Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26890 times)

Shiio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Foolish, as I think migrants are our only chance of saving ourselves in a single year.

(Oh my god. Who did these bedrooms? No wonder there is a tantrum spiral.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:59:26 pm by Shiio »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Lol I dug out the bedrooms during Basque's year, but in the next two(?) years that followed, no one got around to furnishing 'em. :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who needs beds when our lives ought not to be spent sleeping but ought instead be spent in devotion to Our Most Hoary Lady of Death? She has shown her displeasure with Sarekmorul!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Must not die.. *Bump* LIVE! LIVE I SAY!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back to page one with this! Shiio, how's it going?

Shiio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back, finally. My entire computer decided to die out....Now I've gotten a new laptop, and will have to restart the save. D:

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back, finally. My entire computer decided to die out....Now I've gotten a new laptop, and will have to restart the save. D:

That's alright by me, good to see you're back!

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

I'm now ready to take my turn again, and I promise I'm not going away again for a good while. Is it alright if I go after Shiio?

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile

Add me to the list, I'm between new and old, so I hope I am eligible. :P
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Working two jobs. Hnng. I'm still monitoring the thread. Shilo needs to finish taking his turn. Then MilestoneTwo can take a turn, then terkiey can take a turn (if there's anything left).

Shiio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, apparently my new laptop does not enjoy being properly compatible with Dwarf Fortress -- I don't even understand it anymore. I'll be taking it back, someone else go ahead, I suppose I'll play DF in another month or so when I get enough spare money.

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MilestoneTwo, you're up. We're also in a death dive. :D

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

Oh lawd. I'm sorry it's been two days, I've been kinda busy. But I can get it now, for sure--I've got a clear week from now until the start of school, so unless I get life-threateningly ill I should be able to finish the turn. First post goes up tonight.

EDIT: Just for the record, what's the dorfing list look like, if we've got one?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:24:31 pm by MilestoneTwo »

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

This is a set of masterpiece yak leather records. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is a part of the history of Echopaged the dwarven fortress in elven ink. On the item is an image of dwarves in elven ink. The dwarves are traveling. The image relates to the founding of Echopaged by The Tin Mechanisms of The Boats of Will in 7. On the item is a heavily burned image of dwarves and unidentifiable figures. The dwarves appear to be making a plaintive gesture.

Preachedwinds, Human University, 107

“Ah! Inod! Come in, come in. Professor Foundedcrafts has told me much of your accomplishments.”

The student strode into the room and took a moment to absorb the various archaeological oddities lining the wall before speaking to their owner. “Professor Ritestrange. It’s good to finally meet you. Raresh speaks highly of you as well. I understand you’ve procured an artifact of some value?”

Ritestrange thought for a moment. “I don’t know about procured, that seems a little too…legitimate. But yes, I’ve found something very interesting. How familiar would you say you are with dwarves?”

Inod frowned. “Dwarves? I have no love for dwarves.”

With a laugh, Ritestrange glanced pointedly at the pale band on Inod’s otherwise well-sunned right hand. The gesture wasn’t lost on Inod.

“How did you—“

“—know about that? It takes a special kind of arrogance to attempt to drink a dwarf under the table, Inod.”

Chastened, Inod’s frown intensified. That ring had been a family heirloom.

The professor waved away the inconsequential matter before continuing. “I’ve managed to procure a series of volumes written by one of the overseers of Echopaged, the first great dwarven outpost in this land. They contain a year of its history, which is an absolutely fascinating glance into the dwarven psyche, as well as an excellent source of historical fact.”

Ritestrange retreated into a back room and after a minute or so returned with a thick sheaf of square leather sheets, each nearly three feet long and slightly more than half of that wide. “You’ll notice that every sheet is perfectly cut into a golden rectangle,” he commented. “Dwarves are very particular about these things.”

Despite himself, Inod leaned forward. Anything related to the earliest times would be sure to hold his attention, and this was no different. “Where did you find these?”

“I happen to be very good friends with a dwarven historian named Bomrek Pickarched. I challenged him to a contest of wits—a much better idea than a drinking contest.”

Inod ignored the remark. “What was the contest?”

Ritestrange grinned. “Tic-tac-toe. Dwarves are absolutely hopeless at it.”

5 Granite 12

I am not a conventional dwarf.

I am not so xenophobic, for one thing. I write these words using elven ink on leather cured using human techniques—In the Mountainhome, some dwarves would consider this alone to be grand treason, and I would be strung up by my figgin and put on display. The reason, indeed, I am out here in the Grand Experiment, as I have come to call it, is for my so-called “elf-loving” ways.

She was short and had a beard! It was too dark to see her ears! How in Zod's name was I supposed to know?

