Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26896 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Basque, try constructing floors over that trench you were intending to build a magma smelter on. Leave one hole of size 1x1, and then try building the smelter roughly over that hole.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Basque, try constructing floors over that trench you were intending to build a magma smelter on. Leave one hole of size 1x1, and then try building the smelter roughly over that hole.

If the magmaworks is setup in a dangerous manner by the time I get the save I may make rectifying that a priority of mine.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(You can't build a building over a constructed floor or floor grate. I removed that edit because I did figure out how to build the smelters, but like before since the impassable tile isn't over the magma we're going to get magma creatures down there sooner or later. Hopefully later than sooner.)

"Boo!"

"AH! What was that?!"

"What was what?"

The dwarf is hit over the head by a cabinet.

"That"

"A ghost?! Didn't you all have any plans for proper burials?!"

"We had plans for one burial"

(Suddenly, blood everywhere! I've never actually had a ghost in any of my games before, never-the-less such a violent one. I have no idea where his body is, if I can't find it I'll have to use a slab.Hopefully that will be enough to satisfy him).

Edit: Looks like that ghost pretty much took out one of our dwarfs. I'm trying to get a hospital ready as fast as possible.

Edit 2, This Time It's Personal:

I have no idea if any of these dwarfs were properly buried or not, but I haven't seen any other tombs or memorials. We might just end up with a horribly haunted fortress. Does anyone know the number for the Dwarf Ghostbusters?

25 new Migrants have arrived, thankfully including a better doctor and some decent skills. Let me know if anyone wants to be dwarfed!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:34:20 pm by Basque »

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If any of them are a marksdwarf, will you dorf me? Four years of experience RL. :p

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If any of them are a marksdwarf, will you dorf me? Four years of experience RL. :p

Four years experience as a real life archer? Holy snap Fievreux, that's really impressive! I'm making you the leader of our archer squad, our best marksdwarf+best ambusher (and almost best dodger too)!

Also, one month down. It is now the first of Slate. Here's where we stand:

All the farmers are due to the insane amount of plant gathering. They're almost all assigned to doing something more important now. Our military is shaping up but we need more barracks for training.

Still haven't found any iron so no major weapon production yet (and still no armor) but our silver makes good blunt weapons like hammers and maces. For the people talking about badgers earlier apparently at some point a handful were killed, we now have 10 badger bone crossbows and 1 iron crossbow, enough to outfit a whole squad if we get more marksdwarfs.

I have a hospital set up but right now it only has one bed and one table (for surgery). The ghost is still the biggest problem, I'm hoping the memorial slab will make him go way when it's finished.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Screenshots:

The good:

The meh:

The ugly:

I started Friday EST and Sunday's almost over. I really do appreciate you guys being so cool about this, but I'm afraid I might have jump the gun a bit on this one. I got really excited about the idea but this turned out to not be a very good weekend for me. I really don't think it'd be fair to everyone else who makes a 3-day deadline for me not to. I've got some other stuff to deal with and won't be able to be around for the week. Here's the save now, someone can either cover the extra time or go back to the previous save. Good luck!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4724

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well, Basque, and I hope that things improve for you! Thank you so much for playing with us, you were an absolutely wonderful player and I loved reading your updates. They were fantastic.

Because we now have a vacancy, anyone can fill in if they'd like. If any of the players later in line would like to jump in and finish this year up, please tell me before you do and if there's no competition then go for it. Turn order will resume as normal at the end of the year. I'm of the opinion that a very important dwarf should be named Basque.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will not be able to play this morning, so I hope Zanziik is up to it...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

How much time is left on Basque's turn? I can finish his turn, then let the person who was originally after Basque do their turn, then I'll take my normal turn when it comes up. 

Edit: Downloading it now, I'll finish whats left of his turn by today and get it posted, unless anyone objects to that.  I'll wait for my real turn after Flandre and Zanziik, so as to not mess up the order.

Edit 2: Holy mother of Cacame..

Edit 3: Apparently, Ironhand's Graphic set doesn't pair well with engraved walls from other sets.  Though everything else seems to be fine.. it puts rather interesting tiles up for the engraved walls, which it doesn't normally do. I've seen other tilesets do it though, so I'll just stick with it for now.  o.O

Edit 4: I'm glad we have a ton of miners, it'll put my plans in fruition that much faster... muahahahaha!

Edit 5: Btw, if anyone wants to be dorfed that hasn't yet, I'll do so.  Basque, you especially deserve one for your awesome writing.  :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:30:36 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Durp, ignore this post. 

In other news.. I love Dwarf Therapist.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:27:47 am by Crustypeanut »

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still planning to take my turn but I'm busy today, I'll post when I pick up Crustypeanut's finished turn. Sorry to lose you Basque, you did very well.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Giant Serpent made of fire + Dwarven Soldiers in leather dresses = no bueno... OH THE DWARFANITY
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:19:38 am by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

17th Felsite, Year 9, Late Spring,

Crustypeanut strode into one of the few available offices of the fort.  Earlier that day, while he was minding his own business cooking up a delightful meal of turtle biscuits, a dwarf strode in and told him that he had been elected 'Mayor' for the remainder of the year as the previous leader, a dwarf by the name of Basque, had contracted a case of Dwarfpox, and would be out of commission for a while.

