everybody was too conservative to build themselves a real back story.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »

By being good. I deliberately made it harder for the Witches, so that they'd need to work to win.

I dunno. No matter how good you play some jackass with a kill can still ruin it all (cf. Dariush).

Still, playing a scum team rich information but low in power was pretty cool. I'd tone down the third party killing roles instead of giving the witch team a kill in future games.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 09, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »

Wow- three potential N0 kills?  This could have been a very different game.

LNCP:  What would have happened if Dariush had recruited Irony?

Golemchat was a great read.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:18 pm »

LNCP:  What would have happened if Dariush had recruited Irony?

:-X

I dunno. No matter how good you play some jackass with a kill can still ruin it all (cf. Dariush).

Still, playing a scum team rich information but low in power was pretty cool. I'd tone down the third party killing roles instead of giving the witch team a kill in future games.

Duly noted.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 09, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »

Duly noted.

Gonna second that. Keep in mind that if a random townie gets offed, the town doesn't lose that much; if a member of the scum team gets offed, that's a huge problem for them. With 3 kills floating around....
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »

LNCP: You gonna do another one of these? I'd be interested.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 09, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

Well I do have Ockhams up, that is basically going to be this cross with one of Mephs games. So both flavour and role intensive...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »

Did I really seem scummy enough to be the last witch?  That's no good.

And I wish I was bulletproof.  That'd be awesome to be such one game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 09, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »

Meh, it wasn't that you were scummy, it was that without that vengekill that nobody knew about, the town could not win with your plan.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »

I was actually aware of that- my thinking hinged on whether Dariush would get one last kill, since I would be the obvious target.   I had a post typed up and was about to submit it at the time I formally accused Irony, but set it aside and didn't post it.  Basically, it was me doing what everyone else was doing in their chat- expounding on possible ending scenarios.  Flandre saved us all from a hung game.

I simply didn't trust Irony and Dariush not coming away with a win.

Nearly every townie a miller was interesting, but besides Simple, I mostly avoided it.  Vector was obvmiller- a broom in the corner?  Come on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 09, 2011, 07:58:40 pm »

I would love to play another one of these sorts of games some time when I had free time and wasn't dying.  It looked amazing.

Just gotta remember that I don't get to in on more than one game at a time, and I should be fine.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »

Once again, Ockhams will be in this style, but with power roles turned up to 11. If you have the time currently.

I just desperately want players.  :'(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »

I might consider it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »

Finally, I think the flavor focus was stacked against non-town (or at least non-town non-witch) pretty hard. Being that relevant but different is great from a "we're town how do we solve the puzzle?" perspective, but it makes it a lot harder for non-town to lie their way out of something they never knew had a correct answer, much less what it was.

Mind clarifying this a little for me?
Well, role PM detail is a good example. Scum had no real idea what went into a townie's PM, making it harder to fake. The fact that specific objects were mentioned, for instance, wasn't something I knew about until much later, which proved slightly problematic. A harsher example would be that, while I was faking being a merchant, I had no idea how merchanty I was really supposed to be. Should I have trade routes, good peddled, a name for my mule? Did I have a cart or what?

Another example would be Toaster coming in with the merchant caravan, which I didn't know existed and thus couldn't feign coming in with.

Other issues were hints in the flavor- figure in the barn, three witches, and Max's not-quite-correct assertion that townies had no power roles. There was also that none of the merchants were straight townies, even if one was townie-aligned.

Also, the Inquisitor was odd, because he had three inspects a night. While there were plenty of millers and indistinct oddities around, that would have made it hard to get away with lying about your role too much.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39