Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, my fort is flooding!  (Read 1238 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Help, my fort is flooding!
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »

Guys, during my epic part water/part magma moat project, I made a fatal mistake and water has started to stream into the basement of my fort!

I need to get that water out of the basement. If you see the part of picture 2 where the smoothed stone is, thats the part I need to get the water out of.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/df1v.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/df2u.jpg/
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help, my fort is flooding!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:48 pm »

The water seems to be still low enough to evaporate so try blocking the river or whatever water source you have.
If the level is already 4+ then try building pumps and redirecting the water somewhere else (like the edge of the map or a cistern with prisoners).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

Ah, good ol' water.. it can ruin yer day.

From what I can tell, the leak actually isn't that bad yet.  All the water levels in both the moat and the basement are levels 1 and 2, which is more like a foot of water at worst I'd think. Where is the leak coming from exactly? Like, is there a hole in the ceiling? Or did you

Nevermind, I see it.  But yes, the leak isn't horrible yet, you can fix by simply constructing a wall near the smooth stone, if you can keep the water at only 1 level deep.  If you can't, you need to build a couple of pump stacks to help drain the smooth stone long enough for you to build those walls. 

Edit: Aye, as he said, level 1-deep water will evaporate over time.  It looks like you are using murky pools to fill your moat, so TOO MUCH water doesn't seem to be an issue.  It doesn't look like you had used a river or the like to fill your moat, cause if you did, you would be in alot worse shape right now.  But, at least your moat would be more than puddles.. XD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:39:47 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

Methodology is same for every flood, it just depends on if you can do the method quickly enough.  1: stop the current flow, either via floodgate, placing walls, or with pumps.  2: spread the existing water out over a flat area or drain it off map's edge.  You can achieve both goals by digging under the source and to the map's edge.  Since this is shallow water right now, you have enough time to act.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:44:11 pm »

Can I hazard a guess by saying you channeled your moat and made a hole in the ceiling of one of your upper chambers, unknowingly and by accident? My internet is being difficult, so the pictures are not loading...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:45:52 pm by Flandre »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »

i cannot really decipher the non-standard tiles, so i do not know where this smoothed area in the basement is...  i'm guessing the diamond shaped room?

if the water is shallow enough for walls, it is shallow enough for pumps.  pumps will block liquid with the unpassible tile.  if drawing from the same z as the output, you dont have to worry about overflow.  with a little bit of planning, you can use this slight setback to provide yourself with near-unlimited power.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »

I cant build flood gates because it says there is water in the tile!

Im screwed! Not you, Geschudtumam!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

You need to offload the water to some other place by mining a tunnel or two (and don't forget to put the doors in your tunnel) and only mine the last piece of the stone when the tunnel (and cistern perhaps) is built and your problem is easily solved. Seeing how this is not even an endless water source, you could try draining it all into a multiple Z-level cistern.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:05:36 am »

Divert the water source. Then plug the leak into your fort.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 03:46:21 am »

I say what can help you is The Big Cave-In From Above(TM).
That's the only acceptable way of stopping the water.
Oh, or magma.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:51:33 am »

I cant build flood gates because it says there is water in the tile!

Im screwed! Not you, Geschudtumam!
Divert the water source. Then plug the leak into your fort.
Also, note that when diverting water, the water level will usually fluctuate quite a bit. Continue un-suspending the gate every time it's canceled, and as long as they get a bit of work done between each suspension, eventually it'll be completed.

Obviously, this doesn't help unless you can get it low enough to place the structure, and for your dwarves to get that bit of work done in between each spike.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.