Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75337 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:28 pm »

Yeah, you're far more likely to be stuck wondering Why, oh Why you can't Get Ye Flask!

Because Wuba's not going to tell you, and there's no precious graphics to help you either.

I hope you have more to contribute than to respond to my joke.

What makes you something like this is going to work at all?

KWN:DE and IMBML(BM(M)), which both had similar things as a vital mechanic.

Weren't those crazy ridiculous bastard games, though?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »

Not... really.

KWN:DE had a simple mechanic that was a bit too obscure, and as far as I know the other one just ended when I lynched Pandar.  It was pretty straightforward, as well.  Oh, and furthermore, I heard something about this game being its spiritual successor, so... it only makes sense to try.

Is there some reason why you're trying to keep me from testing out the flavor?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

Is there some reason you think I am trying to stop you?

I don't think it's going to work, but I'm only asking questions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

I hope you have more to contribute than to respond to my joke.

Oh, let me have my fun as I sort through four pages of back-arguments.  I've got a lot of catching up to do, and it's late.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2011, 12:28:14 am »

Is there some reason you think I am trying to stop you?

I don't think it's going to work, but I'm only asking questions.

I'm just a bit confused by the need to question a technique it'll take a couple of seconds to verify, in a game where the mod expressly suggested it might be a good idea.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:16 am »

Gah...that wasn't as action-packed as I expected it to be.  Seems none of us know who to lynch yet.

I'm really curious about flavor here; I think it'll play a role (how strong I don't know) in our actions, but it doesn't seem like there's much to go on just yet.  "Burn him he bakes bread!"  "No, burn him!  He likes to read!"  "Burn him also, he has two pairs of shoes!"

Hmmm....

Vector, question here:
Vector:  Can you think of a situation where you would you lynch someone over flavor?

Without other clues, like the ones that come from scumhunting?  I probably wouldn't.  Bastard games, however, usually require that you solve a puzzle in order to help figure out what's going on, and how to hunt.  As such, working out mechanics are necessary.

Given that you seem to be curious about the role and importance of flavor in this game, I find it odd you wouldn't lynch over it.  I could understand it in most games, but don't you think, given the OP, that the flavor bits might need to carry more weight?  If not, why not?

Max

The game references "witch-aligned entities" as well as witches.  What kinds of roles do you think would be "witch-aligned"?  Do you think they'd be a cult-like faction, or...well, I don't know enough to toss out other possibilities.  Basically, what the hell else do you think we need to worry about besides the scum themselves?

Flandre Do you think we'll suffer any consequences for not lynching?  I'm just wondering how stern those guards will be if we don't have someone ready for that noose, and a mislynch is generally a setback for town.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44:26 am »

Lynching without other evidence, unless this is a game where the scum don't know they're scum... no.  I consider myself a better player than that, and literary analysis (which is what we'd be doing) is always up to interpretation.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2011, 01:33:48 am »

Lynching without other evidence, unless this is a game where the scum don't know they're scum... no.  I consider myself a better player than that, and literary analysis (which is what we'd be doing) is always up to interpretation.

Fair enough; I doubt LNCP's flavor would be blatant and obvious as "Player X is seen flying past the moon on a broom, cackling with a black cat".  So, it would all be debating whether or not that hint REALLY meant X, or Y...yeah, I see what you mean.  Maybe as the bit of evidence that pushes a suspicion over the top, but too risky on its own.
On the Nature of Dwarves

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2011, 03:34:37 am »

If I was a JOAT, my strategy (given that I was a townie and I understand this role) might be as follows:
-My inspect would be used on someone who satisfies the above criterion.
-My kill would be directed at the person I have inspected and confirmed to be negatively aligned, unless his situation changes and he was lynched on his own. Otherwise, I would save it for when I was absolutely sure someone was scum and the rest of the town refused to buy it. I would also be careful not to openly vote for him/her to prevent the scum from connecting my vote to the kill, mistaken me for a Vigilante, and do away with me that night.
-I would probably avoid roleblocking as a townie, due to my preference in voting for someone who I found was scummy over blocking whatever role he may have. Blocking the role of someone I was unsure about is to be further avoided. (This is the brief version of an answer I provided just a little while ago.)
-I would simply protect whoever I deem to be both dangerous to the scum, and whose death would yield the least clues for scum-hunting the following morning. In essence, I would have to think like one of them. Being a doctor is not an exact science, though, so there is little I could offer with general strategies.
How would you decide which of these to use on a given night, though?

Flandre Do you think we'll suffer any consequences for not lynching?  I'm just wondering how stern those guards will be if we don't have someone ready for that noose, and a mislynch is generally a setback for town.
I hadn't really considered nolynching anyway, but this is an interesting theory.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2011, 03:36:40 am »

You have something awfully specific in mind that you're fishing for. Why focusing so hard on that?
Yes, I do, and now that Urist has responded I think this will answer Toasters question as well.
My role pm was some what descriptive, telling me where I live and some of my hobbies, and what I did for a living. I would expect every bodies to follow suit, however if not everybody is human, then not every bodies PM will be about buying coffee and brewing beer, some peoples will be about their past life as a magical entity of some sort, witch or otherwise. If we're claiming information about our role PM, the scum will need to have lied to look like town.