Crustypeanut, the fort's chef, was not much of a leader.  He lacked confidence in almost everything he did, and he wasn't very compromising with others.  However, he had been elected Mayor in a quick vote, probably due to his popularity as the person who makes everyone dinner all the time.  That job is second in popularity to only the brewer.  The only reason one of them wasn't voted in is just that – two brewers to split the votes, which allowed the chef to take the win.  Not that he was very happy about this.. but he would make do.

The first thing he did as mayor was try and sort everything out.  Talking to his aide, a dwarf suspiciously known only as “The Therapist" who apparently couldn't been seen by anyone else, Crusty looked over the job list of the fort.

It was a mess.

Crusty was a stickler for perfection – he believed that specialization was the key for anything.  It was how it went in the kitchens back at the Mountainhomes, and thus he would apply the same logic in a fort proper.  As it stood, the job lists were way out of wack.  A large number of dwarves had nearly every job assigned to them – there were dozens of dwarves with the masonry, wood burning, plant processing, soap making, mechanics, potash and lye making, animal training, and hauling jobs on, to name a few. 

While he was fixing this, a dwarf rudely barged into his office, scaring the living crap out of him.  “Mayor! A huge, flaming serpent is attacking!” 

“What? No, those are just fire snakes.. they're always there in the magma tube.”

“No! This isn't one of those, this is a giant serpent! Made of fire!  Its huuuuge!”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The soldiers were ordered to organize and attack the beast.. the axedwarves Uvast and Sakzul were the first two to the scene, and although they were able to slice off it's fiery mandibles, they were struck down.  The rest of the soldiers followed suit, and after a violent battle, the beast had been felled.  A number of dwarves lost their lives in it's wake, including one of the two crossbowdwarves, Bimbul, a recruit by the name of Tirist, and finally another recruit by the name of Tersr.  Before Tersr died however, he had felled the great beast, then was consumed by fire shortly after.

Only one of the surviving soldiers had any type of injury.  The lone swordsdwarf, Lokum, had the fat burnt off from her lower body.  This didn't bother her much at all, and she resumed training.

As for the caves from which the beast entered, much of it was consumed by fire.  Many plants and precious webs were burnt to a crisp, though the fort proper was spared such a fate.  The fires lasted a better part of a month before dying off. 

While this battle raged, numerous other things were happening.  The elven traders came, nearly at the end of spring.  The broker was told to seize anything and everything of value, including a mountain of cloth, some booze, fruits and berries, cages, a horse, barrels and buckets, some shields, and various medical supplies.  The elves left with barely the clothes on their backs.  If they were dwarf-sized, they wouldn't have even left with that. 

Another thing that occurred was a wedding, of all things.  It was between one of the farmers and a carpenter; a wedding reception was organized in celebration. 

Goblin thieves were also running amok, and two children were taken in the night.  Crusty reminded himself to request a pair of breeding dogs next time the dwarven caravan was here, so he could get guards stationed at the entrances.  A third child was taken a few days later.

25th Felsite, Year 9, Late Spring

Crustypeanut observed a rather odd doorway.  There was a large sign on it that said “DO NOT OPEN”, and it was locked.  He asked his therapist about it, and while doing so he looked like he was talking to thin air to the other dwarves.  Did they elect a madman? Only time would tell.

It seems, the door that was locked, was the door to the well.  There was another door upstairs just above it that led to the exact same well, also locked.  While looking at the blueprints, Crusty noticed that if one of these two doors were to be either opened or destroyed, it would be catastrophic.  The ENTIRE fort would be flooded, as the well got it's water directly from the river.  He commissioned walls to be built to seal the doors permanently.

2nd Hematite, Year 9, Early Summer

Excavation finally began of the new fort proper.  The entrance would be moved to the other side of the river, where a tunnel was to be built leading down far below, even past the first caverns.  A large layer of marble was found, and the fort proper was to be built in solid marble.  A large team of dwarves were sent to begin excavations after the rudimentary bridge was built.  A proper bridge, made of solid gold, would be built later, along with a paved road of the same material. 

This fort would be highly organized and would consist of only the finest materials and craftsdwarfship. 

14th Hematite, Year 9, Early Summer

A hammerdwarf threw a tantrum today.  He was unhappy due to one of his friends dying in the recent forgotten beast attack.  Luckily, nobody was hurt, and all he did was throw a single object and yell obscenities in the caverns, before calming down and going back to training. 

21st Hematite, Year 9, Early Summer

Dangit.

The fort proper had finally been reached, and was being excavated.  Though the layer had plenty of marble, it also contained a large amount of cobaltite.. the fort wouldn't be as uniform as he had hoped, but he'd make it work nonetheless. 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:26:47 am by Crustypeanut »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice, Crustypeanut! I was wondering when someone would play as a schizophrenic dwarf.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I died? Well, at least the FB died as well.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18