Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26903 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Did the fire serpent FB remind anybody else of Volvagia from OoT?

I had NEVER seen a fully flaming FB before, or even one with fire.  The devastation it had caused was insane, though none of it hit the fort.  So much cave moss burnt..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edited my post on page 9 to included my first update. Hope it's alright!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edited my post on page 9 to included my first update. Hope it's alright!
It was wonderful, Zanziik! I cannot wait to hear about your reign. Just take as much time as you deem necessary, because truthfully, I have butterflies in my stomach...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great writing so far, this is gonna be interesting :D

Anyways, that lever controls the golden gate.. I've never used notes before so I didn't think to mark it.

The seemingly random room was to be the hospital, but I didn't get around to doing much with it yet.  See the 1 channeled tile? The beginnings of the well, which I didn't have time to even design, let alone impliment.  Gonna be fun getting that thing filled..

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I'm a real "new player" but I am looking into maybe joining my first succession fort. Is that cool?
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I'm a real "new player" but I am looking into maybe joining my first succession fort. Is that cool?

We're all full up right now, but at the end of the 7th turn, we might decide to add people in. If so, you can certainly be in line!

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ignore this post, I thought more turns had passed
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:44:50 pm by Tersr »
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're all full up right now, but at the end of the 7th turn, we might decide to add people in. If so, you can certainly be in line!

I'd say let him in! Keep the list open, there's never too many people for a succession game!

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 2nd Granite, 10

I have laid out plans, though they are long term, for our fortress' Great Temple of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush. The plans are extravagant, but no expense can be spared for Our Most Hoary Lady.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 3rd Granite, 10

I asked Crustypeanut for some indication of his intention with both the unidentified lever and the orthoclase room. He clarified that the lever controls the golden bridge used to enter the new fortress (as I suspected, since there is nothing else in the new fortress to which a lever can be connected) and the room was intended as a new hospital, complete with a well. I contemplated the issue of bringing water to the well and decided to dig a vast aqueduct to bring water from the river without flooding the fortress.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 4th Granite, 10

While digging the aqueduct, I struck another vein of gold.

The plans for the well will be revised to allow us to dig out the precious metal. Perhaps this ore will be used to fill the Great Temple with statues.

The butcheries in the old fort are festering with a rancorous miasma, the byproduct of rotten animal parts.

I have designated a large area alongside the golden road to serve as a refuse pile. Lustrous beauty beside horrible decay. Such is the way of life.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 8th Granite, 10

A minerdwarf slipped into the aquaduct and fell 47 z-levels to his death, may Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush rest his soul. We cannot reach the body, and so he must be memorialized on a slab at the earliest convenience. His body may contaminate the well. This is most unfortunate...

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 11th Granite, 10

Decided to dig the miner's body out of the well. His remains cannot be permitted to contaminate the well.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 4th Slate, 10

20 new dwarves have joined us in Sarekmorul, putting us at over 100 souls for the first time in history. Among their number are three medics, an excellent minerdwarf, and several smiths of various experience.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 28th Slate, 10

Two of my co-founders have given birth to a boy. This is a joyous occasion!

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 2nd Felsite, 10

I have dispatched the Oracular Daggers to deal with an infestation of Rhesus Macaques at the front gate. The monkeys are terrorizing any who pass by them, causing an untold disturbance in the mechanics of the fortress.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 12th Felsite, 10

One of the ghosts haunting the fortress has been put to rest, his corpse has been moved into a coffin in the catacombs. May he join Our Most Hoary Lady of Death in the afterlife.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 13th Felsite, 10

An elfish caravan has arrived Enina Edinu, probably bearing useless cloth and the like. We'll evaluate what they've brought before deciding their fate...

The elfish trader wouldn't take a 260☼ profit, so I seized the items I wanted. Some medical supplies, wood, drinks, and a cheetah, a wolf, a tiger, and a cougar, because fuck it. The elfish trader left in a fit, which is the only manner in which an elf should leave a mountain home alive.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 18th Felsite, 10

Another ghost has been put to rest, leaving only one to haunt our halls.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 20th Felsite, 10

The last ghost of Sarekmorul has been laid to rest.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 1st Hematite, 10

The spring has ended and summer has arrived. With the change in seasons, we see progress on the Great Temple and near completion of the well. All ghosts have been laid to rest and no hostiles have been encountered, by the blessing of Our Most Hoary Goddess of Fortresses, Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush. I am proud to have accomplished as much as I have and I intend to continue my work in the name of the Goddess. For now I must cease writing, duty calls.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:55:48 pm by Zanziik »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find that putting a highly secured room with a refuse pile near a number of craftsdwarf shops and a butcher's shop or two is useful, since only dwarves who NEED to go in there and face the miasma will, and the butcher / bonecarvers can get to their goods quickly. 

Never liked outside refuse piles, the outside is for elves and hoomins!

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How much is the aqueduct expected to supply? Water flows painfully slow through a one tile wide tunnel. If the reservoir at the end is of any significant size, a decent portion of the water may evaporate before filling the tank.

I had NEVER seen a fully flaming FB before, or even one with fire.  The devastation it had caused was insane, though none of it hit the fort.  So much cave moss burnt..

For future reference, flame FB's are best dealt with from afar. If you have an organized crossbow squad and an open space to fight the FB in, it'll save a ton of devastation. They can do a ton of damage, but can't really take it.

"The (iron bolt) strikes the body, breaking away the tissue!"

Instakill a lot of the time : /
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How much is the aqueduct expected to supply? Water flows painfully slow through a one tile wide tunnel. If the reservoir at the end is of any significant size, a decent portion of the water may evaporate before filling the tank.

The pressure of the river will push the water quickly to the reservoir, only the last few tiles will be unpressurized and thus slow-flowing.

@Crustypeanut:

Bah! I love the idea of elves walking past a rotting pile of corpses on their way in to trade.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edited my post above to include the spring update. Hope you enjoy reading, not much of note has happened but I'm making progress on my own projects so that's a positive haha. And I haven't annihilated the fortress. Celebrate the little things. More tomorrow.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to request a re-dwarf, someone in the army, a spear or axe dwarf if thats possible.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to request a re-dwarf, someone in the army, a spear or axe dwarf if thats possible.

I'll make note of this and get you in tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18