If so, I expect them to be slightly less informative about their information than the rest of us (Before this post, anyway), because there not telling anything important, just a few small lies to cover it. All we know of Urist is that he stays at the inn, is a merchant, and enjoys beer.

I'm a merchant, resting at the inn.  I could be the merchant you purchase your supplies from, Max.
I also find it in interesting that he made an effort to attach he's back story to mine. This could be an attempt to add validity by building on an already existing role flavour. If there was going to be story consistency, I would expect it to be with the name of the inn, something he can not provide.

Also, if he is staying at the inn, even if he is being honest, it means he is not a local.

This isn't enough to go to lynch over, clearly, but it is eye catching. I was specifically looking for a lack of given information, to shorten things.

Max

The game references "witch-aligned entities" as well as witches.  What kinds of roles do you think would be "witch-aligned"?  Do you think they'd be a cult-like faction, or...well, I don't know enough to toss out other possibilities.  Basically, what the hell else do you think we need to worry about besides the scum themselves?
Well firstly there could be a brother style role, that is a role that is aligned to the mafia, and counts towards their numbers, but does not have scum chat, and doesn't know who the mafia players are, and they do not know him. He must just try to mislynch and hope he isn't NKed. Apart from that, I can't think of any others, apart from maybe brothers with night actions like kills or inspects.

I hope there isn't a cult, I don't like them very much. While your average scum reduces the town count by one each night they make a kill, a cult will reduce town count by one, and increase their own count by one, meaning a two person swing per convert, while keeping the same number of players, so not increasing the chance of a lynch. Not a nice thing to be against, however, the lack of a night kill in n0 might point that way. The best way to deal with them is for any town vig to go trigger happy and kill each night to be sure, I would guess.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2011, 07:56:32 am »

With a great heave and sigh, BDthemag collapses onto the ground, foaming at the mouth and convulsing. Others nearby come to try and save him, but to no avail; he died as soon as he touched the ground.

The Inquisitor comes down to look at the body, but seems disappointed. It isn't what he was looking for.

"This man," he begins, "has died from overwork. Do not lament this humble miller's passing, for it is a good death indeed to perish from love of one's virtue."

"Now, let us continue. We have but a few hours left until the sun sets." He rises, and walks back to his men.

Votecount

Think0028  - 0 - 
Vector  - 0 - 
Toaster  - 0 - 
Dariush  - 1 -  Think0028,
Pandarsenic  - 1 -  Ottofar,
TolyK  - 1 -  Simple,
Urist_McArathos  - 0 - 
IronyOwl  - 0 - 
Flandre  - 1 -  IronyOwl,
Simple  - 0 - 
Ottofar  - 0 - 
Jim Groovester  - 0 - 
Max White  - 3 -  Dariush, Toaster, Urist_McArathos,
-
Not Voting  - 7 -  Pandarsenic, TolyK, Jim Groovester, Vector, Max White, Flandre,
No Lynch  - 0 - 
-
Extend  - 6 -  Jim Groovester, Flandre, Simple, Toaster, Vector, Think0028
Shorten  - 0 - 

Ralph "BDthemag" Cooke has died (Anti-Lurk System).

He was a Miller.

The Day has been extended to Thursday, 8PM GMT.

You need 5 players to Extend and 8 players to Shorten.

MOD: Can you make certain that Bdthemag, Tolyk, and Pandarsenic, and possibly any others I might have missed who haven't posted since game start, are actually playing?

They are all playing. I have prodded TolyK and Pandarsenic.

Vector examines her surroundings.

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm familliar with "Vector examines her surroundings".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:52:21 am by lordnincompoop »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2011, 08:03:37 am »

I'm sorry, Bd, but...
*wipes tear from eye*
That was amusing! Also, two people think they are millers, one is confirmed to be a miller... Jim is sure he isn't, and I'm going to believe him.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2011, 08:10:27 am »

Weird we have that many merchant roles if the town is on "minor trade route" and my pm mentions only "occasional merchant". Maybe i shouldn't read too much into it but bit more information can't be bad.

Simple: Any chance you could elucidate us with some more information as to the extortionists?
In description of my life prior to this day was mentioned that i had no problem with any "funny business,riots or extortionists". It was a bit too precise to be accidental to me so i mentioned it. Sadly there's nothing more about that.

Max White: Why do you use flavor to link people ?

Dariush Would you rather want to be against standard mafia or cult ?

PPE: Urgh.Great.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:54 am »

When the mod advises to read the flavour for detective work, it would be foolish to ignore it.
Also, It's like being part of a murder mystery book, how could you not be getting in on the flavour? That is like going on a roller coaster and not screaming on the loops.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2011, 08:42:07 am »

Weird we have that many merchant roles if the town is on "minor trade route" and my pm mentions only "occasional merchant". Maybe i shouldn't read too much into it but bit more information can't be bad.

Actually, I would definitely read something into it; my role PM didn't mention any other merchants, or a large caravan or the sort of thing that would require several merchants.  As far as I know, I'm the only merchant here, just resting after the journey.  It's entirely possible that people are lying about their flavor text.

Unvote.  Thank you for your prompt answer...now to figure out what to ask next.
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39