Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed up release of new version!  (Read 2966 times)

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed up release of new version!
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

Pretty Please?  I love adventure mode, but the next set of updates(even whats done right now) will make it like 1000x better.  So could you please not make this the super gynormic update to end all updates?
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Speed up release of new version!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:08:25 pm »

Yeah Toady go ahead and add this to the end of the release checklist.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »

I am perfectly fine with waiting on th new realease. more time= less bugs.
Rushing Toady ain't gonna bring the new version any faster.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:06 am »

Please. "The update to end all updates?" That is exaggerating. It's a cool update, and I too want to see ir, but if Toady had stopped and released 31.26 or 32.01 or whatever once he got the new city design, we wouldn't have mummies, werebeasts, or multiple-level designations, which will allow me to colonize steeper areas. Go Toady One!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:12 am »

Even as impatient as I, having wasted half my summer doing nothing but playing silly card games and being entirely bored doing nothing else in anticipation of the release, still agree that I'd rather wait for a better release than get a super-buggy one now. What's the fun in killing mummies if there's a bug in 1 in every 4 games where they turn you into My Little Ponies and ride you to the aid of nonexistant elves against the dwarves? Or what's the fun in there being vampires if all they do is punch you, and never bite? Or what's the fun in there being catacombs when there's some random glacier blocking the entryway in 3 in every 5 games?

Okay, so those are pretty much ridiculous examples of bugs and ratios, but you get my point. It's only fun when there's a certain minimum of bugs in any particular release. Minimum meaning the dorfy tradition of deadly carp and glaciers in tropical ocean regions.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:57 am »

I get your guy's arguments, but it seems to me that more bug will pile up with all the new features than if it was released/debugged in smaller sets of features.  I mean sure it's cool that the next release is going to have all these new features, but wouldn't it be nearly the same if it got released in slightly smaller blocks?  Sure it might not be as cool to have cities without mummies, but it would be cooler than having towns the way they are now by quite a long shot.  I wasn't implying that toady should rush, just that smaller releases seem more pragmatic.  But meh, if toady feels this works better for him then I guess that's cool too lol.
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:34 am »

read the article about DF in NY time,toady said that probaly the game will be finished after 20 years form now.
i dont care,but as soon as i finish my graduation and get a job (9th grade) i'll support the game,and pray for toady manage to scape from the cold hands of M$,even i being an atheist,

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »

read the article about DF in NY time,toady said that probaly the game will be finished after 20 years form now.
i dont care,but as soon as i finish my graduation and get a job (9th grade) i'll support the game,and pray for toady manage to scape from the cold hands of M$,even i being an atheist,

I ain't usually rude, especially on this forum, but why must you give so much info about yourself when saying this?

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:24:51 pm »

No way. Let toady take it as fast or as slow as he wants. It's his metaphorical ship. Plus, more time spent on the game means more content and less bugs (usually... ;) )
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

duglaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:28 am »

I have to admit, I'm getting impatient myself ... and then slapping myself for doing so, 'cause it's a great game.

However, as someone who primarily plays in fortress mode, all the adventurer mods I see being tossed around for this next version don't really excite me a lot.  I'd like to see military training fixed(so that the infantry has a fighting chance against the goblin hordes), the economy fixed (dwarves disposing of old clothes and *replacing* them), taxation etc ...  Things that did exist in the older version, but got lost in translation.  The bugs i've seen discussed in these forums for a loooong time.

It's a great game, and I enjoy it.  But you can only take a fortress so far ... and then the holes in the game become pretty evident.  But that just means it's time to abandon the fortress (or open a gate to hell) and start a new one.  ;)

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:11:01 am »

I have to admit, I'm getting impatient myself ... and then slapping myself for doing so, 'cause it's a great game.

However, as someone who primarily plays in fortress mode, all the adventurer mods I see being tossed around for this next version don't really excite me a lot.  I'd like to see military training fixed(so that the infantry has a fighting chance against the goblin hordes), the economy fixed (dwarves disposing of old clothes and *replacing* them), taxation etc ...  Things that did exist in the older version, but got lost in translation.  The bugs i've seen discussed in these forums for a loooong time.

It's a great game, and I enjoy it.  But you can only take a fortress so far ... and then the holes in the game become pretty evident.  But that just means it's time to abandon the fortress (or open a gate to hell) and start a new one.  ;)

I totally agree.
Fix and fine tune the game how it is now and then start adding new things.
I would like to see the economy and guilds again, and something that would make the game less of a micromanaging nightmare.
But despite all this i still absolutely love this game.
shff.wordpress.com

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:54 am »

<snip>

I totally agree.

I would like to see the economy and guilds again, and something that would make the game less of a micromanaging nightmare.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, Dwarf Fortress is in Alpha, and in general the Alpha stage of software is a time for adding new features, you might do a little bugfixing, to get the game/feature to a playable state but you don't do any more than that. The idea behind this is that there is no point doing expensive and time consuming debugging/optimizing if you are going to be adding a new feature next week that breaks everything. At some point it will become obvious that the state DF is in lends itself well to a big bug push and maybe some optimizing but until Toady decides that he is ready for that I think he should stick with feature implementation and simple bugfixing.

With regards to the release cycle, I think it's fair to say that many would like more regularity in terms of releases from Toady, but I feel that Toady has made it quite clear that he doesn't want to be bound too much by community expectations, I know that my code suffers when I face arbitrary deadlines as I don't think things through as well as I could. Besides, the thrill of opening the DF homepage each day to read devlog and check for a new update is a little bright point in my day.

edit:fixed a few little errors
edit:cleaned up few more errors!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:38:45 am by optimumtact »
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 03:57:19 am »

I totally agree.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, Dwarf Fortress is in Alpha, the Alpha stage of any software, is a time for adding new features, you might do a little bugfixing, to get the game/feature to a playable state but you don't do any more than that. The idea behind this is that there is no point doing expensive and time consuming debugging/optimizing if you are going to be adding a new feature next week that breaks everything. At some point it will become obvious that the state DF is in lends itself well to a big bug push and maybe some optimizing but until Toady decides that he is ready for that I think he should stick with feature implementation and simple bugfixing.

With regards to the release cycle, I think it's fair to say that many would like more regularity in terms of releases from Toady, but I feel that Toady has made it quite clear that he doesn't want to be bound too much by community expectations, I know that my code suffers when I face arbitrary deadlines as I don't think things through as well as I could. Besides, the thrill of opening the DF homepage each day to read devlog and check for a new update is a little bright point in my day.
edit:fixed a few little errors

Sorry, but i don't see that Dwarf Fortress will get out off Alpha anytime soon.

shff.wordpress.com

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:51 am »

<snip>
Sorry, but i don't see that Dwarf Fortress will get out off Alpha anytime soon.

I didn't say anything about Dwarf Fortress leaving Alpha, I just said that I disagree with your statement about how Toady should fix and fine tune the game how it is now, I said that because it is still in Alpha the fixing and finetuning shouldn't be prioritised over new features.

Did you actually read my post?
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:04:31 am »

Yes.
All i wanted to say is that for the game to be fine tuned, you would need to wait a very long time.

"the Alpha stage of any software, is a time for adding new features, you might do a little bugfixing, to get the game/feature to a playable state but you don't do any more than that."
shff.wordpress.com
Pages: [1] 2