I also think I am far more practical than most of my kin. It's for this reason that I've made the decision to accept the responsibility of overseer, meaning that the personal journal I keep will become the fortress' official record for a time.

The date is 5th Granite--the time has gotten away from me since I stepped up as overseer, and the assumption of my new responsibilities has left me with little time for chronicling.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The goblins are still banging on the gates and destroying things at the old fort out of spite.

Some of the dwarves claim to hear the screams of Zanziik II. Something about Molenarok and the downfall of dwarfkind. Such superstitions are another belief I do not share with my brethren, but the stress of frontier life has odd effects on the mind. I have ordered a memorial slab made, if only to settle their fears.

Despite the ghosts and goblins, life goes on in Echopaged, as it has for quite some time now. I have one major project I'd like finished before the year is out, however. An old friend of mine who was good with mechanisms from the Mountainhomes had a saying.

"How am I going to stop some big bad motherhubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

The answer--use a ballista.

And if that don't work? Use more ballista."

Short I know, but it sort of establishes what's going on. I'll do some real playing later, or possibly tomorrow. Interestingly, just about everydorf is feeling pretty good about the situation (which I tried to reflect in the writings of my as-yet-unidentified overseer.) I have to agree with them, honestly--the goblins can't get in and we've got loads of supplies to last. Yeah, any migrants are going to have their throats torn out, but screw them, we don't need them anyway. As long as nobody starts falling apart from all the FB blood lying around we'll be fine through my year for certain, and we've got enough resources to pursue a project like ballista-building.

As for the actual writing, I can reference fewer things if people find it distracting.

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

24 Granite 12

Things appear to be worse than I originally thought. The fortress has more inexplicable things within it than goblins without it. Through either the Madness of 10-11 or the goblins or the terrors of the underground that occasionally visit, we've lost our manager. I grabbed a random hauler and asked him if he wanted to be our new manager/broker/bookkeeper. He jumped at the chance, but I realized that nowhere in the fortress could I find a space that would work for him, since what was apparently intended to be a dining hall looked like there'd just been a particularly raucous party.

I set up a table and chair in that space and told him it was his for his duties, and he scrambled off to do it right away.

The bedrooms are another mystery. The actual spaces are nice enough, smoothed and reasonable large, but each room has exactly one bed, and nothing else. Not even a door.

Not only that, but we only had enough doors for about half the rooms. I've ordered doors made to cover the rest, as well as cabinets and coffers to increase the value of the rooms a bit. At some point, I may consider engraving them, but I'm guessing anything produced by our legendary engravers won't be particularly pleasant, given the history of this fortress.

I had a look at the temple in the east wing today. Impressive, to be sure, but why the dining hall in here seems to be the only one, especially considering how far it is from the bedrooms and any food stockpiles is beyond me. And then there's the catacombs below. The main room is macabre and sombering, but some of the side rooms have more oddities.

Why, precisely, these two occupied sarcophagi are surrounded by discarded clothes I'm not sure I want to know.

Speaking of apparent necrophilia, there's also a dead dwarf in a locked room with caged goblins and one bed (which isn't actually his).

I have no words.

But even that is not nearly as unfortunate as the state of our military. Exactly half of it is possessed, for one thing, and for another thing it consists of precisely two people.

I've drafted about two-thirds of the migrant workforce into the military. I believe their assignment to smooth most of the fortress was intended as some sort of training regimen, but we really don't have time to wait for it to come to fruition at this point. The military also lacks what I would consider a proper barracks, so I set one up near the mechanical automated training machine that sticks out into the hallway.

5 Slate 12

There's a series of rooms up one level that also has the lever to the main gate. Were we not in a siege, I would have it moved to somewhere where more dwarves frequent, or possibly into the Survivor's room, making him a Lever Puller.

However I have no interest in putting the bridge down even briefly, given that Goblin Santa and his little helpers are still throwing things around. I have to wonder if the abundance of things to smash over in the old fortress is encouraging them to stay.

11 Slate 12

We have a massive backlog of people who need memorializing or burial.

The previous overseer told the masons to make as many coffins as they could, but now we have a surplus.

But other than the laborious business of remembering the dead, things proceed fairly efficiently.

---

I went ahead and dorfed myself as the only dwarf with engineering skill in the fortress. He's really skinny and tall for a dwarf IIRC, so he works as the intellectual "radical" I'm trying to write (but not doing very well, because a lot of this nuts-and-bolts running-the-fortress sort of stuff doesn't lend itself to character development well.) Not a very eventful post, I know. The trolls smashed a green glass statue, that's probably the most interesting thing that happened. Maybe the next few months will be better.

I'm hoping to stick to one update a day, but I won't promise anything in case I jinx it.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:52:39 pm by MilestoneTwo »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18